By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Pachter a meme/disliked/etc by other gaming groups beyond Nintendo fans?

I noticed a early Switch era thread by the man recently bumped up and seeing that made me wonder....and I decided to ask this on its own thread for topic focus. 

99% of the time I see this guy it is usually in regards to Nintendo, and it generally involved Nintendo fans wondering what he is smoking and laughing at how wrong he ends up being. I'm curious if he comes up with PC/PS/XBox fans if he gets the same sort of reactions. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Well he's stating the obvious usually, so not hard to be spot on when he says "Sony counts on its exclusives to be more appealing" or "Microsoft wants to change the focus from console sales to subscription services like Game Pass".

BUT

When it comes to Nintendo, he always goes with a very classic, narrow minded approach, such as "if Nintendo sells 1.5 million Switch during the summer, it will sell only 8 million the whole year" or "they should get rid of the base Switch and only sell it as a handheld".

I don't know if he's out of touch, or out of time, but after 4 years he still doesn't get the console

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 08 November 2021

To be fair
After the wii u a lot of people though the switch would have a rough time, myself included

Thankfully nintendo bounced back, but I've always seen nintendo as a wild card. They bounce between sucess and failure to such a degree its just impossible to tell what will happen to them next year, never mind next console gen

Everyone should consider him a joke.  In 2009, he predicted the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 (7th Gen) would be the "last" console generation.  A prediction that he then carried over in 2013, saying the 8th Gen would be the last console generation and that consoles will no longer be relevant in 10 years.  In 2011, he cost his investors opportunity at a 2,000+% return by advising them to sell their stocks in Netflix, calling the company "broken" and not worth more than "$6 a share".  Netflix is currently worth $646/share.

But, the reason that Nintendo fans get more riled up by his predictions are because he tends to dunk on Nintendo a bit more, like these gems:

Prediction:

A Visionary? History of Michael Pachter’s Bold Predictions (sorry, I couldn't find a link to the actual prediction, but here is a recap of it)

"Back in 2006, Mr. Pachter predicted that Nintendo will soon pull-out of the console business. He also claimed that Wii motion controls won’t be accepted by the community."

Reality:

Motion Controls were so accepted that mid-gen, both Microsoft and Sony were forced to attempt to capitalize by releasing the Kinect and PlayStation Move to reinvigorate the sales of the Xbox 360 and PS3 which were lagging well behind the Wii.

Prediction:

July 2017

The Nintendo Switch will not be as successful as the Wii according to analyst

In his recent statement, Pachter said: - "Over time Switch will be fine it will do 50 million if the price comes down the curb. The question though is will it do a hundred? I don’t think so that’s 20 million a year. 10 Million a year for 5 years for sure, 20 Million a year ever probably not."

Reality:

By the end of 2021, the Switch will have back to back years of selling over 20 million per year.  

Prediction:

October 2020

Nintendo Should “Get Rid of the Switch Console and Only Have the Switch Lite” – Michael Pachter

“I don’t really understand the whole hybrid concept,” Pachter told GamingBolt. “I think that was something Iwata did to differentiate the Switch, and he wanted to have a console that could go back and forth from console to portable. But I don’t think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only. So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld.”  “And Nintendo isn’t that smart,” he continued

Reality:

Nevermind that the Hybrid model has consistently outsold the Lite, and that Nintendo's own data shows the hybrid was being used more in both modes than it was as a pure handheld.

I'm convinced the man has been incorrectly predicting Nintendo annual forecasts since the late 1800's.

Around the Network

He is Teh Analyst God, so it's not matter of which console fans, the ones that hate him actually are either atheists or monotheists that believe in another deity (*). Maybe satanists too.  

Edit:
(*) Naturally, many nintendists are monotheists too, so this explains their hate too. 

Last edited by Alby_da_Wolf - on 08 November 2021

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

At least since the Wii era, he has doomed them about every chance he got. People actually listen to him and he had his own show on Game Trailers at one point and was one of the hosts they had on a discussion panel. He put them down there. He just has a history of being negative about Nintendo.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's well beyond Nintendo fans. I am a Nintendo fan, but I also am a Sony fan and fan of other publishers/game company.
In 2019 he predicted the PS5 and Xbox Series X would be around 800 USD due to their specs and features floating around back then. It's such a bad prediction because Microsoft and Sony would be nuts to charge any more than 600 USD for those consoles. And thankfully they settled on 500 USD.
Sony charged 500 USD and 600 USD back in 2006 for the launch SKUs of the PS3 and it cost them dearly. And with inflation, they would cost hundreds more today.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I've definitely seen him get called a joke on other websites. Can't say I remember if they were Nintendo fans or not.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Mandalore76 said:

Everyone should consider him a joke.  In 2009, he predicted the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 (7th Gen) would be the "last" console generation.  A prediction that he then carried over in 2013, saying the 8th Gen would be the last console generation and that consoles will no longer be relevant in 10 years.  In 2011, he cost his investors opportunity at a 2,000+% return by advising them to sell their stocks in Netflix, calling the company "broken" and not worth more than "$6 a share".  Netflix is currently worth $646/share.

But, the reason that Nintendo fans get more riled up by his predictions are because he tends to dunk on Nintendo a bit more, like these gems:

Prediction:

A Visionary? History of Michael Pachter’s Bold Predictions (sorry, I couldn't find a link to the actual prediction, but here is a recap of it)

"Back in 2006, Mr. Pachter predicted that Nintendo will soon pull-out of the console business. He also claimed that Wii motion controls won’t be accepted by the community."

Reality:

Motion Controls were so accepted that mid-gen, both Microsoft and Sony were forced to attempt to capitalize by releasing the Kinect and PlayStation Move to reinvigorate the sales of the Xbox 360 and PS3 which were lagging well behind the Wii.

Prediction:

July 2017

The Nintendo Switch will not be as successful as the Wii according to analyst

In his recent statement, Pachter said: - "Over time Switch will be fine it will do 50 million if the price comes down the curb. The question though is will it do a hundred? I don’t think so that’s 20 million a year. 10 Million a year for 5 years for sure, 20 Million a year ever probably not."

Reality:

By the end of 2021, the Switch will have back to back years of selling over 20 million per year.  

Prediction:

October 2020

Nintendo Should “Get Rid of the Switch Console and Only Have the Switch Lite” – Michael Pachter

I don’t really understand the whole hybrid concept,” Pachter told GamingBolt. “I think that was something Iwata did to differentiate the Switch, and he wanted to have a console that could go back and forth from console to portable. But I don’t think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only. So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld.”  “And Nintendo isn’t that smart,” he continued

Reality:

Nevermind that the Hybrid model has consistently outsold the Lite, and that Nintendo's own data shows the hybrid was being used more in both modes than it was as a pure handheld.

The fact that in late 2020, 4 years after the Switch was revealed, he still didn't understand the hybrid concept, while everyone with a properly functioning brain could understand it from the reveal trailer alone, tells us all we need to know.