By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Goldeneye 007 unbanned in Germany. Possible re-release?

I never knew the game was banned in Germany, but it was suddenly unbanned just a year before it was set to automatically unban after 25 years from its original release. The only information sources seem to know right now is that the removal was requested by someone or an entity. 

Nintendo of Europe is located in Germany, so many are speculating Nintendo was the one to request the unbanning. 

Which of course is leading to speculation now that the game could be joining N64 on NSO, or as I'm hoping, that the Goldeneye remake could actually happen. I'm hoping for the latter.

Goldeneye 007 has been unbanned in Germany, sparking rumors of a re-release | GamesRadar+

Around the Network

Great in theory, but N64 games (IMHO) have aged the worst out of all generation. The framerate, clunky controls and blocky. I can play NES, SNES, Gamecube and Wii games easily. N64 is just flat out rough. N64 games need to be remade for enjoyment.

Ka-pi96 said:

Why was it banned in the first place?

Same reasons why games like GTA would be banned lol Germany deemed the game "Media Harmful to Young Persons" 

Ka-pi96 said:

Depiction of violence. It was deemed realistical depiction for the tech of the time and showed sometimes death struggle of hit enemies.

This is in german but explains the details of the decision:

https://www.maniac.de/extended/akte-bpjm-goldeneye-007/

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yeah, this is a probably a significant sign that this game will eventually come to NSO, which is good for the service. I didn't know that Germany was that strict about that sort of thing.

Chrkeller said:

Great in theory, but N64 games (IMHO) have aged the worst out of all generation. The framerate, clunky controls and blocky. I can play NES, SNES, Gamecube and Wii games easily. N64 is just flat out rough. N64 games need to be remade for enjoyment.

Yeah, I generally put NES and N64 games in the same bucket in terms of accessibility to modern gamers.  Neither have aged well (except for a few rare examples like Super Mario Bros and Ocarina of Time) because they were pioneer platforms for 2D/3D gaming when the norms were not well established and frankly the hardware was only fast enough to provide an approximation of the experience that it was trying to deliver.  The SNES and Gamecube have aged much better because these platforms offer major refinement of the desired gameplay experience and isn't trying to break ground with something completely new.  The N64 would have aged better if it had been marketed more as a 2.5D console, but there was this huge push for every game on it to be a fully 3D environment mainly because of how expensive the games were and also to compensate for the space constraints on cartridges that made FMV and pre-rendered canvases that Sony was offering in its games impractical on the N64.  Games like Yoshi Story, Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle have actually aged really well and look great at 240p, it's just that there are not that many of these types of games and they generally took flack at the time for looking too much like an SNES game.

This is one more reason why NSO should have been launched with Gamecube/Dreamcast games.  It would be a lot more approachable to modern gamers.  I can get back into 240p N64 games pretty easily, but it takes a couple hours of gameplay before I forget about the graphics.  Most people are not going to have the patience to do this.

Around the Network

a remake of Golden eye? has this been hinted at?

Yutilk said:

a remake of Golden eye? has this been hinted at?

No. The unbanning is the only hint. The ban would run out, but the time hasn't come so someone must've requested a new assessment.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Depiction of violence. It was deemed realistical depiction for the tech of the time and showed sometimes death struggle of hit enemies.

And that's worse than this:?

BTW, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 (and 3 for that matter) weren't banned in Germany.

KManX89 said:
Mnementh said:

And that's worse than this:?

BTW, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 (and 3 for that matter) weren't banned in Germany.

I don't know exactly, but Apparently Ninja Gaiden Sigma was cut in germany, NInja Gaiden 2 wasn't released after the USK gave no rating (which opens the way to ban it) and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 had cuts. Not releasing games in germany often was a solution, but Goldeneye actually was the first game that was banned despite not released in germany.