By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13

What we're seeing right now is purely a reflection of stock

Around the Network

And that's a shame as it'd actually be great to see how demand varied between the the 2 systems, what Impact Halo and Forza has had this winter etc. Also the impact Playstation is going to have from Its big Q1 line up: Horizon, GT7

eva01beserk said:
d21lewis said:

I think we get a repeat of the 7th gen. Xbox wins NA. PlayStation wins the world.

I dont know about that. We have to see if this momentum stays after the hollidays. Cus we have seen how xbox spikes during hollidays gains some ground the slowes down right after and PlayStation gains ground again. Or if the ground gained during the holidays outpaces the ground Sony takes back the rest of the year. 

I agree with the gains going back and forth.  Playstation has a 3 big hitters coming out in 2022 (Horizon, GT7, and GoW).  If the stock is there, PS5 will move some hardware with those releases.  But I do expect those gains to be temporary, especially going into Q3.  I'm not sure is Playstation will be attending E3 in 2022, but Xbox will.  Xbox will be building the hype for Starfield and just that alone will begin moving hardware in preparation for it's holiday release (barring stock).  I'm not expecting big movements with Stalker 2 or Redfall,  but with a steady release of 1st party games from that point on by Xbox, the back and forth may tighten.

PS5 has always done well with Japanese RPG's and will garner my business there.  And where as those games use to be considered niche, popularity has only increased in the West for them.  So man, I don't know, but it will be fun to watch.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Otter said:

Stock hurt all consoles and the PC market, and 2022 isn't looking much better for those issues to be resolved. We may have to wait till 2023 or beyond before stock returns to some kind of normality.  Hopefully the interest and demand will still be there by then.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Competition is a good thing. I hope Xbox does better this generation. I suspect MS is in a good spot, I think Betheseda will have a lot of PC/xbox exclusives not on ps5, which will be good for hardware sales. Elder Scrolls 6 not hitting the ps5 could have significant impact.

Around the Network
Otter said:

Isn't that like...all Xbox Series and PS5 sales to date? This entire generation so far is a reflection of stock.

Angelus said:
Otter said:

Isn't that like...all Xbox Series and PS5 sales to date? This entire generation so far is a reflection of stock.

Series S demand was lower, has been picking up in Q4. Series S has been available here in stores since summer and is still available right now. It was sold out briefly around Black Friday. Series X and PS5 are only possible to get on reservation, online if you're lucky to catch a stock drop.

Mostly just a shipping war instead of console war.

Angelus said:
Otter said:

Mostly, although there was plenty of Series S stock floating about before November

zero129 said:

Man, love how people are convincing themself in this thread that the only reason Xbox is doing so good is Series S in stock and PS5 sold out.
Anyone ever think if that was the case Series S wouldnt be in stock also why would someone who wants a PS5 buy a Series S just since its in stock. I mean same can be switched and only reason Series S is so much in stock is people want Series X but since they cant get one they settle for the Series S, its not a thing that they would of got a PS5 in the first place as they most likely want an Xbox since MS is doing lots of good things this gen.
Competition is good people, dont play mind games with yourself.

I don't think anyone has said that? But conversation about Xbox doing better than Playstation  in NA was spurred by recent sale comparisons which was dictated by stock (or lack of), so that seems premature. There is obviously demand for xbox Series and there's no denying that. Its deservingly doing way better than Xbox One.

I'm thinking about picking up the Series S, I see Gamestop will give $200 for my old Xbox one S, so for a $100 plus tax that isn't too bad. It's not really a need, and I don't play enough Xbox to justify buying the Series X.