By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of the Fallout franchise?

Salnax said:

Which Fallout? A choice-oriented role-playing game like Fallout, Fallout 2, and New Vegas? Or a big Action RPG/looter shooter like Fallout 3 and 4? Because I don't know how you can appease both fanbases, the way your post seems to hint at.

Well wasn't Wastelan a spiritual successor to OG Fallout games and they releases 2 and 3 in recent years. Seems they have franchise for both fanbases.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Fallout 77 of course

I am Iron Man

FO1/2 being one of my all time favorite games, I'm not interested in anything coming from Bethesda regarding Fallout - they time and time again proved that they don't understand (or just don't care about) true essence of FO.

But there is hope that MS, which is now owner of Fallout IP, will give at least some smaller project to Obsidian or inXile...after all, collectivelly, those ARE the folks (mostly) who made Fallout in the first place, so maybe there is glimmer of hope for a proper Fallout CRPG in the future.

Until then, Fallout Nevada and Fallout Resurrection srcatched that FO1/2 itch, and I'm patiently waiting for English translation of Fallout Sonora.

gtotheunit91 said:

*Bethesda Game Studios Logo* "In Association with" *Obsidian Entertainment Logo* "And" *inXile Entertainment Logo* "Fallout 5"

No, thanks.

You want Obsidian or inXile involved, give them a spin-off.  That would be fine.  I haven't had the desire to finish the last two Obsidian games I've played (Pillars of Eternity and The Outer Worlds) and neither one impressed me very much.  The Outer Worlds was especially underwhelming.  I thought Wasteland 3 was much better than either one but don't see much of a reason to bring inXile into mainline Fallout development--a Fallout cRPG seems much more their style.

Fallout (under Bethesda) is my favorite series in gaming and I definitely want more of their vision for the franchise.

That being said, I highly doubt Microsoft will be nearly as patient with game development as Bethesda has been historically.  They probably want to milk Fallout and The Elder Scrolls for all they are worth so I think we'll definitely see them move to developing both at the same time (and Starfield if it's a success) plus more side-projects.

Pls buy my Fallout product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274940154452

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I'd hazard a guess that they're gonna do a new isometric Fallout RPG developed by Obsidian using the Pillars of Eternity tools, all in the style of the originals to keep farming that PC market while keeping the IP fresh in peoples minds.

With Bethesda busy on Starfield and TES6, it makes perfect sense.