By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2021: Los Angeles Rams Win Super Bowl LVI

Who will win Super Bowl LVI?

Kansas City Chiefs 2 9.09%

Buffalo Bills 2 9.09%

Baltimore Ravens 0 0%

Cleveland Browns 1 4.55%

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 31.82%

Green Bay Packers 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 3 13.64%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other (AFC) 3 13.64%

Other (NFC) 1 4.55%

Total:22

Can't believe they won two super bowls with shitty ass Ben. They had a good rb then right and probably defense.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

You forgot to list his two sexual assaults

Apparently raping a 20 year old woman, and attempting to rape all of her friends is forgiven if you win a super bowl.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

RolStoppable said:

Eh, the dominance is rather coming to an end because the Browns aren't absolute garbage anymore, which they've clearly been for the biggest part of Big Ben's career. The Bengals are a different caliber with Burrow and Chase too; the two are already looking better than Dalton and Green ever did. Steelers vs. Ravens has almost always been close in results, so not dominant to begin with.

The Steelers defense is still top shelf, so the team merely needs a serviceable QB to grind out wins in the AFC North. Even this year with Big Ben being a shadow of his former self, the Steelers went 4-2 in the AFC North.

The Browns are no threat because they no longer have a deep threat game. Not even a little. And they are very likely to Brown it next season. The problem is not only Baker, but the coach. Stefanski showed his colors this season. He's not one to work around talent, he sticks to a system. You have a rock star WR like OBJ? well fuck you OBJ cuz I'm gonna stick you into a system that murders any talent you have. RBs and TEs rule Stefanski's mind. The Browns WRs are not developed nor do they ever have any opportunity to on field. The current WRs want out, and no WRs want to come to Cleveland. Even if the Browns get a talented QB, the system doesn't let them loose. And Stefanski is too stubborn to let QBs play out of structure.

I highly anticipate Kirk Cousins making his way to Cleveland because the newly hired GM for the Vikings is a highly respected, highly inteligent Browns' front office man. Add to the fact Stefanski was Kirks original QB coach in Minnesota. The two organizations are gonna be very open to communication and trades/deals.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

RolStoppable said:
Farsala said:

Record Against AFC North Opponents:
26-2-1 against Cleveland Browns
24-10 against Cincinnati Bengals
17-10 against Baltimore Ravens

Yeah the dominance of the Steelers in the AFC North might be at an end without Big Ben. The Steelers don't look like they are going for any top prospects.

Eh, the dominance is rather coming to an end because the Browns aren't absolute garbage anymore, which they've clearly been for the biggest part of Big Ben's career. The Bengals are a different caliber with Burrow and Chase too; the two are already looking better than Dalton and Green ever did. Steelers vs. Ravens has almost always been close in results, so not dominant to begin with.

The Steelers defense is still top shelf, so the team merely needs a serviceable QB to grind out wins in the AFC North. Even this year with Big Ben being a shadow of his former self, the Steelers went 4-2 in the AFC North.

Ravens and Bengals had periods of very strong teams, one that would even win the SB. The Browns were stronger in recent years, and is now weakening again. That didn't really stop the Steelers from winning against them during the regular season.

Steelers don't really have a serviceable QB anymore. If the Steelers have to invest on beefing up their offense, then resources will be taken away from their defense.

sethnintendo said:

Can't believe they won two super bowls with shitty ass Ben. They had a good rb then right and probably defense.

Ben played horribly in his first Super Bowl.  I put that mostly on Ben being a 2nd year QB who was really restricted his first couple of seasons by Offensive Coordinator Ken Wisenhunt.  Ben really developed after Bruce Arians became the Offensive Coordinator in 2007, leading Ben to be a huge factor in the Steelers XLIII win against the Cardinals, and surpassing the 4,000 yards passing in a season mark for the first time in 2010.

Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23

C/ATT1YdsTDINTRating
Ben Roethlisberger21/302561193.2

Steelers had 58 total yards rushing in the game.  Down by 3 points with 2:37 to go in the game, Big Ben engineered a 78 yard game winning drive capped off by threading the game winning TD pass past 3 Cardinals defenders for the win.

Scoring summary
QuarterTimeDriveTeamScoring informationScore
PlaysYardsTOPPITARI
40:358782:02PITSantonio Holmes 6-yard touchdown reception from Ben Roethlisberger, Reed kick good2723

Pittsburgh got the ball back on their own 22-yard line with 2:37 left in the game and two timeouts remaining. On their first play, a holding penalty pushed them back 10 yards. Roethlisberger then completed a pass to Holmes for 14 yards. After an incompletion, Roethlisberger threw it to Holmes again for a first down. An 11-yard reception by Nate Washington followed, and a 4-yard run by Roethlisberger forced the Steelers to burn their first timeout. On the very next play, he completed a pass to Holmes, who took it 40 yards to the Cardinals' 6-yard line after safety Aaron Francisco fell down. Two plays later, Roethlisberger found Mewelde Moore covered in the flat, then Ward covered. He looked and then threw to Holmes, who ran a flag route in the right corner. Holmes caught the pass in the back corner of the end zone for a touchdown, managing to land with his toes inbounds before falling out of bounds. "My feet never left the ground," said Holmes. "All I did was extend my arms and use my toes as an extension to catch up to the ball." After a booth review, the touchdown pass stood. Reed's ensuing extra point put the Steelers in front 27–23 with 35 seconds remaining.

If he had managed to pull off that kind of drive with 2 minutes left against the Packers down by just 6 in Super XLV, he would have won a 3rd Lombardi Trophy.  Ben threw 2 first half int's early in the game to put them behind, but Rashard Mendenhall's 4th quarter fumble while the score was just 17-21 was the actual back breaker.

hatmoza said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You forgot to list his two sexual assaults

Apparently raping a 20 year old woman, and attempting to rape all of her friends is forgiven if you win a super bowl.

What?  First off, no.  The allegation itself is enough without you needing to add to it.  It's that kind of thing that makes it easier for a person to dismiss the allegation itself.  But, I'm not going to pretend to know what really happened.  I only know that no criminal charges were pressed in either case.  And in the case of the college student her exchange with police officers that night was:

The summary said, "Blash indicated that he asked the victim, 'Did he rape you?', and the victim stated 'no.' Blash asked the victim if they had sex, and she responded by saying, 'Well, I'm not sure.' "

Also, a rape kit was performed which found no traces of Ben's DNA enough though the woman said they had intercourse without a condum.

If what happened actually happened the way she claimed at the time, then yes, that's a horrible thing.  I hope it didn't, but I won't pretend to know for certain either way.

Farsala said:
RolStoppable said:

Ravens and Bengals had periods of very strong teams, one that would even win the SB. The Browns were stronger in recent years, and is now weakening again. That didn't really stop the Steelers from winning against them during the regular season.

Steelers don't really have a serviceable QB anymore. If the Steelers have to invest on beefing up their offense, then resources will be taken away from their defense.

In 2019, Mike Tomlin managed to get a 5-3 record out of Mason Rudolph, and a 3-3 record out of Devlin Hodges (who isn't even in the NFL anymore).  So, they have managed to stay competitive even with Ben recently.  I don't expect them to go into 2022 with Mason Rudolph as the starter though, especially since Tomlin didn't even give him the 14 starts that Ben missed in 2019 while wasting 6 starts on a QB he was going to cut anyway.  I really hope he doesn't try to go through a season with Dwayne Haskins as the starter either.  So, it will be interesting to see if they draft another QB, or try to trade for one of the available veterans this offseason.  They will be in a much better cap position this offseason than they were last year.  And, they finally have a franchise back in the backfield again, and a strong receiving tight end.  But, regardless of who is throwing passes, they absolutely need to upgrade their offensive line this year.  I don't expect them to win a division title anytime soon (unless they pull of a coup like bringing in Aaron Rodgers), but I don't expect them to crater either.  I don't deny that the Bengals are definitely the strongest team in the AFC North right now though.

Around the Network

Wasn’t the first Super Bowl the Seahawks? That game was a travesty, rivaled the NBA in terms of officials making horrific calls and deciding the game.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Wasn’t the first Super Bowl the Seahawks? That game was a travesty, rivaled the NBA in terms of officials making horrific calls and deciding the game.

Yes, the first Super Bowl was XL against the Seahawks.  The 2 major penalties that have been so maligned now were referred to as "ticky-tack calls" by announcers at the time.  Meaning the calls were legit, but people would prefer them not to be called in a game like that.  The thing is, not calling a penalty that has been committed has just as much effect on a game as calling the penalty.  So one way or the other, the ref is deciding the course of a game whichever decision he makes. 

By the way, I was at that game.  The only Super Bowl I have ever been to.  I drove from NJ to Detroit that weekend and sat in a Seahawks heavy section of the stadium (although the rest of Ford Field was pretty densely filled with black and gold).  None of the Seahawks fans during the game or at the hotel I stayed at pinned the loss on the officiating at the time.  They blamed dropped passes by their offense, Matt Hasselbeck's 4th Quarter interception, and the defense for giving up that Willie Parker Super Bowl Record 75 yard TD run. 

Jerramy Stevens dropped 3 passes in the game.  Mike Holmgren himself said "we did drop the ball uncharacteristically" in addition to being upset about the penalties.  And Stevens himself said, "Obviously, I was considered to make plays. I didn't go outside myself. I just didn't make the plays.  I had the opportunity to make three or four big plays, and I didn't make them.  It was frustrating.  I have no one to blame but myself.  The bottom line is.  I didn't get it done."

Also, Josh Brown missed 2 long Field Goals.

Of the drives that the biggest Seahawks penalties were called on, the first of them was a 1st quarter drive that ended in a FG instead of a TD.  So, that's a net loss of 4 points.  The 2nd big offensive penalty was on an early 4th quarter drive that ended in a Matt Hasselbeck interception anyway.  The Seahawks had 3 possessions in the 4th Quarter.  The aforementioned interception, a punt, and a turnover on downs.  

Matt Hasselbeck said after the game, "I'm not sure they were mental mistakes as much as just mistakes.  I guess it wasn't our day that way. You can't make the mistakes we made and expect to win the game against a good team like that."

The way people talk about the game now, it's only the penalties that effected the game though.

Man. I will miss you watching football Tom. You are the goat.

List of Tom Brady's accomplishments.

Tom Brady's 22-year career:
* 7X Super Bowl champion
* 5X Super Bowl MVP
* 3X NFL MVP
* did not rape women like Ben Rothlisberger
* 15X Pro Bowl
* 6X All Pro
* NFL's all time passing TD leader (624)
* NFL's all passing yard leader (85,520)
* Most career wins: 243

Wow. Didn't really expect Brady to walk away yet, when he was still playing at an elite level. Even as someone who generally rooted against him/his teams, I can't help but be a bit sad to see him go. On the other hand, the man has achieved everything there is to achieve in his sport, and he's walking away while he's still near the peak of his ability. Nobody's going to have any lingering images of him floundering around for a year or two, trying to hang desperately onto past glory. Good for him.