By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts August 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - August 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 177,136 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,021,211 - Switch

Total Lead: 11,700,740 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 90,244,510

PS4 Total Sales: 78,543,770

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 177,136 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 11.70 million units.

The 54th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is August 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is April 2018. The Switch has sold 90.24 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 78.54 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 62 where it sold 91.81 million units.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 116.41 million units through August 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 26.17 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

So Switch is now 8 months and nearly 12 million ahead of PS4.
And isn't this now aligned with PS4's peak year, 2017?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

So Switch is now 8 months and nearly 12 million ahead of PS4.
And isn't this now aligned with PS4's peak year, 2017?

No, the PS4's 2017 is month 39 to 50. We are already past that.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Share the article here.

Switch Outsells Combined 3DS and Wii U Sales

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 779,815 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,322,482 - Switch

Total Lead: 24,327,716 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 90,244,510

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 65,916,794

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 779,815 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.32 million units. The Switch leads by 24.33 million units.

The 54th month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is August 2015 and for the Wii U it is February 2017. The Switch has sold 90.24 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 65.92 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U sold 89.50 million units lifetime. The Switch has now outsold the combined the sales of the 3DS and Wii U.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The switch went over the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales. There, it is now officially successful.

Around the Network
Chicho said:

The switch went over the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales. There, it is now officially successful.

The bar for success has been raised to combined DS and Wii sales a while ago. So no, there's no official success yet.

The only official result is that Switch is not a failure now.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Chicho said:

Ah, this takes me back.

"Switch will sell on par with 3DS."

"They blew all their big games in its first year."

"Once all the hardcore Nintendo fans have on it will stop selling, and the Wii U shows there's only 13 million of those."

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Geez, we’re only 2xWii Us away from Switch outselling the Gameboy.
Seems like we will be celebrating that milestone when the sales results come in after Christmas 2022.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - August 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 162,378 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,222,587 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,262,527 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 21,061,636

3DS Total Sales: 18,799,109

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 162,378 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.22 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 2.26 million units.

The 54th month for the Switch is August 2021, while for the 3DS it is July 2015. The Switch has sold 21.06 million units, while the 3DS sold 18.80 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 68.

The 3DS has sold 24.66 million units lifetime in Japan through August 2021. The Switch is currently 3.60 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Really something to see Switch rocket ahead so decisively after about three years trailing its handheld predecessor.
By the end of next year Switch should be well and truly the #3 best selling system of all time in Japan.