By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Charging for online is worse than in-game purchases

ice said:

Agreed, I don't like it... especially when it's free on PC it seems like console gamers are taxed for no reason. If the rumors of Xbox Live Gold going free once Gamepass hits a certain milestone are true I hope it pressures the rest to do so.

Microsoft sees themselves as a service based company now, not even a software one.
Their entire thing, and future is based on it.

They, like Sony, make tons off of users that pay for it.
They have conditioned people to pay it now, why would they stop?

Xbox has only just resently (april) made "some" of the f2p games, playable without xbox live gold.
And this was most likely just to kinda match sony, and score some good will with consumers.

Doubt they will go beyound that.
But good on them if they do, even if they do something so like raise gamepass prices abit to compensate for the losses.
(free online, for all games, would be a selling point worth putting on a box, when selling a console)

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
TheBraveGallade said:

of thouse, both mario kart and smash are complete games without online, and animal crossing's updates are free and don't require online either.

only splatoon i'd consider truely online dependant, and doesn't it come with 12 months of online?

Smash and Mario Kart are very dull without multiplayer, their selling point is competition even if on friendly matches. In the past it used to be local coop, but social relationships changed over the time and nowadays kids and teens are more likely to play online with their friends

For Animal Crossing I can imagine playing without online but would be a far worse experience. It's a social interaction game, look how the franchise popularity exploded after pandemic, people were using this game as a way to socialize

Funny, Splatoon is, among those, the only one who I think could really work as a solo game, even if somewhat smaller

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Nintendo release a full single player Splatoon spin off. But yeah, online is the bread and butter for this one. And I think those 12 months online were offered only before Nintendo Switch online was released

Smash online, seems pointless, the matchmakeing is crazy. It seems so random. Half the time you run into people trolling (this is comeing from someone who is bad at smash). Its just a bad fighter imo. Fighters are ment to be 1on1 and competitive, Smash is more like a random clusterf***.  Actually think Smash is more of like a friend casual fighter (local multiplayer), when you have a few friends over or something, its not great as a competitive game (or online).

I 100% agree with Mario Kart online though. Thats where the game shines, online races.

Splatoon online is the main draw right? I know there was issues with cheaters, but thats common in alot of online games.

People have voted with their wallets on consoles long ago starting from Xbox Live to PS Plus and more recently Nintendo online. Enabling companies when they introduce new things and this is what happens. When you go for closed platform you go by their rules. It is what it is.. Either suck it up or play on PC xP

Both are terrible for consumers imo. But then again, I grew up in the plug-and-play era where you bought a static system that never needed updated, and your games were 100% complete and fully tested on day one--so I just might be biased.