By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 49, 2021 - (29th Nov - 5th Dec)

Kyuu said:

15-30k weekly sales is a tiny number globally, but pretty significant in Japan as far as keeping Playstation a relevant player on a country level. Scalping aside and for non-holiday seasons especially, this issue can probably be solved by slightly adjusting the regional shipment splits. Although admittedly, my knowledge about logistics is rather limited.

It's like Sony intentionally wants Japanese fans to hate and kill Playstation as soon as possible, by showing how little they care about them. I can't stand Playstation's current management! Between closing Japan Studio and giving Keiichiro Toyama the middle finger (conjecture but leave me alone I'm pissed!), going ham on funding/acquiring ONLY western studios despite Japanese games' rising popularity in the west, and refusing to port their Japanese content to PC, I can't NOT dislike those motherfuckers 😂 they're extremely unlikeable and don't seem to understand Playstation's legacy.

This dumbass Jim Ryan talking about how gaming virtually didn't exist in the middle east before Playstation makes my dislike a spontaneous emotion as well. Such ignorance.

What you said just isn't based in reality.

Japan has the number 2 shipment of PS5's, perhaps number 3 with the UK. How can the 2/3rd most delivered country be accounted as being ignored lol So what are the other 30 countries at then?

PS5 is simply in massive demand around the world, and said demand will not be met until Sony can produce 20M+ PS5's a year. If its not met next year, then 25M+ might be needed. For reference PS4 peaked at 20M.

As much as I love JP games, I cannot deny that technologically Japan has been absolutely left in the dust by the West. People forget that during the PS1/2 days, JP publishers were the biggest in the industry with the best selling titles on many platforms and their games had the best visuals, sound and animations.

Now, the West has demolished them. Western publishers have titles selling multiple times more than many JP mega titles, graphics, animation, mocap, AR/VR are all so ahead compared to Japan.

Just look at the UE5 demo, where is Japan's equivalent? Just look at Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon and compare it to Elden Ring. The biggest multiplayer games, Fortnite, Warzone, Apex, Dota, League, Valorant are all Western and JP players like them more than JP games. Its 2021 and JP third parties still haven't made a global MP Service game. Heck, South Korea managed to outdo them.

A lot of it is due to JP being so behind in software engineering. They don't treat software engineers right over there, unlike the US. US software engineers make 2-3x more, in senior positions its almost 5-10x more.

I'm glad JP pubs recovered a lot this gen due to their unique game and art design. Square Enix is now using UE, Capcom's RE Engine is great, Namco has upped their budget, SEGA and KT are slowly breaking out. Still, I don't see a world where Japan takes the crown technologically.

Playstation knows that. They weren't going to build one of the biggest gaming networks on the planet, cloud computing, AR/VR dev by being headquartered in Japan. California has top tier software engineering talent. Heck the entire world recognises that. Every major gaming company is probably investing more in the West than JP. The biggest Chinese pub went after the big US companies.

I can't remember the last time I heard of a new JP AAA game studio being founded. I guess Kojima, funded by Sony. There's like a new one every few months in the West.

Last edited by src - on 10 December 2021

Around the Network
src said:
OTBWY said:

How can anyone look at this and have any confidence in the PS brand in Japan. How are developers going to cope as the PS4 goes away next year and the PS5, which is a dud, is their only option?

JP devs are doing better than ever on Playstation.

FF7R fastest selling FF - PS4 exclusive

Nier Automata, best selling Nier game - most sales on PS4

KH3, fastest selling KH - most sales on PS4

DBZ, Naruto, Tekken, former 2 best selling ever, Tekken is approaching best selling entry ever - most sales on PS4

Persona 5, best selling Persona of all time - exclusive to PS4

Tales of Arise, nearly best selling entry of all time in a few months - most sales on PS4

MHW, best selling Japanese third party title off all time, 53% of sales on PS4

The list goes on and on and on.

The reality is nearly all Japanese games get most of their sales overseas, and guess which console has the largest audience for said Japanese games: Playstation.

What you will see is actually the opposite: PS5 will have more notable JP exclusives than PS4. FF16, Forspoken, FF7R, KoF, GG Strive is just the start.

I don't want to insult your reading comprehension but please check the highlighted part of my original comment. Also, that last sentence is just funny looking at the sales of its launch year in Japan...

Switch did well this week, matching last year. Every week should be above 200k now for 2021.

OTBWY said:
src said:

JP devs are doing better than ever on Playstation.

FF7R fastest selling FF - PS4 exclusive

Nier Automata, best selling Nier game - most sales on PS4

KH3, fastest selling KH - most sales on PS4

DBZ, Naruto, Tekken, former 2 best selling ever, Tekken is approaching best selling entry ever - most sales on PS4

Persona 5, best selling Persona of all time - exclusive to PS4

Tales of Arise, nearly best selling entry of all time in a few months - most sales on PS4

MHW, best selling Japanese third party title off all time, 53% of sales on PS4

The list goes on and on and on.

The reality is nearly all Japanese games get most of their sales overseas, and guess which console has the largest audience for said Japanese games: Playstation.

What you will see is actually the opposite: PS5 will have more notable JP exclusives than PS4. FF16, Forspoken, FF7R, KoF, GG Strive is just the start.

I don't want to insult your reading comprehension but please check the highlighted part of my original comment. Also, that last sentence is just funny looking at the sales of its launch year in Japan...

My reading comprehension is fine. Its more like you don't understand how things work.

Is there any reason you think the PS4 worldwide userbase isn't going to PS5? Your prior post on how JP devs are going cope also made no sense. 10% of their sales are from Japan. Even if Playstation was to completely disappear, they would be fine as 90% of their sales are overseas, the vast majority of those sales on Playstation.

src said:
OTBWY said:

My reading comprehension is fine. Its more like you don't understand how things work.

Is there any reason you think the PS4 worldwide userbase isn't going to PS5? Your prior post on how JP devs are going cope also made no sense. 10% of their sales are from Japan. Even if Playstation was to completely disappear, they would be fine as 90% of their sales are overseas, the vast majority of those sales on Playstation.

The problem of argumentation is contamination, the Japanese market declined, no problem we have the west. Realy?

Losing a big market, the size of the Japanese market has consequences. Sony now losing East Asia markets. The transition in East Asia, Ps4 to Ps5, is more difficult now.

Another problem is software sales, Sony lumping together the data of PS4 and PS5 and we can see the numbers, only accumulate. And physical software, in Japan, demonstrate this trend going down, East Asia will follow this trend. 

When a console is not a good distribution is more easily take down this dominance. Microsoft and Xbox are good examples of this. When Microsoft loses the UK and US, Xbox tends to lose market shares drastically, easier for competition, and Microsoft is a behemoth with loads of cash. 

The true power of Sony, besides the third-party exclusivities and the constant cut-price strategies, is the equilibrium in all big markets. With this equilibrium, Sony arranged more third-party exclusivity and harvest more market positions all around the globe. 

Losing the Japanese market may share drastically impacts the position in the global market. 

Elden Ring maybe was the big Ps5, but have minors impact in sales because of this. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 10 December 2021

Around the Network

Forspoken will sell less than 50k on the PS5 (in Japan).

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2017-2020 Top 20:

1. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 1.702.921
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.233.023
  3. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 592.940
  4. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 554.560
  5. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 544.467
  6. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Capcom) - 379.611
  7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 362.539
  8. Yo-kai Watch 4 (Level 5) - 358.356
  9. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 304.963
  10. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237
  11. Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 275.029
  12. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 269.648
  13. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 225.614
  14. Octopath Traveler (Square Enix) - 193.780
  15. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 185.990
  16. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  17. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 164.944
  18. Puyo Puyo Tetris S (Sega) - 154.573
  19. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  20. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 141.889

TOTAL: 8.266.894

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2021 Top 20:

1. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 2.326.057
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.193.583
  3. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 606.968
  4. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 309.722
  5. Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Capcom) - 227.554
  6. Baseball Spirits 2021 (Konami) - 210.259
  7. Crayon Shin-Chan (Neos) - 183.733
  8. Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus) - 180.418
  9. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  10. Rune Factory 5 (Marvelous) - 127.968
  11. Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel (Konami) - 127.221
  12. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 115.610
  13. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 115.375
  14. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 92.881
  15. Super Robot Wars 30 (Bandai Namco) - 89.931
  16. Tsukihime (Aniplex) - 89.916
  17. Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 85.310
  18. Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 72.796
  19. Minecraft Dungeons + Ultimate Edition (Microsoft) - 71.859
  20. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai Namco) - 69.449

TOTAL: 6.432.701

The Top 20 Third Party games this year are only 1.83 million away from catching up to the combined total of 2017-2020. 

I expect the final result when we get the Top 100 from Famitsu to be over 7.5 million

Agente42 said:

The problem of argumentation is contamination, the Japanese market declined, no problem we have the west. Realy?

Losing a big market, the size of the Japanese market has consequences. Sony now losing East Asia markets. The transition in East Asia, Ps4 to Ps5, is more difficult now.

Another problem is software sales, Sony lumping together the data of PS4 and PS5 and we can see the numbers, only accumulate. And physical software, in Japan, demonstrate this trend going down, East Asia will follow this trend. 

When a console is not a good distribution is more easily take down this dominance. Microsoft and Xbox are good examples of this. When Microsoft loses the UK and US, Xbox tends to lose market shares drastically, easier for competition, and Microsoft is a behemoth with loads of cash. 

The true power of Sony, besides the third-party exclusivities and the constant cut-price strategies, is the equilibrium in all big markets. With this equilibrium, Sony arranged more third-party exclusivity and harvest more market positions all around the globe. 

Losing the Japanese market may share drastically impacts the position in the global market. 

Elden Ring maybe was the big Ps5, but have minors impact in sales because of this. 

To add to this and what I posted earlier when a competitor has solved the issue in a region it kind of undermines the whole forget Japan we have the West narrative, Switch's form factor ensures that no matter who releases a game on the platform in the region they have access to the full range of consumers whether home or portable which has resulted in the software sales equaling or surpassing other platforms for third parties in the region as seen in the sheer domination of the top 30. To put it simply the Switch is heading for like 30m in the region alone that's what giving up Japan with out trying means and if future hybrid platforms continue to average 20-30m in the region it becomes a farce to think home developers and publishers will choose to overlook the region because it won't be a case of consoles not doing well it will only be a case of a certain kind of console not doing well.

This is why the whole the is the west argument feels more like a flawed excuse as picture a Switch successor within power range of PS5 and efficient architecture also selling 25-30m in the region developers can still focus on the west while pushing things back home.

src said:
OTBWY said:

"Is there any reason you think the PS4 worldwide userbase isn't going to PS5?"

We are talking about PS5 in Japan, and you bring up worldwide userbase. Secondly, there is a strong assumption, that customers have a high brand loyalty. If that were true, than WiiU would've taken at least half of the Wii userbase. But it didn't. Yes, there are fans of the brand that will take over, and they did buy the WiiU right from the start. But if a console sells 100M+ a lot of these customers aren't brand loyalists, and that is true for PS as well. Also the brand PS has taken damage in Japan especially, which is what we are talking about.

"Your prior post on how JP devs are going cope also made no sense. 10% of their sales are from Japan."

Thta is simply not true. You showed the data for it. Even for a strongly western focused company like Capcom, 10% of sales are the lower end of franchises, stuff that is highly successful in the West like Resident Evil. Even then, a loss of 10% of sales is nothing irrelevant. But 10% are the most western franchises. Monster Hunter has more like a third of it's sales in Japan. A land which has about 2% of world population. And that is Capcom. What is with NIS, Level-5, Nihon Falcom, Spike Chunsoft, Koei, Mistwalker, Grasshopper? They are not fine with dwindling sales on PS in Japan. So the truth is they look elsewhere. A lot of these companies already shifted a lot of focus towards PC, mobile or Switch, and if software sales on PS5 stay that bad, this will continue.

You seem to assume Japan devs are Capcom and Square. And even for them the japanese game market is important for franchises like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 11 December 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Apparently there are only half a dozen Japanese third party developers.