By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Releases Some Interesting Demographic (Adults > Kids) And Software Breakdowns

Nintendo released some interesting break downs about Switch owners.

This chart shows the active user base of the Switch is overwhelmingly adults, as in kids (under 18 crowd) probably don't even make up even 25% of the total audience. 

Other interesting things, 20-30 year olds are the leading user demographic for the Switch by a wide margin with 21 year olds being the peak. But another interesting thing is even as we get into 30s and 40 year olds, 40-41 year olds are still a higher part of the active user base than 10, 11, 12, 13, year olds. So there are more 40 year olds playing/owning Switch than 11 year olds. 

This has always been my theory, just as with comic books the majority fan base for characters like Spider-Man and Batman today are actually adults, not kids, even though at one time they were thought of as kids characters. 

Another interesting breakdown of the Switch audience is here:

The interesting thing here is the first two fiscal years of the Switch's life cycle we see a kind of typical software break down that

you might expect, but as the life cycle of the Switch has gone on, 3rd party software becomes the majority seller, it looks like it was just over half of the Switch software last fiscal year and this year thus far it's even more pronounced with what looks like 65% of the Switch software pie. 

The other interesting thing about this is this is physical software only, so digital only third parties like a lot of indie games are are not even included in that software split. 

Around the Network

This doesn't make sense. Nobody wants a Switch and it is for kids.

Joking aside, interesting data.

So what I get from this is that teenagers hate Nintendo and for some reason there are twice as many 21 year olds than 20 or 22 year olds playing Switch.

Also are those games arranged at the bottom from the age groups they most associate with? It would make sense for me for all of them except BOTW I'm not sure why that would skew to the lower end. But I don't see why they'd be put on the age graph if they weren't anything to do with it.

Zippy6 said:

So what I get from this is that teenagers hate Nintendo and for some reason there are twice as many 21 year olds than 20 or 22 year olds playing Switch.

Also are those games arranged at the bottom from the age groups they most associate with? It would make sense for me for all of them except BOTW I'm not sure why that would skew to the lower end. But I don't see why they'd be put on the age graph if they weren't anything to do with it.

Teenagers only play stuff that's actually cool, like CoD.

And I also don't understand the games at the bottom, I highly doubt the game every 5-10 year old is playing is Breath of the Wild.

Zippy6 said:

No. Those are the switch best selling games arranged by released date. Pokemon they only have Sword shield and no lets go. I guess they din't want more than one game by franchise.

edit: while i was double checking the released dates to make sure it was right Rol beat me to it. 

Around the Network
Chicho said:
Zippy6 said:

No. Those are the switch best selling games arranged by released date. Pokemon they only have Sword shield and no lets go. I guess they din't want more than one game by franchise. 

Alright, no idea why they'd put those on the age graph then, that's just strange.

As a forty something gamer, I can speak to the pull the Switch has from both a nostalgia and convenience factor. That pulled me into console gaming after being a mainly exclusive PC gamer for the last twenty years. The combination for arcade titles, legacy compilations, and modern hits in an uncompromising portable package makes it hard to ignore for a demographic that is in it's peak earning potential.

The funny thing is the age chart kinda affirms that this meme actually has some truth to it:

It looks like Nintendo struggles a bit with children as they get to age 12/13/14/15/16 because thy are likely drawn more towards "games they shouldn't be playing" like Call of Duty and GTA. But we see as this audience ages more towards 19/20/21/22, Nintendo's userbase in that age demo skyrockets. 

Zippy6 said:

No Call of Duty plus Fortnite is more popular with the early adolescent age which is why that's bolstered a bit. Really helps me understand why there are some just really toxic comments when it comes to Nintendo on some websites (N4G, IGN, etc). 

RolStoppable said:

The games at the bottom are Switch's ten biggest sellers with the exception of Pokémon Let's Go. They are arranged in order of their release timing, except Pokémon and Ring Fit Adventure which are switched; likely due to someone misremembering, but the games were released only one month apart.

This is what I thought, but I also noticed those two mistakes so I wasn't so sure.