By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Matrix Resurrections - Official Trailer (2021) Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss

I'm excited that it's a new Matrix movie, but I'm honestly keeping my expectations low. Mainly because it's no longer both of the Wachowskis with only Lana at the helm. Even then, the track record for their movies after The Matrix were pretty bad. I had some fun watching Speed Racer, but that's kinda been it lol. So I'm cautiously optimistic for this movie. As long as Lana tells an intriguing Matrix story with all the slick Matrix action and killer soundtrack we all know and love, as well as without any modern day woke feminism that has ruined so many popular movie franchises like this last Star Wars trilogy or 2016 Ghostbusters, then we'll have a winner on our hands!

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 09 September 2021

Around the Network

Excited for this. Looks a little more low budget than the original films and like others keeping my expectations in check. As long as its not worse than the second or third film, thats good enough for me. Really want to see the continuation of Neo's story and more of the world after the truce (war).

Spoiler!
Not fond of the cast change for Morpheus however.

I'm ambivalent. I hated both sequels but I still like the universe created by the Wachowskis. I might give this a shot.

Signature goes here!

I'm not against this movie, definitely gonna give it a chance. From what I have seen from the trailer however... I guess I miss some of that green tinted grit from the first movie. Looks to be a Matrix inspired visual experience on steroids. Basically the dojo scene compared to the 1999 one.

Looks a bit different than I expected. I'll try to keep those expectations in check. I wonder if this is basically Part 4 or a retcon or alternate timeline or what. We've all seen the highs and lows of what the Wachowskis are capable of. They seem to work best when kept in check by industry veterans that can keep the ship level as opposed to a blank check and bunch of yes men. Let's hope this production is more of the former.

gtotheunit91 said:

As long as Lana tells an intriguing Matrix story with all the slick Matrix action and killer soundtrack we all know and love, as well as without any modern day woke feminism that has ruined so many popular movie franchises like this last Star Wars trilogy or 2016 Ghostbusters, then we'll have a winner on our hands!

That's an odd concern for a franchise conceived by trans people, featuring LGBT and strong female characters.

Around the Network

Excited but I would've liked to see Keanu shaved/hair cut for this movie as his look seems to be stuck in the John Wick world to me. But understandably I'm sure he has to maintain that look for his other John Wick movies too and/or maybe he just doesn't want to go back to short hair.

TallSilhouette said:

Looks a bit different than I expected. I'll try to keep those expectations in check. I wonder if this is basically Part 4 or a retcon or alternate timeline or what. We've all seen the highs and lows of what the Wachowskis are capable of. They seem to work best when kept in check by industry veterans that can keep the ship level as opposed to a blank check and bunch of yes men. Let's hope this production is more of the former.

gtotheunit91 said:

As long as Lana tells an intriguing Matrix story with all the slick Matrix action and killer soundtrack we all know and love, as well as without any modern day woke feminism that has ruined so many popular movie franchises like this last Star Wars trilogy or 2016 Ghostbusters, then we'll have a winner on our hands!

That's an odd concern for a franchise conceived by trans people, featuring LGBT and strong female characters.

That's not my concern. My concern is if the characters being LGBT or female is all they bring to the table rather than being compelling and interesting characters. The movies I mentioned prioritized "diversity and inclusion" over good storytelling, which the blame isn't on the actors playing the characters, but more towards the Directors, Writers, and Producers.

I'm not interested in "strong female characters" I want more "strong characters that happen to be female" Give me more 2017 Wonder Woman, Ripley from Alien, Black Widow from the MCU, Rita Vrataski from Edge of Tomorrow, Zoe from Firefly, or Eowyn from Lord of the Rings where they grew as characters and you were able to connect with them or root for them. Trinity was AWESOME in the original Matrix movies and a total badass! And give me less Captain Marvel, Rey from the new Star Wars trilogy, the "new" Mulan, the Batwoman TV show, and Holdo also from the new Star Wars trilogy in The Last Jedi where they're "strong female characters" just because they're female. Not interested in that and doesn't make good TV or movies. The Mandalorian did a fantastic job of doing this correctly in Season 2. The season finale, I didn't even realize Mando was the only male protagonist in the room until someone pointed it out lol.

As long as the characters are well written and interesting, I'll be happy. Granted, the previous things I mentioned for a Matrix movie need to be there too lol

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 09 September 2021

I... don't get this. Is this a reboot, with most of the original cast playing their previous roles? Is this a sequel that somehow starts from the very beginning? What is this movie trying to be? There's no real point continuing the Matrix series anyway, the story finished. It didn't end on a cliffhanger, it had a proper ending that resolved the plot and the whole conflict of the series. Why continue it when there's nothing more to tell? And if they want to re-tell it, why bring the old cast back?This seems just a move to capitalise on Keanu Reeves' resurgence after John Wick, and nothing more.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 09 September 2021

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

hmm, getting strong The Force Awakens vibes from it. ie. it looks like a remake pretending to be a sequel. Not a good sign.

To be fair, a remake sequel is basically what the Matrix trilogy set up. The trilogy revealed that The Matrix was a cycle, there were 5 previous iterations of the Matrix and 5 previous "One's", what made Neo different from the previous "One's" is that his love was focused on a single person, Trinity, instead of on humanity as a whole, he chose to save her in Matrix Reloaded instead of doing what the other 5 "One's" had done, choosing survivors to repopulate Zion while the Matrix was reset. Then in Matrix Revolution we saw Neo negotiate a truce with the machines, killing Agent Smith, who wants to destroy both the real world and the Matrix, in exchange for leaving humanity alone. Neo succeeds in defeating Agent Smith by allowing himself to be assimilated so that the Machines can use him as a connection to delete Agent Smith. Then Neo falls due to his injuries and is carried away by the machines, and The Matrix is reset, with a final scene showing the Architect and the Oracle in a park, where we learn that the machines are holding up their end of the Truce for the time being, though they suggest that the truce will not last indefinitely, and the Oracle says that she thinks we will see Neo again one day.

Considering all of that, it was pretty much always safe to assume that this 4th movie was going to be a remake style reboot that harkens back to the original. Presumably the machines, after carrying away Neo's body, have placed him in his own personal Matrix where Trinity is still alive, created from his memories of her. The new characters in this movie seem to be part of the next generation of freedom fighters within the Matrix's 7th version of the cycle, who go into Neo's personal Matrix to get him to wake up. Presumably, the truce only lasted temporarily, just as the Oracle and Architect suggested it would, and now the Machines have decided to continue the cycle of the Matrix once again, and Neo is needed to stop the cycle once and for all this time. 

Very well put and completely makes sense! If that is indeed the plotline Lana Wachowski had in mind lol

Coincidentally I watched the original trilogy not long ago after many years. As I remembered, the first is mindblowing. Way, way ahead of it’s time. Even if I saw it a couple times in the past already I was still on the edge of my seat and uttered the equivalent of “w.. t.. f..” when it was over. However, also as I remembered, the sequels were pretty terrible with a plot that doesn’t make sense and at the end even contradicts the rest of the series.

After watching this trailer I’m not really expecting anything great, but I’ll watch it anyways out of curiosity. I’m not sure what happened with Laurence Fishburne, but I’ll wait for the explanation before passing judgement on that. He’ll be missed in any case. So will Hugo Weaving, but obviously he can’t be back.