By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - STALKER 2 is getting NFT's........

Darwinianevolution said:

That makes me wonder: What happens when one game that implements NFTs in any way suddenly becomes unsupported and goes offline?

Then the NFT is completely worthless. The NFT you would "own" would have been made exclusively for the game it was made for, so if that game goes offline, there's nothing you can do with that item.

Unless, somehow, it becomes one of those situations where there are so few NFT's for a specific item in a game that didn't last 6 months, and it becomes a digital collectors item. How that would happen, I have no idea lol

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
PAOerfulone said:

Ok, I here all this backlash and craze around NFTs.

And I'm the one guy who has no idea what the hell an NFT is.

I dont either. Tried to read about it, but only became more confused...

Here's a video that breaks it down:

Ubisoft Quartz NFT Announcement Was So Mass Disliked That The Trailer Got Delisted - YouTube

Here's an example of how an NFT can be exploited in gaming. The average microtransaction skin is somewhere between $15-$20, which is insane as it is. If Ubisoft sees a certain item gains insane popularity, they can synthetically raise the value of that item to where instead of spending $15 for a skin, you're now paying $80. And all of this is backed by a specific cryptocurrency that Ubisoft implemented into their system, and they're making a ton of money off of all these sales. 

In CS:GO, it's so out of control with knives that can run you around $1000 in the Steam marketplace. And that's without Valve's intervention because it's just being paid for by whatever you put in your Steam wallet, but NFT's have real monetary value, which is Ubisoft says players will become "stakeholders" in their games. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 17 December 2021

The fact that Peter Molyneux is jumping aboard should tell you something about it. His company has sold $50m worth on his new game with NFT's. One of the digital 'plot' has even sold for a staggering $900k >_>

Yeah, you know this isn't going to end well if or when this takes off in the gaming industry. The only use I see for this more exploitation for the general mass or something more nefarious like crime and money laundering. Also count me out of future Ubi games.

Last edited by hinch - on 17 December 2021

gtotheunit91 said:
KLXVER said:

I dont either. Tried to read about it, but only became more confused...

Ubisoft Quartz NFT Announcement Was So Mass Disliked That The Trailer Got Delisted - YouTube

Here's an example of how an NFT can be exploited in gaming. The average microtransaction skin is somewhere between $15-$20, which is insane as it is. If Ubisoft sees a certain item gains insane popularity, they can synthetically raise the value of that item to where instead of spending $15 for a skin, you're now paying $80. And all of this is backed by a specific cryptocurrency that Ubisoft implemented into their system, and they're making a ton of money off of all these sales. 

In CS:GO, it's so out of control with knives that can run you around $1000 in the Steam marketplace. And that's without Valve's intervention because it's just being paid for by whatever you put in your Steam wallet, but NFT's have real monetary value, which is Ubisoft says players will become "stakeholders" in their games. 

Starting to understand I think. Not sure how it is really bad, but EA said its the future of gaming, so Im just going to assume its very bad.

KLXVER said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Starting to understand I think. Not sure how it is really bad, but EA said its the future of gaming, so Im just going to assume its very bad.

Here's the biggest names that are fully embracing NFT's in gaming: EA, Ubisoft, and Peter Molyneux (biggest con artist in the gaming industry)

So far the biggest opponents to NFT's in gaming: The entirety of Xbox including its first-party studios with Phil Spencer declaring them as "exploitative" and Valve. Valve outright banned NFT's on the entirety of Steam!

Those 2 things should tell you everything you need to know. 

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

That makes me wonder: What happens when one game that implements NFTs in any way suddenly becomes unsupported and goes offline?

Same thing that happens with all online games that go off-line, you're left with nothing.

Also what happens when people stop mining, bitcoin and nfts poof into oblivion.

Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:

I dint know that gamepass only had first party titles. 

But of course. I truly belive subscription services like theese will truly hurt game quality. 

Mean while MS just released two of their best games that released day one on GP and the quality of the games were not affected. Assumptions are never the best arguments.

Where you hiding under a rock the past month that 343i was gettimg all that backlash for the way the multyplayer launch? Did you miss the official 343i guy who made an official thread on some thread( I think Reddit? Dont remember) and ended up taking it down from all the backlash? That the guys themselves said that going free to play was gona have implications? I guess you missed all that. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Ryuu96 said:
eva01beserk said:

Gamepass seal of approval. Or did you guys really thought they are just gona burn money for the lol's? Lets wait for the next game that will have slightly less agregious implementation and people will eat it up.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Game Pass and I don't even know how you got to that conclusion, NFTs are just a fancier way of doing MTXs and this isn't the first nor will it be the last developer who attempts it.

Are Ubisoft's NFTs also because of Game Pass? Lol.

That these mechanics where made because of gamepass? Probably not. But dont sit there and tell me that these scumy devs dont see the opportunity to sneak them into gamepass games as players see them as free games and have more inclination to spend more on free games. It's easyer to implement in services like these and they know that. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Ryuu96 said:
eva01beserk said:

That these mechanics where made because of gamepass? Probably not. But dont sit there and tell me that these scumy devs dont see the opportunity to sneak them into gamepass games as players see them as free games and have more inclination to spend more on free games. It's easyer to implement in services like these and they know that. 

I am telling you that.

NFTs are a fancy way to do MTXs, Game Pass is irrelevant, I know you dislike it but there's no reason to bring it up here.

Tell me, are Ubisoft's NFTs also because of Game Pass?

There's a grand total of 1 game with NFTs in Game Pass right now and they've already gone back on it due to backlash.

A lot more companies will try to push NFTs, Game Pass is irrelevant, they would try to push them even if Game Pass didn't exist.

I already said these mechanics where not made because of gamepass. But publishers see the opportunity and will push it on services like it. Because its easier. 

And yes more companies will try to push it. Eventually there will be one small enough to pass through without upseting a lot of people. Just like the "it's only cosmetics" line. Then escalate like we have seen.

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

Mean while MS just released two of their best games that released day one on GP and the quality of the games were not affected. Assumptions are never the best arguments.

Where you hiding under a rock the past month that 343i was gettimg all that backlash for the way the multyplayer launch? Did you miss the official 343i guy who made an official thread on some thread( I think Reddit? Dont remember) and ended up taking it down from all the backlash? That the guys themselves said that going free to play was gona have implications? I guess you missed all that. 

I guess you missed the part where Halo multiplayer has nothing to do with gamepass.

He is refering the Halo Infinite Campaign, which is indeed fantastic, and Forza Horizon 5.  I get you don't like gamepass, but at least try to keep your examples relevant lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261