By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Remain Ahead of Predecessors - Global Hardware Oct 10 to 16

zorg1000 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

There also just may not have been as big of an audience for the switch OLED. Maybe the early adopters were most of the wave that was gonna buy that system at least immediately. Itll sell but I dunno if it'll be some huge permanent boost

No, stock is a huge issue, that's not debatable.

As for huge permanent boost, I don't think anyone is expecting that.

The 180-200% ebay prices pretty much confirm this.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Disappointing Switch numbers. Wanted to see it at 500k. But likely OLED stock is low. Guessing we'll get a few weeks of 300k leading up to black friday week, as Nintendo are storing up systems for the holidays.

PS5 is becoming a beast. It will be interesting to see if it eventually outsells PS4. It might even start winning a few weeks against the Switch next year as Switch gradually slows, though next year is going to be a huge year for Switch software so it may yet knock out one more dominant year.

Xbox doing well. Should be at a quarter of total XBoxOne sales by the end of the year.

Slownenberg said:

Disappointing Switch numbers. Wanted to see it at 500k. But likely OLED stock is low. Guessing we'll get a few weeks of 300k leading up to black friday week, as Nintendo are storing up systems for the holidays.

PS5 is becoming a beast. It will be interesting to see if it eventually outsells PS4. It might even start winning a few weeks against the Switch next year as Switch gradually slows, though next year is going to be a huge year for Switch software so it may yet knock out one more dominant year.

Xbox doing well. Should be at a quarter of total XBoxOne sales by the end of the year.

It looks like most of 2022 will be supply constrained so we may not see any substantial movement till the last quarter of 2022 and with Nintendo's superior holiday season record, likely to keep it ahead of any increased production from the other two we may have to wait to 2023.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

trunkswd said:
mjk45 said:

It looks like most of 2022 will be supply constrained so we may not see any substantial movement till the last quarter of 2022 and with Nintendo's superior holiday season record, likely to keep it ahead of any increased production from the other two we may have to wait to 2023.

With what I'm ready shortages will continue through 2022, but should start improving in the middle of 2022, so June or July.

Agreed, but it takes time for increased supply to work its way through the supply chain so while we will see increased stock earlier than the last quarter of 2022 it may not be till then that it becomes significant, especially if they settle for a slight increase on the average first half of 2022 weekly sales and stockpile the surplus for the holidays.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

yo33331 said:

when are the official shipment numbers coming out for the quarter from Sony and Nintendo ?

Well we just finished the 3rd quarter of the calendar year so should be soon. But if you are asking about a quarter involving October, then that would be like February I guess.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

when are the official shipment numbers coming out for the quarter from Sony and Nintendo ?

From Nintendo should be November 4th I think. Idk about Sony. Maybe also first November week.

yo33331 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well we just finished the 3rd quarter of the calendar year so should be soon. But if you are asking about a quarter involving October, then that would be like February I guess.

no, I meant july, august and september quarter. Fiscal quarter.

So as the person posted should be within couple weeks.

Last year Sony report for the quarter you asked was on October 28th.

Nintendo 6 months release is planned for November 4th so I don't think there will be another quartely separeted.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

yo33331 said:

Sony is this Thursday

Nintendo is next Thursday

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Unless the Switch is undertracked and has a really strong holiday it seems a done deal at this point it'll be down from 2020. However it'll have a 2nd year in a row that's better than the Wii's best year so still extremely impressive.

Norion said:

Unless the Switch is undertracked and has a really strong holiday it seems a done deal at this point it'll be down from 2020. However it'll have a 2nd year in a row that's better than the Wii's best year so still extremely impressive.

Personally, I think that this Q3 FY will be around 5.75 (because of early shipments of OLED in time for launch, but also because it's tracking significantly higher than 2019 which was at 4.8M). 

If this is the case then Nintendo would need about 12.5M consoles shipped in Q4 for it to exceed FY 2020. Is it possible? Maybe...is it likely? Probably not. Unless Q3 is higher than I anticipate then Nintendo is going to be slightly down, likely by around 1M units. I guess we will find out soon.