By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X | S One Year Later - A Boring Start to the Gen

So the PS5 and Xbox Series X | S launched about a year ago in the middle of the pandemic. Both consoles remain sold out. Xbox sales are ahead of Xbox One sales while PS5 shipments are slightly behind those of the PS4 last time we got an update.

I have tried to buy a PS5 yet and I don't plan to for a bit longer. Even from the sidelines it seems like such a boring start to the gen for me. Nearly the entire library of both systems is available on their predecessors. We haven't seen any major new IPs launch either.

It also looks like the crossgen release patter will continue for some time.

The PS5 has a few true exclusive next gen experiences like Bloodborne remake, Astro, Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars. Xbox got the Flight Simulator port.

Truth is I've never been less excited for new consoles since I've been gaming.

Honestly PS5 and Xbox Series owners, what have been the gaming highlights for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I think if you are on the fence on whether or not to buy a ps5 or xbox series right now, assess the games that are available and also the fact that there are a lot of last gen games that have been upgraded and really the core element is that frame rate and if you know the difference between 30 and 60fps and that's a big deal for you that is to me a reason alone worth jumping onto the ps5 and xbox series because at the end of it you are going to end up buying it anyway and if there isn't a hefty amount of games available right now, you can still enjoy all the last gen games with better performance like 4k, 60fps, faster loading

My highlights have been being able to show off my e-peen on social media for owing both

Spoiler!
Ratchet and Clank + Gamepass as made my purchases worth it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

On past console releases we had lots of mediocre native games in the first year an maybe one or two highlights at best. This time we have a handfull of really great native games and lots of older games which are running better on the new hardware.
I would say it evens itself out mostly and this generation is actually slightly better than previous ones because you have a much larger library to chose from.

Some highlights for me:

- Astro's Playroom and perfect usage of the new controller
- Ratchet and Clank is gaming perfection in my opinion
- COD: Black Ops getting a PC like experience on a console has been really nice 120FPS, and native mouse & keyboard support

Wasnt too impressed in other launch titles like Demons Souls, Miles Morales, and Sackboy. As the year has gone on though I feel more disappointed, there is no big game coming out end of year. Kena also turned out to be a majorly disappointing game. COD Vanguard also feels like a step down compared to Black Ops - so not even getting my MP fix.

End of year is looking good on the Xbox/PC front though with Forza Horizon 5 and the Gunk! But I guess that probably doesnt make up for the non-existent start. I think we looking at a massive year for both consoles next year though

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

So the PS5 and Xbox Series X | S launched about a year ago in the middle of the pandemic. Both consoles remain sold out. Xbox sales are ahead of Xbox One sales while PS5 shipments are slightly behind those of the PS4 last time we got an update.

I have tried to buy a PS5 yet and I don't plan to for a bit longer. Even from the sidelines it seems like such a boring start to the gen for me. Nearly the entire library of both systems is available on their predecessors. We haven't seen any major new IPs launch either.

It also looks like the crossgen release patter will continue for some time.

The PS5 has a few true exclusive next gen experiences like Bloodborne remake, Astro, Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars. Xbox got the Flight Simulator port.

Truth is I've never been less excited for new consoles since I've been gaming.

Honestly PS5 and Xbox Series owners, what have been the gaming highlights for you?

I feel that referenced against other launch years the PS5 is pretty good .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Signalstar said:

Bloodborne remake

That's only in people's dreams for now, it's Demon's Souls remake.

And the highlight for me is Miles Morales/Spider-man remastered: an open world that runs at 60fps with RT is exactly what I want the gen to be.

Enjoying my Series S, mostly been playing BC games with FPS boost, FH5 is the first new game I've played.

Will pick up a ps5 next year and will be able to play demon's souls, miles Morales and ratchet from the games currently released and horizon, god of war next year.

I think the start to this gen has been better than the start to PS4/XBO.

Also PS5 was behind PS4 in shipments, but current VGC figures put PS5 0.5m ahead in sell-through.

I don't get why people get so hung up over the cross-gen thing. Yes you could play the new games on 2013 hardware.... But why? They look and play great on the new generation and it's a much better experience with 60fps, faster loading and higher resolutions.

Even with limited full exclusive titles the upgrade is a no-brainer to me. It's a much better gaming experience.

It would be like PC gamers being upset that the minimum spec for a game is a GTX 670. "Why did I buy a 3070 when I could play it on a decade old GPU at minimum?"

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 11 November 2021

1st half, PS was doing alright, 2nd half Xbox is doing alright. However nothing worth screaming about tp purchase these systems

So far I've played Astros playroom (amazing), Ratchet and Clank (overwhelming amount of detail, crazy fun), Sackboy (it's ok, nothing special), Wreckfest (fun but definitely last gen), Ghost of Tsushima PS5 (looks amazing, dualsense is used very well), Tlou2 (60fps and the 3D audio shines with headphones on).

I have Returnal, WRC-10, Life is Strange: True colors, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls remake and Deathloop waiting to be played and eyeing Rider's republic for some snowboarding fun. And want to play TLG again in 60fps (instead of the heavy stuttering it had on ps4)

The only complaint I have is, not enough time to play. Which is also due to FS2020 being so good on my laptop.
Here with Google maps inserted (mod), checking out the area I frequently go jogging