By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Paperwhite Kindle E-readers for Oct. 27th

Will you be getting a new Kindle?

Yes 2 50.00%

No 2 50.00%

I don't read 0 0%

Prefer real books 0 0%

Total:4

After a couple weeks of using the new kindle paperwhite am very happy with it.  I consider it a clear upgrade over my old Voyage.

The 2 largest improvement I notice when using it while reading a book is 

• The tapping to page turn is way more responsive. If you comparing it to a cell phone it still way behind but that the nature of e-ink.  The important part is after tapping it always goes to the next page or previous page and the pressure sensitivity is perfect.  On my Voyage sometime I would press and nothing happen and I don’t know if it because I did not apply enough pressure or it lagging slightly.  Therefore, I would sometime press multiple time and end up multiple pages ahead.  That seem completely solved with the new Paper white for me.
  • The extra screen size I love. Even through it only a small increase it very noticeable for me and make for an improved reading experience.  The only downside to this is the way I would occasionally Palm my old kindle no longer comfortable because of the slight increase in width.  Did not take me long through to adjust slightly how I hold it and now it a not a issue.

Quality of life improvements

• Super long battery life.  This more a function of a brand new battery vs a 7 year old battery then any issue with the Voyage when it first came out which also had plenty of battery life but it is nice to not have to charge often.
  • Battery last so long not had to use it much but being able to use the same usb-c cable I use for my cell phone in my power hub I keep on my desk is nice instead of requiring an additional cable plugged in.

Nice to haves even if I not sure it affecting me much

• The additional Leds does make for more uniform lighting over the Voyage but at least for me I really only notice it if am doing a head-to-head comparison so not a big deal to me.
  • Water Proof a nice addition not sure how often I will benefit from it since I don't take baths and not a beach person but it a nice to have. 

So, when all said the battery life of my old voyage was enough reason to upgrade and the price of the upgrade was worth every single penny for the improve responsiveness, increase screen size and the usb-c compatibility.  After using it for a while I could not happily go back to an old model now without being frustrated by the lack of the first 2 things.  Very happy with my purchase.