By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega Genesis and N64 Coming to Nintendo Online With a New Expansion Subscription

Nintendo could’ve also done it like this; have a basic subscription (cheaper than now) that includes the online multiplayer, cloud saves and maybe NES games, and then have all the other systems as add-ons to that for a small additional fee per system, which you can just switch on and off as you please. That way you can make Switch Online as cheap or as expensive as you’d want.

Anyway GoldenEye on the N64 part is never going to happen. It’s not just Microsoft and Rare, it’s also Activision and of course the James Bond people.

Around the Network

I would rather a "Collection" of each platforms "greatest hits".

A bunch of games from NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance... List goes on.

And all on a cart.

I let my current Switch online subscription expire because I just wasn't using it... Not worth it for the one or two play throughs of SNES games I might do per year... Better off pulling out the NES or SNES classic to be honest... And this won't change that.

But the controllers are cool, if they are Blu-tooth and I can connect them to my PC I might buy a couple.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

S.Peelman said:

Nintendo could’ve also done it like this; have a basic subscription (cheaper than now) that includes the online multiplayer, cloud saves and maybe NES games, and then have all the other systems as add-ons to that for a small additional fee per system, which you can just switch on and off as you please. That way you can make Switch Online as cheap or as expensive as you’d want.

[...]

Exactly this would be the best case. Then everyone can do as he or she wants.

Online Multiplayer + cloud save = 10 bucks/year (you need to have that one to buy further add-ons)

Then as add-ons for example:

NES Games = 3 bucks/year

SNES Games = 4 bucks/year

and so on.

That truely would be amazing for the customers. Create your very own Nintendo Online experience.

burninmylight said:
QUAKECore89 said:

.....If you aware of this.

Japan is legit getting a six-button Mega-Drive controller, according to Japanese Nintendo Direct.

Saw it this morning. Japan is still best girl in Nintendo's eyes. Have you ever played a Genesis version of Street Fighter 2 with the three-button pad? Lol...

Uuugh it was awkward, i tried it on MK3 with the 3-button pad just for experiment. Hard to go back to the 3-button gamepad! xD

Hard pass on this subscription tier. And the pricing on those controllers are criminal.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

If they could somehow get Goldeneye and add an online multiplayer to the game, this would make the subscription service huge. Honestly, it would be worth the licensing nightmare to work something out with Activision (I believe they own the Bond license) and Microsoft just to make this happen. Heck, let that game launch on the XBox platform as well as Switch, it would be a net win for everyone.

That said, other than Banjo, I am just not that impressed with what is currently being offered. I really wish there was a large selection of Gamecube games instead. For example, I am pretty sure that most of these N64 games have been available in the past for like $10.00 on either the Wii VC or Wii U eShop. The problem is that video games aren't like Disney movies, their appeal to audiences goes down over time. For example, it made sense to price a game like Wave Race 64 or Yoshi Story at $10.00 back in 2010 on the Wii, but these game are getting really retro now in 2021. The Genesis games are even worse. A game like Phantasy Star, I can pretty much guarantee is unplayable to 99% of Switch owners in 2021. In fact, I can almost guarantee that I am the only person on this message board who actually sits down and plays games like this from this era. Heck even people who have memories and loved playing those games back in the day probably wouldn't be able to get into a game like this now. These games are from a totally different world where the instruction manual that came with the game was as thick as a player's guide.. I am currently playing Might and Magic from the NES and the amount of level grinding and lack of handholding in these RPG's is insane. You can get into it, and it is very rewarding, but it takes a lot of investment before you start seeing those rewards.

Games like Ocarina of Time and Banjo are definitely still more accessible today, but even here a lot of gamers are going to have major issues with 3D gaming at 240P, especially on a UHD screen. It was a lot easier for a Wii gamer to play an N64 game in 2010 going from 480p to 240p then it will be for a Switch gamer to go from 900p to 240p in 2021. Nintendo should take this depreciation effect into account. I really wouldn't have launched a service like this with only N64 games. Why not release that amazing Gamecube library? As for Sega, why not release their amazing Dreamcast library? Games like Baten Kaitos at 480p still look really nice on an HD screen and there are lots of gamers who would be able to get into this on the Switch and I think that it would make the service a lot more amazing.

As for the N64 controller, this is my favorite controller of all time, but I am probably the only person on this board who holds this view. I am one of the few people who actually loves the analog stick as I use a three-fingered clasp and I find that it gives a tremendous amount of control even if the stick is a bit loose (which was a major problem with the original N64 analog stick thanks to games like Mario Party that seemed to be specifically designed to ruin it). That said, I wish that they would have released a wired version of the original controller, as I would probably buy 4-5 right now for my multiple N64's that I still game on every day. That said, I just don't see there being that much demand for the wireless N64 controller, I am sure that non-retro gamers will find the joycons to be much more comfortable.

Xxain said:

I am not going to lie.... those wireless controllers are a strong selling point.

Just get these at half the price Nintendo will sell theirs

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Wireless-Controller-8-Button-Original/dp/B07WP2ZYNR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3KZMFU7MK4ICY&dchild=1&keywords=retrobit+sega+genesis+controller&qid=1632623642&sprefix=retrobit+%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-1

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Here's a prediction: when GBA arrives on the service, localized Mother 3 will come along with it ;)

If Nintendo can release an originally un-released game in StarFox 2 to NSO, then they can release a localized Mother 3 to NSO as well.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 28 September 2021