By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS5 Twisted Metal game is reportedly (early) in development to coincide with TV series

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/car_combat_series_twisted_metal_allegedly_on_the_cusp_of_a_comeback

Car Combat Series Twisted Metal Allegedly on the Cusp of a Comeback

A new Twisted Metal game is reportedly in development, and will coincide with Sony’s upcoming television show. The series – which was previously rebooted on PlayStation 3 – is one of the oldest in PlayStation’s first-party portfolio, and while it never really resonated with the European market, is considered something of a cult classic in the United States.

The rumour, as is so often the case these days, traces back to GamesBeat scribe Jeff Grubb, speaking as part of his premium Giant Bomb podcast. “I think Twisted Metal is in the works but it may still be a ways off, so I think we’re early,” he said, adding that the synergy between its television and video game divisions “speaks to a larger strategy shift from Sony”.

I'd be hyped for a new Twisted Metal on PS5. It's been over a decade since we got anything Twisted Metal and I rather enjoyed the 2012 PS3 reboot. It's a damn shame we never got a follow-up on that awesome cliffhanger and now would be the perfect time to do so with the TV series in the works.

I know we already got Destruction All-Stars for our car destruction fix, but Twisted Metal has bigger stages and actual weapon-mounted cars firing machine guns, missiles, etc. that you can use right away, so it's not by any means a clone.

With rumors of a new SOCOM or new multiplayer IP from Guerilla Games, Metal Gear Solid remake from Blue Point and Silent Hill remake from an unknown studio all in development fresh off all those big game reveals at PlayStation Experience, I'd say us PS5 owners are about to be spoiled rotten with exclusives this gen. Kinda eases the pain of no ES6.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 11 September 2021

Around the Network

ES6 pain will be eased with KOTOR, Bioshock 4 and Dragons Dogma 2 as exclusives.
MGS, Silent Hill, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Sly Cooper.....Playstation fans will be EATING this gen and gens to come.

I feel these games had an era and there is a reason they are not making games like this anymore.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

One of the dormant Playstation IP's that could find success today if the game is done (or remade) well.

KManX89 said:

With rumors of a new SOCOM or new multiplayer IP from Guerilla Games, Metal Gear Solid remake from Blue Point and Silent Hill remake from an unknown studio all in development fresh off all those big game reveals at PlayStation Experience, I'd say us PS5 owners are about to be spoiled rotten with exclusives this gen. Kinda eases the pain of no ES6.

Never played Twisted Metal, but I guess that's cool, too.

Around the Network
src said:

ES6 pain will be eased with KOTOR, Bioshock 4 and Dragons Dogma 2 as exclusives.
MGS, Silent Hill, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Sly Cooper.....Playstation fans will be EATING this gen and gens to come.

Bioshock 4 exclusive?

Just wishful thinking or some legit rumors floating around?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The IP has so much potential. Not much competition in this space. It needs strict quality control this time around though and I can see myself arguing for it to be free.

A game of its kind will go viral at one point, it's up to SONY if they want that game to be the next twisted metal.

And No PS4 version please, a simultaneous release on the PC is fine as long as the devs don't have to worry about HHD

Not a game that clicked with me, but well it is a good thing for the people that were wanting it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Never been a fan of the series, the dark tone for this type of game puts me off. But hope it will be a great success and give fans of the series what they want.

Zippy6 said:

Never been a fan of the series, the dark tone for this type of game puts me off. But hope it will be a great success and give fans of the series what they want.

I take it you must not be a fan of the Resident Evil games, either then. I mean, it doesn't get much darker than "giant evil corporation wanting to control the world through bioterror via a virus that turns people into flesh-eating zombies and engineering monsters that eviscerate and devour people." I don't have a problem with games, movies or TV shows being dark and/or edgy, in fact, anyone who knows me knows I appreciate when people push their creative boundaries, it's when it reaches exploitation levels (Human Centipede, I Spit on Your Grave, Hostel, Hatred game, etc.) that I begin to have a problem.