By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Charging for online is worse than in-game purchases

But unfortunately people only go wild against micro transactions and loot boxes so we will never have free online again

This is it. That's the thread

Around the Network

Going wild against micro transactions and loot boxes has worked so well, a decade later I never see them in games anymore!

Stick to single player titles, and f2p for online, and its not a issue.
Only option is to not support it, if you dislike the fact you have to.

It's still free on PC at least. As long as the Windows Store doesn't get too big online will remain free on PC.

The thread is truth.

Though I'd separate loot-boxes and classic micro-transactions, as the idea behind the loot-box is much more sinister.

Around the Network

Simple, straightforward and truthful. This is a good thread.

At least Sony and Microsoft provide some service for the fee.

DitchPlaya said:

At least Sony and Microsoft provide some service for the fee.

Agreed. Their services are a much better value at $60 a year compared to Nintendo's $20 a year. 

But I agree with the OP. Apparently part of the reason the console makers charge for online is to reduce hacking. But the main reason the do it is purely for the money. Microsoft has done it since the beginning (more or less), Sony made it mandatory for most things starting with the PS4, and Nintendo started it as mandatory for most things a year and a half into the life of the Switch.

I tend to stack my PS Plus subscription when there are sales. I know I'm going to pay for the service and get it anyway, so I'd much rather not give them the full $60 a year.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

SvennoJ said:

It's still free on PC at least. As long as the Windows Store doesn't get too big online will remain free on PC.

Ka-pi96 said:

We have free online. PC FTW!

You both have a very fair point

Reasons why I continue to mainly buy games on PC

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850