By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts August 2021 Discussion Thread

Geez, we’re only 2xWii Us away from Switch outselling the Gameboy.
Seems like we will be celebrating that milestone when the sales results come in after Christmas 2022.

Around the Network

Really something to see Switch rocket ahead so decisively after about three years trailing its handheld predecessor.
By the end of next year Switch should be well and truly the #3 best selling system of all time in Japan.

I reckon we’ll be calling it in favour of Switch during May. By the end of next year Switch should definitely have made the number 3 spot its own with a total over 26 million.
So I agree that it will clearly be the undisputed #3 by then.

The Switch will definitely top the 3DS in the first half of 2022.

Did something happen around this month for PS4? It seems to curve upwards a bit more steeply, and 20k is less of a gain for Switch than usual.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Did something happen around this month for PS4? It seems to curve upwards a bit more steeply, and 20k is less of a gain for Switch than usual.

Yep, a little game called God of War released April 2018.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, a little game called God of War released April 2018.

Cheers. Impressive that Switch still gained ground during GoW month despite having a slow August.

Extraordinary that even with quite different circumstances, PS + Xbox are headed for almost the exact same total from Gen 7 and Gen 8. I wonder if that will continue for Gen 9; XS and PS5 are trending far ahead of their predecessors now; will they keep this pace, or are they just more frontloaded due to hype culture?

Most of the Switch comparison charts look like they are going to end in several months as Switch passes the other systems lifetime total.  The Wii vs. Switch in the US is one exception though.  The Wii still has a significant lead on the Switch.  

However, I still think the Switch has this one in the bag.  The Switch is fairly popular in the US and it still has plenty of life left in it.  The Switch is still only around the 1/2 way mark when it comes to sales.  In the US, Switch has sold about 30m so far.  I'm not sure if it can reach 60m there, but I do think it will probably sell about 55m.  We still haven't had a price cut yet for the Switch, and it has a strong holiday season coming up this year, and a solid lineup of games next year.  The Switch still has plenty of sales left in it.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US – August 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 139,883 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,500,872 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,382,160 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 30,653,545

Wii Total Sales: 35,035,705

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has shrunk the gap with the Wii when you align the launches by 139,883 million units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.50 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.38 million units.

The 54th month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2021 and for the Wii it is April 2011. The Switch has sold 30.65 million units, while the Wii sold 35.04 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 49.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.05 million units to outsell the Wii.

Wii was a beast, but it only one last big holiday season left in it now; after that it drops off while Switch should continue to have strong sales through 2022.