By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 25-31 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb

That's two weeks in a row of pretty substantial loss in Switch sales. Perhaps the OLED is more desired than I thought and people are holding off until it comes out.

Around the Network

Time for price cut on OG Switch model

Switch sales look like they'll be pretty low this quarter, compared to last quarter. Probably not going to sell 4 million this quarter. Kinda wish the Switch OLED and Metroid Dread were releasing in September, like the Switch Lite & LA in 2019 and Mario All-Stars in 2020. Would've made for better comparisons.

You know what, I think it would be fun if we had a thread for ongoing iteration sales comparisons. Divide all console sales up amongst each iteration and see which iterations are the most popular. So for this generation it would be:

XSX vs. XSS vs. PS5 vs. PS5 Digital vs. NS vs. NS Lite vs. NS OLED

As more iterations come out we keep expanding it. Just would be kind of cool to visualize it, I think. We could even through Steam Deck into the mix.

PS5 and XS supply are kicking into gear. They have already been cumulatively been beating the Switch and soon enough the PS5 will overtake it in weekly sales. Switch sales are slowing down but it could be at an unprecedented rate. In normal circumstances, the OLED model would've saved them but it seems for the first time in history, even the Nintendo fans aren't super keen.

Either way, nobody should worry that hardware sales are slowing down. It will mean that the third-party games that are so in vogue now with Switch users will dry up but the first-party is not going anywhere. Its crazy to think how the Switch despite its massive success is going to repeat some of history from both the Wii and the WiiU.

Around the Network

Nice to see Europe getting PS5 stocks even if it's still hard to get one

Ps5 about to pass the switch people dint think it would happen for some odd reason.

To feed into rumors. But I kind if agree with the latest of nvidea droping the switch soc and that they made the last 30m and Nintendo have to stretch out that reserve untill the succesor comes. Nvidea seems to be forcing nintendos hand into releasing a succesor and they seem to want to force them to use their latest tech. Not 2 gen old tech at the time the switch released. Switch 2 could be a great generational leap if true. But sadly it means the current switch will barely reach the ps4 and maybe pass it. Wont beat the ps2 or ds like some hoped.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

Ps5 about to pass the switch people dint think it would happen for some odd reason.

To feed into rumors. But I kind if agree with the latest of nvidea droping the switch soc and that they made the last 30m and Nintendo have to stretch out that reserve untill the succesor comes. Nvidea seems to be forcing nintendos hand into releasing a succesor and they seem to want to force them to use their latest tech. Not 2 gen old tech at the time the switch released. Switch 2 could be a great generational leap if true. But sadly it means the current switch will barely reach the ps4 and maybe pass it. Wont beat the ps2 or ds like some hoped.

Nvidia will still be offering Jetson Nano Modules through 2025 (which utilizes the X1), and even the Tegra K1 (released 2014) will be available both in industrial and commercial variants until 2024. Why would Nvidia continue manufacturing X1 units for the Nano Modules, but not for the incredibly popular Switch? Furthermore, why would they continue to manufacture an even older chip vs. a newer chip that is currently part of the best selling video game console on the market? 

It simply doesn't make sense. Also, I don't think Nintendo would ever do another deal with Nvidia if they forced Nintendo to drop their current product and make a successor when they weren't ready. Nintendo is stubborn that way. They like it their way or the highway. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/community/lifecycle

Doctor_MG said:
eva01beserk said:

Nvidia will still be offering Jetson Nano Modules through 2025 (which utilizes the X1), and even the Tegra K1 (released 2014) will be available both in industrial and commercial variants until 2024. Why would Nvidia continue manufacturing X1 units for the Nano Modules, but not for the incredibly popular Switch? Furthermore, why would they continue to manufacture an even older chip vs. a newer chip that is currently part of the best selling video game console on the market? 

It simply doesn't make sense. Also, I don't think Nintendo would ever do another deal with Nvidia if they forced Nintendo to drop their current product and make a successor when they weren't ready. Nintendo is stubborn that way. They like it their way or the highway. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/community/lifecycle

That's exactly why. Cuz why would nvidea want devs to optimize games for an architecture thats not relevant? They want their latest campers and tensor cores and dlss to be upfront in development. Its miss oportunity for them. Like amds succes can be atrubuted in some part to ps4 and x1. They became the primary target for all games. And now the consoles have the latest amd tech wich will push the latest tech even more. Nvidea needs Nintendo for that. They cant have amd dominate the console market. 

The main source of these rumors are being pushed by Moore law is dead channel. They have leak some big stuff before. I would say they are trust worthy. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

That's exactly why. Cuz why would nvidea want devs to optimize games for an architecture thats not relevant? They want their latest campers and tensor cores and dlss to be upfront in development. Its miss oportunity for them. Like amds succes can be atrubuted in some part to ps4 and x1. They became the primary target for all games. And now the consoles have the latest amd tech wich will push the latest tech even more. Nvidea needs Nintendo for that. They cant have amd dominate the console market. 

The main source of these rumors are being pushed by Moore law is dead channel. They have leak some big stuff before. I would say they are trust worthy. 

1: If Nvidia needs Nintendo why would they piss them off by stopping production of just the X1 units while still keeping manufacturing for much older units while the Switch is still at it's height (sales wise)? Nintendo would not want to work with them if they cut off the Switch prematurely. 

2: Nvidia is still the most popular brand of GPU out there. That is where they push their technology. They've offered DLSS technology en masse for anyone who wants to adopt it (as long as they have Nvidia GPU's). In addition, things like AMD FSR are GPU agnostic, so they aren't missing out even if some games do optimize for FSR. In addition, developers aren't targeting PC games the same way they are targeting the console games (that is, optimize based upon specific uniform hardware). AMD isn't getting better optimizations, if they were we would see consistent better performance than NVidia GPU's, would we not?

3: You're basically suggesting that Nvidia, who doesn't want AMD to rule the console market, would prematurely cutoff the Switch, the one console stopping AMD from ruling the console market and a sure fire success, in order to force Nintendo to make a console with unknown success? I don't think so.