By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's Talk about the new Saints Row

I havent played theese games but the goofy trailers always made me want to try them. This really seems like a totally diferent game.

While diversity quota characters are not fundamentally bad for a game, we gota see if everything revolves around it wich is what really kills a game. So for now I'm wary.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Angelus said:

So, basically, "we're afraid that if we made an actual Saints Row game, we'd get cancelled by this new generation of whiny little assholes who take offense to literally everything, and turn that offense into an issue of global importance...so instead we're making some generic Ubisoft game."

Pretty much. Scared to piss off other the (small) vocal minority of Karens instead catering to the fan base/user base that are the actual bulk of the business is like shooting yourself (the company) in the foot. Now we have all generic cast of plebs who love their lattes, food and Instrams, mirroring the devs power fantasies ilk into their own game. And in of their pursuit of diversity end up making characters so generic and samey you'd barely be able to distinguish them. Did WD Legion not teach anyone anything..

Bristow9091 said:

It means no more floppy dildo sword sword :( I watched the trailer and honestly forgot I was watching a Saints Row trailer... and as soon as the guy with the motorbike helmet showed up I was like "Wow, he looks like the guy from Watchdogs 2..." can't say it impressed me whatsoever, although I also haven't seen gameplay so hopefully it might be fun to play? I could accept that it's another game in the Saints Row universe just like Agents of Mayhem was, but not that this is an actual reboot and these are supposed to be THE Saints, y'know? Where's Johnny and Kenzie?! I was hoping we'd get a sequel to 4 with time travel and stuff, that could have had so much potential to be amazing!

... I'll still wait until we see gameplay though, like I said it MIGHT be fun, I'll just have to rewrite my head canon into saying this isn't actually a Saints Row game, lol :P

Ngl gonna miss all the wacky weapons. Crude? Maybe.. fun, hell yes!

I read/watched some previews and this ones going to be more grounded and yeah the gameplay could be alright. Its the characters and story that puts me way off the game and I'm one of those people who actually played SR games for the those aspects lol.

hinch said:

Tone deaf karens making our entertainment fit their agendas with generic versions of themselves; ie grouchy/edgy and unlikable instead of listening to their fans. What can possibly go wrong?

Like what does this even mean -

https://www.pcgamesn.com/saints-row/new-tone

shikamaru317 said:
Chazore said:

The main characters look like some stereotypical types that were made to fill some stupid checklist (like forced diversity), and don't feel like they are really part of a gang that's set to become the leaders of a city.

Goofy action seems almost there, but we'll have to wait and see what gameplay they can show us. I just hope the devs don't pull another bs deal with Epic though, because Saints in a fave series to me.

Also bring back Gat. If gat ain't in the story or is radically changed completely, then it isn't Saints Row.

Yeah, I've gotten to the point now where I pretty much disregard any form of media that has a main female character with the shaved side of the head, I can count the female characters with that hairstyle that I liked and were actually well written on maybe 3 fingers. 

Yeah, after reading what Hinch posted...yeah, I'm out. SR is pretty much dead to me if it's a studio run by Karens, nothing ever, and I mean ever good comes from Karens running any kind of business/show. 

All we need to do now is wait for enough fans to call them out on these "changes", and then watch as the karens of the studio flock to their local Twitter accounts and gnash at the teeth (because that's what always happens, and it's recently happened with Blizz as well, and even they have karens running their writing dept sadly). 

I hate that not only is the comic book industry being obliterated and run into the ground by karens, but seems like the games industry is being plagued with them too. Too bad the higher ups in almost any company that hires them are far too stupid to realise that this is how you lost trust and profit for the long-run. 

Also, yeah, there's been far, far too many shaved hairstyle gals last gen and this gen as well and it's honestly become a rather sad trope that helps identify the karen who designed them (rather poorly at that). I quite like the hairstyle, but I feel that it's being used on the wrong people and for stupid reasons (like trying to assert that said character is "rebellious" half the time). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 26 August 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Bristow9091 said:
hinch said:

Tone deaf karens making our entertainment fit their agendas with generic versions of themselves; ie grouchy/edgy and unlikable instead of listening to their fans. What can possibly go wrong?

Like what does this even mean -

https://www.pcgamesn.com/saints-row/new-tone

It means no more floppy dildo sword sword :( I watched the trailer and honestly forgot I was watching a Saints Row trailer... and as soon as the guy with the motorbike helmet showed up I was like "Wow, he looks like the guy from Watchdogs 2..." can't say it impressed me whatsoever, although I also haven't seen gameplay so hopefully it might be fun to play? I could accept that it's another game in the Saints Row universe just like Agents of Mayhem was, but not that this is an actual reboot and these are supposed to be THE Saints, y'know? Where's Johnny and Kenzie?! I was hoping we'd get a sequel to 4 with time travel and stuff, that could have had so much potential to be amazing!

... I'll still wait until we see gameplay though, like I said it MIGHT be fun, I'll just have to rewrite my head canon into saying this isn't actually a Saints Row game, lol :P

"We were able to do things that felt good back then, but that tone is not something that we feel we even want to do today."

Do those honestly sound like the words of people who understand fun?

Can someone tell me what in the in the OG games, cant be done these days? i can imagine pimps and hoes but aside from that im drawing a blank,
and if i dig in my memory wasnt it the guy with the autotune voice that was infront of the carriage and not the girls?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

So I just found out that it's also EGS exclusive. Seriously, that's the third SR game they've made exclusive with Epic. Volition is straight up dead to me.

Also from the Polygon article:

“When we would talk about Saints Row 4, we would talk about how you were coming from the crack house, to the penthouse, to the White House,” Jim Boone, Volition’s chief creative officer, mused in a preview livestream two weeks ago. “By the time you’re done with Saints Row 4, you are the ruler of the galaxy. If you were to think, ‘Where would we take it from there?’ — we went to Hell and conquered that, even, right? So there truly isn’t anywhere to go past that.”

Thus, it was “a pretty easy decision for us to go back to our roots,” Boone said, and that’s how we got Saints Row — no numbering or subtitling — launching Feb. 25, 2022 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Windows PC via the Epic Games Store. In the game, players lead a cohort of Gen Z crime impresarios in the takeover of an all-new city, the corrupt, Vegas-like playground named Santo Ileso.

“So this, with it being rebooted, is a completely new story; it doesn’t fit chronologically with any of the ones that we have done,” Boone said. “We have little nods here and there to some of our previous mascots and things like that, but it is a brand new story.”

So they really are just aiming for Gen-Z's, what a shitshow.

Can't even trust an old company like Volition to make one reboot faithful and non exclusive, no, gotta play it super "non offensively" safe and also secure some free cash in case you shit the bed. The lack of a spine they have is just depressing. Thank god I won't be buying from them ever again (3 strikes rule when you deal with Epic).

Edit: I think it's safe to say the rest of the net thinks the new game is trash, going by the comments section and dislike ratio:

Last edited by Chazore - on 26 August 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It really doesn't look that bad 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Chazore said:

So I just found out that it's also EGS exclusive. Seriously, that's the third SR game they've made exclusive with Epic. Volition is straight up dead to me.

Also from the Polygon article:

“When we would talk about Saints Row 4, we would talk about how you were coming from the crack house, to the penthouse, to the White House,” Jim Boone, Volition’s chief creative officer, mused in a preview livestream two weeks ago. “By the time you’re done with Saints Row 4, you are the ruler of the galaxy. If you were to think, ‘Where would we take it from there?’ — we went to Hell and conquered that, even, right? So there truly isn’t anywhere to go past that.”

Thus, it was “a pretty easy decision for us to go back to our roots,” Boone said, and that’s how we got Saints Row — no numbering or subtitling — launching Feb. 25, 2022 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Windows PC via the Epic Games Store. In the game, players lead a cohort of Gen Z crime impresarios in the takeover of an all-new city, the corrupt, Vegas-like playground named Santo Ileso.

“So this, with it being rebooted, is a completely new story; it doesn’t fit chronologically with any of the ones that we have done,” Boone said. “We have little nods here and there to some of our previous mascots and things like that, but it is a brand new story.”

So they really are just aiming for Gen-Z's, what a shitshow.

Can't even trust an old company like Volition to make one reboot faithful and non exclusive, no, gotta play it super "non offensively" safe and also secure some free cash in case you shit the bed. The lack of a spine they have is just depressing. Thank god I won't be buying from them ever again (3 strikes rule when you deal with Epic).

Edit: I think it's safe to say the rest of the net thinks the new game is trash, going by the comments section and dislike ratio:

Wow I was on a wait and see aproach to this game. But this puts it pretty clear what their target audience is. 

I just don't get the thinking of companies abandoning the current fanbase to try and chase a group that has shown zero interest in what you done before. I guess they are thinking of star wars where the fans and the new target all watch then the fans abandon it and they keep the new young audience. Because lets be honest fans are masochist and it took a few butchering of the franchise for them to be fed up. Thats a ton of money for the companies. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

This is yet another "how old are you?" thread and it doesn't even need to ask for ages. Best one yet.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Just maybe they got tired of doing the same thing and wanted to do something different. Good or bad, I am still waiting on what the game actually is then all the belly aching. Personally, the previous games just got boring to me so I do not have that much expectations but I am always willing to try something different.