By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 games only with DualSense controller? I found a workaround!

Most of the time I play games in single player mode and DualSense controllers are quite expensive. So currently I only have one.

But sometimes we want to play some games in co-op. No problem for PS4 games on PS5, I just have to activate my DualShock 4 connected with the PS4.

Yesterday we wanted to play Sackboy's Big Adventure together. Although I have the PS5 version I hoped that it would work anyways because it is almost identical to the PS4 version (besides the graphics). But no...  "Can't use the DualShock 4 for this game".

Then I started Remote Play on PC, connected a DualShock 4 to the PC and joined the game... no problem. We turnded off the PC-monitor and played with the PS5-video-output on TV.

So we were able to play together with a DualSense and a DualShock 4 with this workaround. There wasn't any noticable controller lag using the PC-connected.

It also works via Remote Play with a DualShock 4 connected to an iOS device or Android device (tested it with my Android phone and with my iPad).

So you can bypass Sony's stupid controller-restriction with a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop PC in the same room (or technically anywhere in the world).

Last edited by Conina - on 10 October 2021

Around the Network

I did something similar on xbox one when I didn't have enough xbox one controllers. Remote play and connect the incompatible controllers to the pc instead. But everyone looking at the xbox display not the stream.

I don't know why Sony couldn't just let PS5 owners use their PS4 controllers. They are LITERALLY the same. The only difference between them is the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. The buttons and the placements of them are the exact same. You can even turn off the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback which essentially turns the PS5 controller into a fancy PS4 controller. And because of that the DualSense should be compactible with the PS4, like there is no reason why it can't. Even the PS3 can use the DualSense.

The PS3 can use the DS4, but only wired. Can it use the dual sense as well? (I haven't tried)

The only reason I can think of why DS4 is not supported on ps5 is that Sony wants the new features to be used and not have developers test / tune their games to work with DS4 as well. Of course with cross-gen games it doesn't matter, yet going forwards they likely don't want to have to keep supporting DS4 on PS5 for the while generation. It's just a bit of extra QA but also a discouragement to do things that won't be possible to play with DS4.

Ratchet and Clank and Astro's playroom aren't the same on DS4, some things in Astro's playroom not even possible with DS4. Having to add workarounds to support DS4 is extra work.

Yet true, why not simply allow it for ps4 games and cross-gen games. On an at your own 'risk' basis. Disclaimer for games, best played with Duelsense. Perhaps the wireless protocol is different on ps5 adding some hoops. It could still work wired. Maybe it will come later, Sony is lagging behind in QoL features on ps5. The UI needs plenty work, features are still missing (VRR, 8K) and still needs plenty stability updates. (Yesterday I kept being interrupted with a periodic "Something went wrong" WS-115506-08 error, press OK and continue. No clue what it was, but kept popping up every 10-15 minutes)

Btw, you can also share play to a ps4 and use a DS4 on that. So if you still have your old ps4, share play to there, then toggle the tv input back to ps5 and play with DS4 that way.

SvennoJ said:

The PS3 can use the DS4, but only wired. Can it use the dual sense as well? (I haven't tried)

The only reason I can think of why DS4 is not supported on ps5 is that Sony wants the new features to be used and not have developers test / tune their games to work with DS4 as well. Of course with cross-gen games it doesn't matter, yet going forwards they likely don't want to have to keep supporting DS4 on PS5 for the while generation. It's just a bit of extra QA but also a discouragement to do things that won't be possible to play with DS4.

Ratchet and Clank and Astro's playroom aren't the same on DS4, some things in Astro's playroom not even possible with DS4. Having to add workarounds to support DS4 is extra work.

Yet true, why not simply allow it for ps4 games and cross-gen games. On an at your own 'risk' basis. Disclaimer for games, best played with Duelsense. Perhaps the wireless protocol is different on ps5 adding some hoops. It could still work wired. Maybe it will come later, Sony is lagging behind in QoL features on ps5. The UI needs plenty work, features are still missing (VRR, 8K) and still needs plenty stability updates. (Yesterday I kept being interrupted with a periodic "Something went wrong" WS-115506-08 error, press OK and continue. No clue what it was, but kept popping up every 10-15 minutes)

Btw, you can also share play to a ps4 and use a DS4 on that. So if you still have your old ps4, share play to there, then toggle the tv input back to ps5 and play with DS4 that way.

Let's be honest here. After the first year (which ends this year) do you think 3rd party developers will care about those features? It's just a gimmick that honestly is more annoying than anything, so I know people will just turn it off. It's cool at first, but it wears off fast.

I think Sony should do this for their PSVR 2. Since VR is a more immersion experience having that haptic feedback and adaptive triggers would be a great thing to add, but for a normal controller it's really just annoying.

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:

Let's be honest here. After the first year (which ends this year) do you think 3rd party developers will care about those features? It's just a gimmick that honestly is more annoying than anything, so I know people will just turn it off. It's cool at first, but it wears off fast.

I think Sony should do this for their PSVR 2. Since VR is a more immersion experience having that haptic feedback and adaptive triggers would be a great thing to add, but for a normal controller it's really just annoying.

Gimmick? I love the adaptive triggers, the half press L1, R2 options are crystal clear now with the resistance adding a 'stop' half way. It could add more discreet steps or build up the tension as when using the bow in Ghost of Tsushima. The haptic feedback adds a lot as well. In Ghost of Tsushima you can feel the type of ground the horse is galloping on.

Haptic feedback adds a lot in Ratchet and Clank and that's just a launch window game. The only gimmick I see is blowing on the controller in Astro's playroom, yet that mic in the Dualsense can be used in more ways.

When Sony removed rumble there were tons of complaints to bring it back. It's about time 'rumble' got improved to being more useful. Even without enhancements, GT Sport's 'rumble' already feels so much better on Dualsense compared to DS4. I switch between racing on Ps4 pro and ps5 on a daily basis (can't always use the big tv) and the difference is huge. Rumble strips are far more defined on the dualsense and much easier/quicker to tell if I'm toruching the edge of the road and/or how far I'm on the kerbs.

Duelsense features are less of a gimmick as native 4K, VRR, 120fps are. But that's just my opinion.

very interesting idea. I would have never thought about such a workaround.

Well you can probably also use those USB dongles that make even Xbox controllers, PS4 and Switch works on each other.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I already bought 2 extra Dualsense controllers, feels like a good quality controller. I wish I could use them on ps4. Apparently they do work on the ps3 so no need to use DS4 on ps3 anymore lol.

SvennoJ said:

I already bought 2 extra Dualsense controllers, feels like a good quality controller. I wish I could use them on ps4. Apparently they do work on the ps3 so no need to use DS4 on ps3 anymore lol.

Yep, my two problems at the moment with DS is that I can't use it on PS4 and the battery is tooks a lot less to be zeroed.

And my real concern is seeing that Sony already got class lawsuit because of the analogues so it is quite possible mine will be bad not to long in use.

But yes I liked the control and with promotions I was able to get it for a reasonable price and since I have kids yes 2 controls is kinda minimal I need.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."