By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Internet bullying is scary.

JCGamer55 said:

It happened to me on Twitter one time. That social network is a mess, the environment is so toxic that people can try to "cancel" you for clout, twisting whatever you say in the most ridiculous ways. Case in point, I said that I thought that one turist spot in my city was overrated and somehow that turned into me trying to destroy the city's culture, according to some random people. I'm not even kidding. You just need a couple pseudo-influencers to insult you and then you have dozens and dozens of strangers insulting you basically just for fun. Its quite overwhelming.

Why would you be insulted? Its the internet, nothing really matters on the internet when you can just simply switch off. Its not like in the real world where you actually have to deal with situations. That would be the equivalent of getting an annoying person outside, and then chose to delete that person from the world at will with a snap of the fingers.

On the internet you are like a god, you can control any situation easily at literally the press of a button. I never play online so I'm not sure what goes in there and do not even care to find out, life is too busy to waste my time playing with people I don't even know.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:

Scary how? You can just switch off your computer or simply close the window lol that's ridiculous, there's no think as internet bullying, its all in peoples heads.

Lol what? Of course it's real. Most internet bullying is just a front and nothing serious happens, but some times it can cause real harm and issues (ie. death threats, swatting, stalking.) 

victor83fernandes said:

Scary how? You can just switch off your computer or simply close the window lol that's ridiculous, there's no think as internet bullying, its all in peoples heads.

Ignorant statement is ignorant.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JCGamer55 said:
JackHandy said:

I think social media has made it clear that human beings aren't designed to socialize virtually. There's something about the anonymity that causes people to become ugly, or to indulge in their worst instincts. It's really obvious, and I'm surprised mental health experts haven't started a campaign to raise awareness.

My thoughts exactly. What is worse is that people are not even doing this in anonymity anymore.

victor83fernandes said:
JCGamer55 said:

It happened to me on Twitter one time. That social network is a mess, the environment is so toxic that people can try to "cancel" you for clout, twisting whatever you say in the most ridiculous ways. Case in point, I said that I thought that one turist spot in my city was overrated and somehow that turned into me trying to destroy the city's culture, according to some random people. I'm not even kidding. You just need a couple pseudo-influencers to insult you and then you have dozens and dozens of strangers insulting you basically just for fun. Its quite overwhelming.

Why would you be insulted? Its the internet, nothing really matters on the internet when you can just simply switch off. Its not like in the real world where you actually have to deal with situations. That would be the equivalent of getting an annoying person outside, and then chose to delete that person from the world at will with a snap of the fingers.

On the internet you are like a god, you can control any situation easily at literally the press of a button. I never play online so I'm not sure what goes in there and do not even care to find out, life is too busy to waste my time playing with people I don't even know.

The campaign was probably started then dropped due to lack of social support... or cancelled. (It's all about MP and MTX/likes nowadays)

Don't have to hide when you and your just social peers can basically beat up or shut down whoever opposes you.

How do you fix the bully problem when some of the bullies don't know they're the bully, or when they can operate without consequence?

You're certainly not a God. Users are the poor peasant farmer renting the land from the landlord. Now the rent may be super cheap, but if the landlord also owns and rents the rest of the local land, and let's those farmers mess with your land, that's a problem. Or when you go to legitimately defend your land, and the landlord penalizes you or rips up the contract and kicks you off the land, because the neighbor renter spins the truth or has more threatening backing from other likeminded land renters.

It's one thing if there's plenty of land elsewhere, you just move on, but what about when it's monopolized? What about when you've rented and farmed that land for decades and now you're forced out because the new local renters think and do things differently and want you gone? What about when you're halfway through growing season and you've got a bumper crop and you get 'socially' kicked off the land?

The courts are supposed to be there to fix all this, but today, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. When the law is no longer seen as the truth but instead looked at as 'my truth', well now you never really know what to expect and can't rely solely on the law. The law also wasn't exactly designed with tech and so much separation in mind.

And yes, you could always move elsewhere, save, buy, and expand, but what about when that old landlord who's a behemoth expands into your county? What about when they use their war chest to put their people in charge politically and make it tough for you to remain a viable business there? Once the county basically becomes 'their platform' you're screwed.

What needs to be done is 'land' needs to be set aside for others to 'farm' so there can be legitimately attempted competition, while heavily restraining the big bad landlords from shutting the competition down illegitimately. The law also needs to assure once competition exists, that it doesn't just amalgamate, or conspire to 'price fix', etc. Once this took place many things would be solved, but SM co's have grown so quickly and acquired and suppressed so much competition that they really should be broken up as well, much like "mother Bell" was in the past.

With 3 or 4 competitive versions of Twitter let's say, it would force the platforms to care more about their users, and would also allow for more unique and catered experiences. One might be known for anti bullying, another may be known for being fairly reasonable all around, and another may be full of bullies all being jerks to one another.

However it'll only happen, if the Gov steps in, or if the people do the hard thing, which is ironic, and fail to make their voices heard by refusing to use the existing platforms until there's more options available.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 07 October 2021

victor83fernandes said:
JCGamer55 said:

That would be easy if I was "canceled" on a forum where everyone is using anonymous usernames and profile pictures and not on a social network where people use their real names and photos. We are waaay past the time where the internet was this magic thing separate from our real lives. Thank god nothing serious happened to me but people have lost their jobs, had their bussinesses vandalized and even received real-life violent threats because a virtual mob decided so in the name of "social justice".