By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the best year in gaming?

TruckOSaurus said:

I'd go with the lucky 7s. 2017, 2007, 1997

Looking forward to 2027! PS5 and Series X should be fully figured out by then and pushing the limits, next to Switch 2 getting a new Zelda and Mario? :)

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

Next to PSVR you also had BotW, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Super Mario Odyssey. Definitely one of the best years.

And Nier Automata, Persona 5, Hollow Knight, Metroid: Samus Returns, Hellblade, Resident Evil 7, Cuphead, Night in the Woods. And many more. There's great games everywhere and in every genre. I feel like whenever I boot up a game for the first time, if it says 2017 I already know it's gonna be amazing, and it inevitably is.

Thats a pretty solid list. 

I’m sure I bought more games in 2002 than any year in my life. Some biggest highlights are:

Metroid Prime (the wait was finally over!!!)
Vice City
Morrowind
Jet Set Radio Future
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Eternal Darkness
Mechassault
Kingdom Hearts
Rygar (the wait was finally over!!!)
Steel Batallion
Splintercell
The two towers
Wreckless
Gunvalkrie

This was the year that polished 3D games came in waves.

Kyuu said:
mjk45 said:

While 2007 was great if you move shadow hearts out of the "meh" tier we have a deal.

I don't think any of these are necessarily "meh" (I loved Shadow of Destiny, and ZoE has the honor of being The 2nd Runner's predecessor!) but I was trying to take into account objective-ish metrics like Metacritic (I'm not sure if the general user reception for the first Shadow Hearts was in line with critics or not).

I agree when looking back our perceptions can be clouded by a number of things, in my case Shadow Hearts Covenant enhances the series much like The 2nd Runner does with ZoE, so my subconscious rates those games in a more collective sense than other similar games.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

For me, 2010.

Wii, 360, and PS3 were all firing on all cylinders, all at once.

Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Halo Reach, Vanquish, Monster Hunter Tri, Sin & Punishment 2, Bioshock 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, No More Heroes 2, Goldeneye 007, COD Black Ops, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit...

An absolute smorgasbord of great games; to this day I have never bought so many from a single year. It was truly an amazing time to be a gamer.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 September 2021

Around the Network

Can't decide.

1994, 1998, 2006, and 2019 were my best years.

September 2019 was one of the best months I’ve seen in gaming. It beat out whole years.

Batman Arkham Knight
Gears of War 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Uncharted 3
Portal 2
The Witcher 2
Skyrim
TLOZ Skyward Sword
Resistance 3
Dark Souls
Modern Warfare 3
Battlefield 3
Halo CE Anniversary
Deus Ex Human Revolution
LA Noire
Dead Space 2
Saints Row The Third
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Crysis 2
RAGE
Dragon Age 2
Sonic Generations
Bulletstorm
Star Wars TOR
Dead Island
inFamous 2
Terraria
Bastion
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Alice Madness Returns
Mortal Kombat
Minecraft on the 360
Skylanders
Super Mario 3D Land
DiRT 3
Little Big Planet 2

Etc...

As a somewhat recent major game type I'd lean on 2017 myself, but that's because I probably started really paying attention from 2015ish on.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?