By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the best year in gaming?

I'm gonna have to go with 1985

Ghosts and Goblins, hehe

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Hard to pick one year, so I will go with an era instead: the plug-n-play era. From Atari 2600 to the end of the PS2 generation, games were so revolutionary and groundbreaking that to look back at them now, it's almost mind-boggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

1997, 2007 and 2017.

Can't wait until 2027.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Innovalias said:

1997, 2007 and 2017.

Can't wait until 2027.

And coincidentally 1987 was pretty good as well, at least if you’re in Europe. You may be on to something…

EDIT: And 1977 has the release of the 2600. Wow.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 23 September 2021

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

2017 no contest.

It is the year of PSVR, definitely second after 1998 :) Although the best PSVR games came out in 2018, 2017 had a ton of innovative games to play starting with RE7 in Januari. Great year which made me feel like it was 1998 again. Next to PSVR you also had BotW, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Super Mario Odyssey. Definitely one of the best years.

Ka-pi96 said:
SvennoJ said:

Everyone knows it's 1998, no contest.

Metal Gear Solid, Baldur's Gate, Zelda OOT, Half-Life, Grim Fandango, Heart of Darkness, Star Craft, Banjo Kazooie, Thief, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, F Zero X, Unreal, Oddworld: Abe's Exodus, Xenogears, and more

Everyone? Honesltly that's a pretty poor list to me. Only 2 games there that I'd even say I liked, and not a single one that would make my top 100. Although Resident Evil 2 was also 1998 and that would make my top 100, that alone still doesn't make '98 good to me though.

For me it's 2002. Final Fantasy 10, TimeSplitters 2, Dynasty Warriors 3, GTA Vice City etc. what a year!

I left sequels out on purpose, those are all new games. Although technically MGS and OOT are only new in 3D. But why do you think that's a pretty poor list?

Ka-pi96 said:
SvennoJ said:

I left sequels out on purpose, those are all new games. Although technically MGS and OOT are only new in 3D. But why do you think that's a pretty poor list?

I said why. There are only 2 games there I liked, Half-Life and Rogue Squadron. The others are all meh, or worse, to me. Only my opinion of course, but that was a pretty poor year to me.

Fair, personally of what you listed I only kinda liked Vice City although San Andreas and GTA 3 were much better for me. I gave up on FF10 although I enjoyed the 3 before a lot.

Not that it wasn't a good year with Ratchet and Clank, Eternal Darkness, Dungeon Siege, Metroid Prime and many great sequels. NFS was still good back then as well with Hot Pursuit 2.

I shouldn't dwell too much on the past, makes today's gaming feel so unoriginal, painting by numbers.

Kyuu said:

2001 no contest.

(List of 2001 games)

Was going to say 2007/2010 but this changed my mind. This was a spectacular year for games on all platforms. GTA 3, Max Payne, Halo, SH 2 and FFX in the same year... crazy.

I'd say 2004 was a pretty good contender too (particularly if you were a PC gamer back then) with Half Life 2, CS: Source, World of Warcraft, MGS 3, KOTOR 2, GTA San Andreas, Max Payne 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Halo 2, Far Cry, Fable, The Sims 2, Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario, Pikmin 2, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 and R&C: Up your Arsenal.

Leaning towards 2004 if I had to pick one year.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 September 2021

I'd go with the lucky 7s. 2017, 2007, 1997

Signature goes here!