By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 33.90%

No, I don't think so. 23 38.98%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.12%

Total:59
zero129 said:

Steamdeck has a lot to like for PC folks, PS gamers who wants a new portable console and Xbox gamers who want to play xbox games on the go natively. It also hits buttons for Switch Owners who wanted a more powerful Switch then the Oled. Imo i dont see it doing Switch numbers but i see it doing very well.

I'm likely to move over to the Deck once I get one, because in all honesty, the Switch to me has pretty much served as an indie machine, with only 3 Ninty 1st party games I liked (Splat 2 was one of them but I dropped that soon after). I suffered drift con issues with two different sets of joycons, and I'm not a fan of paying £70 for another set either.

I'm not a fan of games on there (usually the AA to AAA) going for £50-60 a pop (and hardly going down in price), so I pretty much have  a limited library of games on there since 2018. As much as I like the Switch as a handheld, it's honestly been one of the worst for me in terms of game offerings and prices, as well as the first Ninty console I've owned that's suffered controller issues, which has prevented me from playing the game I own.

Getting a Deck means I'll have a good deal of access to the game I already own on PC, meaning I'm saving a lot of money (not having to rebuy the games again) and I'll be able to play them at a likely better level of performance as well (also helps that Valve will source parts for replacement, which is something Nintendo still hasn't done yet). 

Since the Deck will also have it's own mini dock and function like an SFF PC when in docked mode, it'll pair up quite nicely with my desktop.

Last edited by Chazore - on 04 November 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:

I'm likely to move over to the Deck once I get one, because in all honesty, the Switch to me has pretty much served as an indie machine, with only 3 Ninty 1st party games I liked (Splat 2 was one of them but I dropped that soon after). I suffered drift con issues with two different sets of joycons, and I'm not a fan of paying £70 for another set either.

Yeah, maybe that will happen to me as well, at least until a Switch 2 (Deck might make me skip a Switch upgrade). The only beef that I have with that is the fact the Deck won't be based on Arm technology and thus I probably won't be able to simply press a button, stopping the game altogether so that I can just forget it up till the moment I pick it up again.

farlaff said:
Chazore said:

Yeah, maybe that will happen to me as well, at least until a Switch 2 (Deck might make me skip a Switch upgrade). The only beef that I have with that is the fact the Deck won't be based on Arm technology and thus I probably won't be able to simply press a button, stopping the game altogether so that I can just forget it up till the moment I pick it up again.

The suspend and resume function isn't a hardware feature with Arm. Steam Deck actually has that exact feature if you continue to use it's default OS.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/hardware

"We’ve built a quick suspend / resume feature into SteamOS. Press the power button, and Steam Deck will suspend your game and go into sleep mode. Push the power button again and it will wake up right where you left off."

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Doesnt do it for me. I have a gaming PC and a gaming Laptop if i need to play games on the go.

Azzanation said:

Doesnt do it for me. I have a gaming PC and a gaming Laptop if i need to play games on the go.

I once knew some guys that would literally unplug and carry their desktop equipment to wherever they wanted to go that day, then set it all up before taking it back home. True PC gamer overlordz.

Around the Network
farlaff said:

I think Nintendo's going to milk the Switch for as long as they can, I mean it's been so successful for them, that they've been able to make a portable only version as well as the recent OLED model. Recent talks with investors also points towards there being no Switch 2 just yet, and tbh I'm not up for waiting another 3-5 yrs for a Switch 2, when the Deck is right around the corner. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Dulfite said:
Azzanation said:

I once knew some guys that would literally unplug and carry their desktop equipment to wherever they wanted to go that day, then set it all up before taking it back home. True PC gamer overlordz.

I actually used to do this rather frequently, back in the 2010's I was always offered to hang out with 3 friends for multiple days at a time, so we would set up LAN parties that would span 3-5 days, and since I lived in a different town from 2 of them, one of the friends who lived around the corner from me would come pick me up and we'd take our desktops to the other friends place, meeting up with the third friend along the way. 

I was fine with it at the time, but times have changed now and so have my friends schedules and hobbies, so we don't really do much of that anymore. 

That being said I still miss LAN parties, because it was you physically handing out with friends and being able to game together, instead of what goes on most of the times these days, where it's you virtually hanging out with a mic. 

Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

I actually used to do this rather frequently, back in the 2010's I was always offered to hang out with 3 friends for multiple days at a time, so we would set up LAN parties that would span 3-5 days, and since I lived in a different town from 2 of them, one of the friends who lived around the corner from me would come pick me up and we'd take our desktops to the other friends place, meeting up with the third friend along the way. 

I was fine with it at the time, but times have changed now and so have my friends schedules and hobbies, so we don't really do much of that anymore. 

That being said I still miss LAN parties, because it was you physically handing out with friends and being able to game together, instead of what goes on most of the times these days, where it's you virtually hanging out with a mic. 

Yeah, the guys I knew would do the same. If I recall correctly, at least one of them would physically walk with the equipment from his house to the other dudes house lol.

Dulfite said:

Yeah, the guys I knew would do the same. If I recall correctly, at least one of them would physically walk with the equipment from his house to the other dudes house lol.

That's raw bro dedication energy right there. 

Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

That's raw bro dedication energy right there.