By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The new Dock that comes with the OLED Switch can technically output 4K 60hz

Here's a video by Spawn Wave, skip to 4:10 for the info, but already people are tearing the dock open and sure enough, there's a new chip that does allow the dock to output that resolution and framerate we've been begging for, including the bundled HDMI cable, but it doesn't look like Nintendo is utilizing it for that purpose. At least for now.....watch it be a firmware update 2 years down the road lol

New Nintendo Switch OLED Details Found And Good News For PS5 + Xbox Stock Issues? | News Wave - YouTube

Around the Network

If it even is supported (unlikely) it will be very sparingly. PS5 and Xbos Series X both support 8K Iin theory). But I think they only have a small handful of games that support it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

If it even is supported (unlikely) it will be very sparingly. PS5 and Xbos Series X both support 8K Iin theory). But I think they only have a small handful of games that support it.

Yeah, neither of those consoles actually have 8K output enabled, and the "small handful" is literally two games on the Xbox Series X (Ori and the Touryst) and one game on the PS5 (the touryst), and the Xbox games aren't even 8K, but 6k. 

I think support would likely come from Hulu and whatnot rather than games. 

Though I do think this lends credence to the rumors of a 4K Switch, I do want to throw the fact that HDMI 1.4 is pretty old and maybe Nintendo actually got a better bulk bundle with 2.0 with this new Switch dock? I mean, the fact that they never mentioned it at all means that they are probably not going to do much with it at all. Otherwise they would have said "4K/HDR support coming at a later time", which would have made people feel it was a better deal and increased sales.

My last theory is they contracted out for bulk HDMI 2.0 and OLED screens when making a Switch pro, but the shortage of silicon we've been experiencing prevented an actual Switch Pro from happening, so they, instead, decided to implement this into the Switch OLED to get some use out of their materials.

I honestly don't know at this point though.

Eeeeerrrrr that is to try and cover the rumor of the Switch 4k??? Because the regular switch even with a dock that can output 4k can`t generate, so not much difference compared to regular dock since the TV will do the upscalling

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Eeeeerrrrr that is to try and cover the rumor of the Switch 4k??? Because the regular switch even with a dock that can output 4k can`t generate, so not much difference compared to regular dock since the TV will do the upscalling

OG Dock can only output at 4K 30 due to having HDMI 1.4. New dock can output 4K 60 because they switch to 2.0

Doctor_MG said:
DonFerrari said:

OG Dock can only output at 4K 30 due to having HDMI 1.4. New dock can output 4K 60 because they switch to 2.0

I think Don's point was the old dock could output 4k/30 and it meant nothing so why would 4K/60 change their outlook.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Doctor_MG said:

I think Don's point was the old dock could output 4k/30 and it meant nothing so why would 4K/60 change their outlook.

Sure, but for me it still makes me wonder.....why? Why would Nintendo even bother making the upgrade from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 in this new dock? What benefit are they hoping to have here with a Switch that has the exact same internals as the previous model? Surely it would've been cheaper if they just used the exact same previous dock and they wouldn't have had to add a "Update Dock" feature built directly into the Switch's firmware. 

I'm guessing it's for future plans of some sort. 

mjk45 said:

It probably doesn't mean anything functionally, at least not right now. My point was mostly just that there is a difference and it was updated for a reason. We just really don't know what that reason is. 

Streaming apps incoming?