By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Year in Review

Like with the Spotify wrap up, Nintendo has been doing a summary of our Switch gaming habits for the past few years. I just received mine, here are the highlights:

Total hours: 429 (vs 323 in 2020)

Top games : Hades (117h) Xenoblade Chronicles: DE (38h) and Celeste (28h)

Play modes: 285 hours docked vs 144 hours handheld

-----------------------

What are your stats?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Total hours: 400 (vs 1189 in 2020; dat pandemic and Witcher 3)

Oddly enough, my least liked game of the year, Bravely Default II, was the one I played the most, with 64 hours, followed by Monster Hunter Rise and Ys IX: Monstrum Nox with 63 and 62 hours, respectively.

In the first half of the year I played 253 hours, and in the other 147. Last June was the first time I didn't play video games in a whole month in a lot of years, I clearly remember, lol. I also barely touched the Switch in May and July, it seems, I only registered 4 hours in the system in both months.

193 hours in docked mode, 206 in portable mode, pretty much 50/50.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

My year in review and reactions:

-Played 57 games this year, an increase from 52 last year (jeez...can I just slow down a bit? How do I even have the time?)
-269 hours which is down from 391 hours last year (this makes sense, since I am a graduate student now. But...still...57 games???)
-Most played games are: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (finally beat it this year), Shin Megami Tensei V (still working on it) and Metroid Dread (love this game, gonna play through again soon).
-Lowest playing months were March, April, and July. I believe I built my PC in March, so that makes sense.
-The day I played the most was January 2nd when I bought Dark Souls Remastered (just remembered I got stuck at Sens Fortress...AGAIN!)
-74 hours on the TV and 195 hours portably (makes sense seeing as I typically play games before bed).

Nothing was too surprising, except how many games I play in a year. I need to calm down and get rid of my backlog. If only good games would stop coming out...

Played games: 35 (29 last year)

Total hours: 652 (vs 546 in 2020)

Most played games: Monster Hunter Rise 100h (and I still need to play it more)
Resident Evil 5 94h (damn addicting mercenaries mode)
Hollow Knight 53h (still lots of things to do)
Last year: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate 72h (hmmm I'm seeing a pattern here)

Play modes: 562h docked vs 90 hours handheld ("switch is a handheld" my ass)

Everything up overall. I wonder if I'll beat these numbers next year.

Last edited by RobDX - on 14 December 2021

Doctor_MG said:

My year in review and reactions:

-Played 57 games this year, an increase from 52 last year (jeez...can I just slow down a bit? How do I even have the time?)
-269 hours which is down from 391 hours last year (this makes sense, since I am a graduate student now. But...still...57 games???)
-Most played games are: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (finally beat it this year), Shin Megami Tensei V (still working on it) and Metroid Dread (love this game, gonna play through again soon).
-Lowest playing months were March, April, and July. I believe I built my PC in March, so that makes sense.
-The day I played the most was January 2nd when I bought Dark Souls Remastered (just remembered I got stuck at Sens Fortress...AGAIN!)
-74 hours on the TV and 195 hours portably (makes sense seeing as I typically play games before bed).

Nothing was too surprising, except how many games I play in a year. I need to calm down and get rid of my backlog. If only good games would stop coming out...

Surprisingly, I'm stuck when it comes to games to play, not much else catches my attention. I have not more than 10 in my backlog, I think, and I'm taking the time right now to check what other games I'm interested in. Got Ys Origin and Shin Megami Tensei III, and those seem like they'll be my final purchases for this year. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Played for 680 hours this year, compared to 664 hours last year. Strange that they didn't wait until January because there's still over 2 weeks left in the year. I wonder if it will update to accommodate that.

My most played games were:

ACNH - 294 Hours
SSBU - 107 Hours
BOTW - 70 hours

Most played game in 2020 was ACNH with 385 hours.

Most played month was November with 100 hours. December is last with 29 hours, but the data only goes through 12/12.

Most played day was November 21 with 10 hours (9 hours from Shining Pearl). Most played day last year was November 22.

658 hours docked and 22 hours not docked.

1332 days since I started playing on my Switch.
- played 128 games in 2021, 113 in 2020
- 91 newly started games in 2021
Most played games:
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana: 175 hours (top active player)
- Doom Eternal: 112 hours
- Ys IX: Monstrum Nox: 110 hours (top active player)
- Monster Hunter Rise: 99 hours
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 96 hours
Most played genres:
- Action
- Adventure
- Puzzle
- Platformer
- Strategy
Total hours in 2021: 1388
Total hours in 2020: 2063
66% TV-mode, 34% handheld-mode

Most active day: October 9th 2021 (obviously because of Metroid Dread, which I played over 70 hours up until now. I remember I played Dread until like 5am or 6am, slept for like 4 hours and then jumped straight back into it. Was a fun weekend.)

Monthly activity:
January: 186 hours
February: 147 hours
March: 129 hours
April: 99 hours
May: 147 hours
June: 130 hours
July: 125 hours
August: 107 hours
September: 125 hours
October: 140 hours
November: 53 hours (was very busy with university)

Earned gold points in 2021: 20966 (wow)
Earned platin points: 1580

Played more games than I thought, although I didn't finish many of them.

Played 14 new games in 2021(22 in 2020)

781 hours

210 hours in Asphalt 9

120 hours in Monster Hunter Rise

85 hours in Doom Eternal

80 hours in Hades

60 hours in Wargroove

Played 80% portable and 20% docked. 

July, 21 - 12 hours of play. 

Seems like people get pretty different stuff. For example I didn't get the number for how long I played on my most active day.

Kakadu18 said:

Seems like people get pretty different stuff. For example I didn't get the number for how long I played on my most active day.

really? cool.