By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Wii need a price cut in PAL?

The Wii could get a PAL pricecut next winter(Feb), NA may have to wait until next summer(09)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Probably not. The numbers from the PAL regions still look pretty good for Nintendo. Sure, some units manage to stay on the shelves for more than ten minutes, but don't you want customers to be able to walk into a store and pick one up on impulse? I know here in the U.S. there's been plenty of teeth gnashing over the Wii's lack of availability; why make less money off the hardware if it mostly serves to annoy your potential customers?

IMO, They will do a price cut to 199, if the euro stays strong against the yen in late October.

This will give them a big boost for the holidays. They may sell 3-4 million.

Consoles LTD, end 2009, end 2010 - prediction

Wii -  68 million, 90 million - Wii HD in late 2011 - $249

360 - 38 million, 47 million - 720 in late 2010 - $299

PS3 - 31 million, 43 million - slim PS3 in mid 2009 - $299 

Why would they even want a pirce cut? If it's not 'selling out' then what (little) isn't selling can be diverged to America. It's already outselling the (cheaper) 360 and eve nthe PS3 on a consistent basis, the only reason they'd cut the price would be to send it to even higher sales territory, which probably wouldn't be a good idea before production increases.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

But will they be able to manufacture that many units by then? I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a glut of Wiis in Europe et. al., and the holidays traditionally give manufacturers a big boost anyhow, so a price cut may just mean less money in the bank for Nintendo.

Because Lord knows, more money is exactly what Nintendo needs right now. I'm just waiting for them to purchase Fort Knox to use as Iwata's personal piggy bank.

Around the Network

No need for a pricecut, the Wii is selling extremely well, better than the rest, so pricecut could come out handly when it starts to lose momentum. After SSBB and Wii Fit release, but that would be close to Holiday season, so maybe next year.

Only if its necessary ^^

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

This thread is beyond belief. A Wii actually made it to a shelf somewhere and N should drop the price? N doesn't need a drop until it's #3 worldwide sales and they have no supply issue, with stock sitting on the shelves worldwide.

And I agree with almost everyone that posted above me, colors before cut.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

No way, lol, can't cut the price when you've got someone to buy your extra consoles.

When the Wii can meet demand worldwide, then, and only then, should a price cut happen.

Price cuts are limited items. You can't just have one every time sales are low. If Nintendo rations them our correctly, then it's probably already too late for the PS3 or 360 to beat them in sales worldwide.

It's gonna have to be a huge mistake by Nintendo to drop a lead like this.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I would say not because of decreasing demand. If there are extras available, just ship them to NA... I'm sure they are not that different on the inside...

That said, depending on the exchange rate it may make sense at some point.