By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread Review Thread: MetaCritic 88

CaptainExplosion said:
Metallox said:

It will drop to 87. 

*shoves Metallox's face into a Metroid's maw*

For the record, I said 86, I like to eat crow. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Really great to see it's reviewing so well, hopefully this highly positive reception helps sales a lot.

I do believe these reviews are the final piece of the puzzle for this game to be successful. We’ve had a great reveal, great release timing, pretty over the top marketing, excellent synergy with the simultaneous launch of the Switch OLED, the always amazing Switch effect, and now at least an 85 on the review aggregate websites.

All that is left now is for the gamers to reward the developer and publisher for their hard work and commitment to putting Metroid in the tier it belongs.

5 million or bust!

CaptainExplosion said:
super_etecoon said:

I do believe these reviews are the final piece of the puzzle for this game to be successful. We’ve had a great reveal, great release timing, pretty over the top marketing, excellent synergy with the simultaneous launch of the Switch OLED, the always amazing Switch effect, and now at least an 85 on the review aggregate websites.

All that is left now is for the gamers to reward the developer and publisher for their hard work and commitment to putting Metroid in the tier it belongs.

5 million or bust!

We must buy multiple copies and give the extra copies to our next of kin if we have to!!

I buy all my games digitally these days, but I've always bought Metroid games physically.  If the game is amazing to me, I'll be picking up a physical copy for display.  It's just a matter of finding the special edition.

TruckOSaurus said:

My prediction abilities have improved, I posted 88 for Metroid Dread in the Prediction League thread. Very happy with how this game is turning out so far. Can't wait to play it myself!

Lookin like almost everyone in the league is gonna be within 2 or 3 points of this one which is kinda wild. Rly glad they seemed to pump out some quality for this one

Around the Network
youngbr said:

I will play the game, but we know this game gets extra points because it is a Nintendo game, it is probably a 82-83 game if the reviewers were honest which is still a solid score.

Famitsu 34/40 being honest at least.

This comment just seems like a lazy attempt at trolling

youngbr said:

I will play the game, but we know this game gets extra points because it is a Nintendo game, it is probably a 82-83 game if the reviewers were honest which is still a solid score.

Sir the amount of playstation website allowed on Metacritic, you can sit this one out. Metroid franchise isn't big and the last entries (except the remake) got pretty bad reviews. 

Anyway, to me this is clear now the game will sell over 5 millions now. It is heavily marketed, different and critically received. It has everything going for it. If it gets close to 10 millions that would be AMAZING. But unfortunately i feel like the lack of interest in Japan is going to lower the chance of that happening. 7-8 millions would be great. Feel like with the amount of promo it is getting, 2-3 millions would be disappointing. Anything higher than 5 millions Nintendo should be happy about.

10 million units for a 2021 $60 non-Mario side-scroller. Sounds surreal.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

xMetroid said:
youngbr said:

Sir the amount of playstation website allowed on Metacritic, you can sit this one out. Metroid franchise isn't big and the last entries (except the remake) got pretty bad reviews. 

Anyway, to me this is clear now the game will sell over 5 millions now. It is heavily marketed, different and critically received. It has everything going for it. If it gets close to 10 millions that would be AMAZING. But unfortunately i feel like the lack of interest in Japan is going to lower the chance of that happening. 7-8 millions would be great. Feel like with the amount of promo it is getting, 2-3 millions would be disappointing. Anything higher than 5 millions Nintendo should be happy about.

You're overestimating it a bit. Unless it explodes in popularity like BotW did.

As it stands now I think 5mil is the ceiling and 3mil the floor.

Not surprised, if im not mistaken other M was the only poorly received main line game. as a fan I even liked that game. Aside from the character assassination they did to samus the gameplay was very good. Im exited for this game. Most quality games on switch are selling like crazzy i would not doubt this selling past 5m on the score alone.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.