By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo Still Release a New Donkey Kong This Year?

Will Nintendo release a new DK this holiday?

Yes 5 12.20%

No, but they should 27 65.85%

Game's not real anyway... 9 21.95%

Total:41
CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Your hyperbole is highly unwaranted.

ACNH support is weak.

Here's Nintendo's line up for this year:

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

2. New Pokémon Snap

3. Miitopia

4. Famicom Detective Club

5. DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power

6. Game Builder Garage

7. Mario Golf: Super Rush

8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

9. WarioWare: Get It Together!

10. Metroid Dread

11. Mario Party Superstars

12. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

13. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain

The bolded are games from franchises or sub-franchises that previously weren't represented on the Switch. Several have quite literally been brought back from the dead. They clearly care about a lot of franchises.

The 2.65M number for DKCTF is as of December 31st 2019. As of mid 2020 it was at 2.93M. So it's clearly over 3M by now.

You had me at every game in your list except DC Superhero Girls, since it's just another substandard modern DC Comics cartoon turned into a game that nobody really cares about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that other Nintendo franchises are being brought back this year for Switch, but Donkey Kong's absence this year still hurts because this year was his 40th anniversary. THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE GAME THAT MADE NINTENDO BIG IN ARCADES BACK IN THE EARLY 1980S!!!!!

And where did you see that as of mid 2020 Tropical Freeze was 2.93M?

Bold: I know nobody cares about it, but it exists.

I got it from Wikipedia before the edit was reverted because the source was considered unreliable. There were numbers up to June 2020 for all games that didn't get updated past 2019 or March 2020.

Just found the edit in question. It's in the Wiki article "List of best-selling Nintendo Switch video games". The link was just to a post on Resetera, the original source wasn't explicitly linked, but the numbers apparently come from an investor who asked for updated numbers.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/post-50701693

That thread in general is very interesting.

May seem fishy, but that doesn't change that DKCTF definitely crossed 3M by now.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
archbrix said:

Also worth noting is that Tropical Freeze didn't sell well on Switch compared to other WiiU ports of Nintendo games.  However, although this new game is rumored to be 2D, it is dropping the "Donkey Kong Country" moniker of the past installments all together - perhaps giving the series a fresh start and redefining two dimensional Donkey Kong.  If true, that's a pretty big deal - especially considering that the "Country" series is widely regarded as very good.

Tropical Freeze, according to the database, has moved 2,010,000 units on Wii U and 2,650,000 units on Switch, or 131% of the Wii U sales. That isn't bad, that's pretty good. Compared to other Wii U Ports?

Pikmin 3 Wii U - 1.27 mil, Switch - 2.04 mil (161% of Wii U).

Mario Kart 8 Wii U - 8.45 mil, Switch - 37.08 mil (439% of Wii U).

Mario 3D World Wii U - 5.87 mil, Switch - 6.68 mil (114% of Wii U).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U - 5.81 mil, Switch - 10.44 mil (179% of Wii U).

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U - 1.36 mil, Switch - 1.44 mil (106% of Wii U).

DKTF actually did quite well % wise if you don't include MarioKart. Zelda doesn't count because it released simultanously on two platforms, and the Wii U version released on a lame-duck console in its final breath of life, sabatoging sales potential.

My fault; I left out an important detail:  Tropical Freeze sold poorly based on the selling power of the IP. Pikmin and Captain Toad aren't franchises that drive sales.  Comparing a port of a DK game to Mario is more accurate:  Bowser's Fury will definitely be a 10m+ seller and both it and NSMBU should end up over 12m in sales.  Tropical freeze will probably sell only about a third of that total - particularly disheartening considering it's such an excellent game.

If there is a new Donkey Kong, they will need a big new idea for it. I don't think that they can just make another SNES inspired one. I reckon there will be a new Nintendo IP this year, though.

VAMatt said:

Yes, yes, no.

I have no idea at all about DK showing up and being released this year. Just guessing.

On Switch sales.....A 2D Donkey Kong game won't make any difference. I expect Switch sales will be about the same as last year if XB and PS remain supply constrained and Switch is widely available. Switch sales may fall slightly if XB and PS5 are widely available. Obviously, Switch can only sell units that exist, so supply constraints could come into play there as well.

Supply is a concern; Nintendo recently lowered its forecast for this year to 25.5m due to the chip shortages.  However, Nintendo has comfortably exceeded its recent predictions, so I wouldn't be too worried about Switch selling close to what it did last year.

My take is, even of the Switch were already destined to be a complete sellout this holiday, Nintendo should still deliver Donkey Kong if it is indeed ready.  Commemorating DK's 40th anniversary is a big deal... or should be, anyway.

I'm not counting on it happening this year. It would be cool, though.

Around the Network

Saying that Nintendo missed the anniversary so they clearly are never going to make a DK game ever again is a pretty garbage take, especially given the game development situation over the last couple years. A lot of games were pushed back because of the Coronavirus. Who knows, maybe Nintendo originally planned to release it this year, but weren't going to make it. None of us in this thread know. Games take time to make and you should never really sacrifice your long term plan for a game because of an anniversary date.

We'll see whether Nintendo announces a DK game over the next couple of years. If so: Great. If not: I'm sure they are working on other games.

CaptainExplosion said:
sundin13 said:

Saying that Nintendo missed the anniversary so they clearly are never going to make a DK game ever again is a pretty garbage take, especially given the game development situation over the last couple years. A lot of games were pushed back because of the Coronavirus. Who knows, maybe Nintendo originally planned to release it this year, but weren't going to make it. None of us in this thread know. Games take time to make and you should never really sacrifice your long term plan for a game because of an anniversary date.

We'll see whether Nintendo announces a DK game over the next couple of years. If so: Great. If not: I'm sure they are working on other games.

Nintendo making other games is nice, but we need a new Donkey Kong. He's the character who helped Nintendo get their start in the Western gaming landscape back in 1981. Nowadays they've been acting like he doesn't even exist.

We don't need anything from Nintendo. I think we'll live without DK for a few more years. 

This fan entitlement is just weird to me...