By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soulja Boy Owns Atari Now, Maybe -_-

Yung Draco stay making moves. First Rapper to buy a gaming company

Around the Network

Seems unlikely. Atari as a brand is owned by a holding company. The main income is from selling licenses to t-shirt manufacturers.

You can license the Atari logo from them for anything you want. Including drop shipping knock-off consoles on Amazon...

But why?

The games IP are all basically worthless. Its so dated you cant even translate it to anything modern, and make use if the name.
Also most younger people, wont even realise, its from a known IP (whats "pong"? does it have CoD? or Fortnite?).

Thats not even mentioning the Atari brand itself, which isnt super great either.
Imo soulja-boy just tossed 140m out the window, or however much he paid.

CaptainExplosion said:

Well it was bullshit after all.

He really is a lying little dumbass.

It's disappointing that you even considered it. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

CaptainExplosion said:

In the past few decades, I didn't think Atari's situation could get any worse.

Then this happened.

He actually said this shit. I don't understand what the fuck this dickhead is even doing other than making shitty knock off consoles.

Does this weirdo actually have orange wool pretending to be bleached dreadlocks?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The contract he showed was for "Atari Tokens" so it has nothing to do with the computer game company.

Basically another "company" has licensed the Atari name to launch a cryptocurrency, and they are giving him 1m coins to advertise them for 30 days. Not that he has the "Sponsored Advert" tag on the video. Usually when one of these crypto-currency launches, the influencers pump it up to their followers and sell immediately. Then after a while the currency drops to worthless (usually).

It is "sort-of" a scam, although as an Atari Token isn't traded as an SEC regulated security I don't think it is illegal (which it would be if he did the same thing with some random penny share). It would be classified as insider trading because he has obtained Atari Token with prior knowledge of the launch and heavy advertising campaign, and will sell at a profit during the predictable price spike.

Somehow, I can't feel sorry for his victims/followers though. There is a phrase "You can't con an honest man. They have to want something for nothing." Maybe one day cryptocurrencies will be regulated as financial products, and this sort of thing won't happen.

dx11332sega said:

Basic-ly Soulja Boy got tricked and thought he owned Atari , Thought it was a million Stocks, it was actually cyrpto atari coin a coin noone cares , bought 1 million which coin cost half , gave Atari 500,000 dollars for free. Atari being so weak financial wise they flexed on Soulja boy.

I don't think you should give Soulja Boy benefit of the doubt.  These influencers may *pretend* to be dumb and it's a big part of their persona, but it's all fake.  Soulja Boy knows exactly what he is doing.  He is voluntarily part of a coordinated marketing blitz and he'll cash out early on when the hype is at its peak, just before Atari Tokens become just another worthless cryptocoin...

Maybe put it this way.... have you ever met anyone so stupid as some of these people act in real life?  I've not.

In any case as I said, it isn't Atari, it's just a bunch of people who bought the name for their new crypto coin thingy.  You can guess who will cash-out first when the coin goes live.

Last edited by OneTime - on 22 August 2021

OneTime said:
dx11332sega said:

Basic-ly Soulja Boy got tricked and thought he owned Atari , Thought it was a million Stocks, it was actually cyrpto atari coin a coin noone cares , bought 1 million which coin cost half , gave Atari 500,000 dollars for free. Atari being so weak financial wise they flexed on Soulja boy.

I don't think you should give Soulja Boy benefit of the doubt.  These influencers may *pretend* to be dumb and it's a big part of their persona, but it's all fake.  Soulja Boy knows exactly what he is doing.  He is voluntarily part of a coordinated marketing blitz and he'll cash out early on when the hype is at its peak, just before Atari Tokens become just another worthless cryptocoin...

Maybe put it this way.... have you ever met anyone so stupid as some of these people act in real life?  I've not.

In any case as I said, it isn't Atari, it's just a bunch of people who bought the name for their new crypto coin thingy.  You can guess who will cash-out first when the coin goes live.

I think it's sad that some human beings are so fixated on money as to become influencers. I mean, I get it. Money makes a lot of things easier. But to go so far as to mislead millions of people, or to pretend to like something that maybe you don't? To become a living lie? I don't know. Seems like there's gotta be some sort of childhood trauma at play there. Or, at the very least, some kind of disorder.

How is someone so fucking stupid so rich?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

How is someone so fucking stupid so rich?

I mean the guy can't even spell out his stage name properly..

But seriously this tool is only doing this for publicity to sell scam his own shitty consoles onto unsuspecting people did with others with his cheap chinese OEM 'consoles' that he didn't even deliver on  https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/a7f8dw/soulja_boy_is_a_real_scammer_with_his_fakebranded/  https://www.earlygame.com/more/new-soulja-boy-console/

TLDR - Don't give this guy any more publicity. The guy is a criminal who had fame from one song well over a decade ago.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 August 2021