By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

mZuzek said:
PAOerfulone said:

What exactly were you expecting, if I may ask?

Because by Metroid's standards, this is absolutely fantastic. Any Metroid fan should be overjoyed by those numbers. It's at an easy 1 million between the US and Japan alone. If we factor in Europe and the rest of the other regions, it's probably closing in on Prime 1 as we speak.

I don't know, just... I'm not impressed by it overtaking Prime 1, that was a given on the Switch. Everything on it breaks records, but some blow records out of the water while others just raise the bar a little. I was hoping for 5 million at least for Dread, and that may indeed happen, but I really hoped it'd be more. Then again I don't think we even know if the 850k number includes digital sales, never mind other regions, and then there's the holidays coming up. I guess there's still plenty to come.

The US number does include digital. We know that.

5mil+ is now almost guaranteed. No need to be disappointed.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Honestly, for as good as Dread's sales numbers are, I'm kinda disappointed they're not better. It seemed to be everything anyone talked about.

Metroid Dread, a 2D $60 game in 2021, has a first month sales total in the US that is greater than Metroid Prime 1, Prime 2, Prime 3, and Prime Trilogy's combined first month total. The fact that Nintendo made point to highlight it's sales numbers speaks volumes. Fire Emblem Three House ended up at over 3 million lifetime. Nintendo didn't announce it's first month's sales totals. Hell, Fire Emblem fans had to wait for a quarterly report to see the game was doing well.

PAOerfulone said:

Basing these off of Paul Gale's calculations, these could be Dread's final sales figures if they follow these stats.

854k x 3.62 = 3,091,480 units in the US alone.

3,091,480 / .55 = 5,620,873 units worldwide.

If "first month in US" means NPD month, then that's a lot of garbage maths. Dread launched during the first month of the tracking period and that's certainly not the case for all Metroid games.

Dread is definitely on track to match the previous sales ceiling for Metroid games because of its strong launch and the inevitable digital discounts Nintendo's first party games get on Switch, but people shouldn't expect 5m+ based on fundamentally flawed calculations.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Over 5 million lifetime is definitely on the table, but honestly just selling over 3 million would be a big deal for a series that in 35 years and 14 entries has never hit that threshold, and has only passed 2 million twice.
If Dread ends up selling say, 3.5 or 4 million, I'd consider that a success and be satisfied.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 November 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

We have to take into account that Metroid has been in the darkness for quite some time. The last big entry (and probably the biggest one ever in terms of budget and scale) was Other M in 2010, and it barely sold over 1 million. After that we only got Federation Force, which bombed very very hard and a remake of one of the most obscure numbered Metroid entries on a console that was way past its prime. That one sold like 500.000 units I think.

Dread selling anything between 3 and 5.5 million lifetime is an absolute win. Not only will be the best selling game on the franchise, it will be remembered as one of the biggest comebacks in gaming history.

BTW, completely unrelated, there's something about Mercury Steam that I find quite curious. They have worked with the two franchises that give name to the Metroidvania genre. However, when they worked with Castlevania, they stripped off its exploration roots and turned it into a linear 3D action game. But when they had to work with Metroid, they were very careful about being faithful to the franchise's roots.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

We have to take into account that Metroid has been in the darkness for quite some time. The last big entry (and probably the biggest one ever in terms of budget and scale) was Other M in 2010, and it barely sold over 1 million. After that we only got Federation Force, which bombed very very hard and a remake of one of the most obscure numbered Metroid entries on a console that was way past its prime. That one sold like 500.000 units I think.

Dread selling anything between 3 and 5.5 million lifetime is an absolute win. Not only will be the best selling game on the franchise, it will be remembered as one of the biggest comebacks in gaming history.

BTW, completely unrelated, there's something about Mercury Steam that I find quite curious. They have worked with the two franchises that give name to the Metroidvania genre. However, when they worked with Castlevania, they stripped off its exploration roots and turned it into a linear 3D action game. But when they had to work with Metroid, they were very careful about being faithful to the franchise's roots.

That's because the producer was still Sakamoto and one of the two directors is also from Nintendo. It wasn't only Mercury Steam.

Vodacixi said:

It's also worth noting that Castlevania: Lord of Shadows was a very good game despite the switch in genre.

Signature goes here!

I want a Super Metroid remake and Prime HD port. Feels like it will never happen.

Chrkeller said:

I want a Super Metroid remake and Prime HD port. Feels like it will never happen.

I'm sure a Super Metroid remake will happen in the future. There have been rumors of Metroid Prime getting an HD remaster for a while. Maybe it'll happen sometime before Prime 4 comes out?

It's probably at half of Prime's lifetime numbers in its first month (~3 weeks).

Holiday sales will tell us a lot. Is it going to dwindle after the first few weeks because everyone who wanted it picked it up when it came out (think Zelda: LA's remake) or will it be a solid holiday seller.
Hopefully it'll at least be over 2 million worldwide at end of year.

I'd think minimum it will sell is 3 million. I think 4 million is likely. 5 million is a maybe and probably depends on price cut at some point and if future Switch Metroid games reignite a selling spree for Dread when they come out.