By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58

I got emudeck running and am in love with PrimeHacks. Metroid Prime with standard fps controls is as good as I knew it would be.

Has anyone figured out how to get MP to run with the correct overclock setting? I put it at 230% and it runs smooth and fast but the audio still crackles a little bit.

Around the Network
snyps said:

I got emudeck running and am in love with PrimeHacks. Metroid Prime with standard fps controls is as good as I knew it would be.

Has anyone figured out how to get MP to run with the correct overclock setting? I put it at 230% and it runs smooth and fast but the audio still crackles a little bit.

I didnt get around to trying Primehacks yet. But maybe its the overclock?. You could also try the audo stratching option in audio settings since im pretty sure primehacks uses a modified version of Dolphin.

Is the a reason for needing to overclock it so much?.

Merry Christmas folks.

In other news, so it turns out that outside of ebay, 2230 ssds are either out of stock or are very expensive for the capacity they are. But it also turns out that my Dell laptop also has a 2230 ssd as its main boot drive and I had my old 1TB Samsung 970 Evo not being used (Since I replaced it with my SN850 when I got my new PC). So I went ahead and swapped in the 970 Evo on my dell laptop and I swapped out the 64GB EmmC with the 512GB Samsung SSD from my Dell laptop onto the Steam Deck.

It was very easy to swap it all out and reinstall Steam onto it. I actually didn't have a USB-C flash drive but I do have a USB-C dongle for my Macbook Pro 16 which worked with the Steam Deck flawlessly when reinstalling the OS. So essentially I now have 512GB steam deck for free.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zero129 said:
snyps said:

I didnt get around to trying Primehacks yet. But maybe its the overclock?. You could also try the audo stratching option in audio settings since im pretty sure primehacks uses a modified version of Dolphin.

Is the a reason for needing to overclock it so much?.

I’ll look for the audio scratching option. Yes it’s a fork of dolphin. 

When I run prime the graphics and sounds stutter with slow down. Probably to do with shaders since Nintendo architecture doesn’t use an API for that, it uses hardware. So the emulator has to pause things to catch up with the extra process. Once I increased the overclock it ran fast and smooth. There’s just a tiny audio issue still. 

There’s gotta be a sweet spot below 100% that will cause the frames to skip just right but I couldn’t find it. 

I installed emudeck as well, been playing mario odyssey and botw. I also managed to get skyrim/fallout4 mods working which is great.

Around the Network

My Steam replay: https://store.steampowered.com/replay/76561197971115174/2022

Nice!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

I installed emudeck as well, been playing mario odyssey and botw. I also managed to get skyrim/fallout4 mods working which is great.

Do these emulators have built-in mods?

KLAMarine said:
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

Do these emulators have built-in mods?

I'm not sure about that, I installed mods using vortex.

Conina said:

Update of previous compatibility results broken down by SteamDB rating (2022-10-15):

A total of 5947 out of 7974 tested Steam games are now rated "playable+".

32.0% of the 1231 "90+ games" and 22.5% of the 3977 "85+ games" are now "verified".

67.6% of the 1231 "90+ games" 50.0% of the 3977 "85+ games" are now "playable+".

25.4% of the tested games are (without tweaks) "unsupported" (not playable or only with major problems). The higher the SteamDB rating, the lower this percentage becomes: at 80+ rating it's only 20.2%, at 85+ only 18.2% and at 90+ only 16.2% "unsupported".

1479 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

Update of previous compatibility results broken down by SteamDB rating (2022-12-30):

A total of 7121 out of 9421 tested Steam games are now rated "playable+".

32.9% of the 1278 "90+ games" and 23.2% of the 4097 "85+ games" are now "verified".

69.2% of the 1278 "90+ games" and 52.4% of the 4097 "85+ games" are now "playable+".

24.4% of the tested games are (without tweaks) "unsupported" (not playable or only with major problems). The higher the SteamDB rating, the lower this percentage becomes: at 80+ rating it's only 19%, at 85+ only 17.5% and at 90+ only 15.4% "unsupported".

Almost 1800 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable", more than 50% of my Steam games is tested by Valve: