By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Paperwhite Kindle E-readers for Oct. 27th

Will you be getting a new Kindle?

Yes 2 50.00%

No 2 50.00%

I don't read 0 0%

Prefer real books 0 0%

Total:4

New Kindles will be releasing on October 27th, was announced on September 21st (I somehow missed it).  I've been looking forward to a new generation to come out.  I'm still sporting a 2nd generation paperwhite I purchased in 2014 and it still works great.  

Notable changes, amber lighting added that was in the Oasis 3.   New SoC with operating system improvements.  Battery life now 10 weeks instead of 8.  The change finally to USB-C.

2 models will be available.  Paperwhite (8GB)and Paperwhite signature edition(32GB).  

The signature edition will feature wireless charging option, the 32 GB of storage, auto light sensor for adjusting brightness and light temperature.

I was able to pre-order yesterday.  I just went with the 8GB.  On my 2014 Paperwhite I have a few hundred books and never used up half of my storage and I don't audio book.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 28 September 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I also pre-ordered one when it was announce. My current one is also from 2014 but it the Kindle Voyage. I am not a fan of the Kindle Oasis form factor so this the first Kindle release since the Voyage that actually look like a upgrade for me. I loose the physical buttons but I can live without that and everything else look superior on paper and I do like the slightly bigger screen.

My Kindle Voyage still work great other then the battery life is significant lower then it was 7 years ago. Livable but enough decrease am willing to pay for a new one especially since it let me use USB C charging (or wireless if I choose I did go with the more expensive one). Also the new UI they announce not coming to the Voyage according to list of device support it look like 2015 and newer. Not sure I really care but if next one last me another 7 years then it more then worth the price anyway.

ignore

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Bandorr said:

I'd need a better comparison.
From what I can tell it is is a downgrade from the oasis.

Many people complained about the oasis not holding a charge for more than a few days and others didn't like the shape.  Those were some  of the reasons I waited.  

DroidKnight said:

I was able to pre-order yesterday.  I just went with the 8GB.  On my 2014 Paperwhite I have a few hundred books and never used up half of my storage and I don't audio book.

I once had 3500 books on my Kobo, just to see what happens (it was slow but no crashes...)

I'm still waiting for the color E-readers..

Around the Network

I'm in the market for a new EReader, I had one with a "glow" functionality, that was really good, but it got damaged during the summer during travel (it was really old anyway) and I've been using my phone ever since.
I'm a fairly big reader, maybe even more so than video games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I never understood the need of a specific e reader device when you have the same function on your phone. I've been using aldiko since 2010.

Last edited by Killy_Vorkosigan - on 03 October 2021

I just bought a new Kindle last month. I'm fine with that, though, since I only paid $60 and the improvements aren't that meaningful to me. I did wonder if it was about time for a new model to release, though, since they were offering them for such a cheap price.

I've bought every single one in the past, so I don't see why not :P

The Kindle came in today, the case maybe tomorrow. The 9V recharging plug, 7th-9th if I'm lucky. The extra real estate already has me grinning.