By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 33.90%

No, I don't think so. 23 38.98%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.12%

Total:59
hinch said:

There are some crazy stuff on the interwebs and then there are some really nifty stuff. Here's a guy on Reddit who's prepped their games for the SD -

I mean it doesn't look very practical though seeing as they have to mess around with tiny micro-SD's to play games xD Looks cool though.

Gives me an idea to reuse some of my old cards.

Lol, this looks cool indeed. XD

Around the Network

It's getting closer. I'll be out of town for most of the week, but eager to know how the release is goin to be.

Ah, and also this:

Every game verified for the Steam Deck - https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/steam-deck-verified-games/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Seven p.m., waking up in the evening
Gotta be fresh, gotta go online
Gotta start the Steam client, gotta check my E-Mails
Checking my E-Mail inbox, checking the spam folder

But there ain't a Steam mail
can't order my Steam Deck
Gotta make my mind up
How long must I wait?

It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to Steam mail, Steam mail
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to Steam mail, Steam mail
Partyin', partyin' (Yeah)
Partyin', partyin' (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin' forward to the Steam mail

Well... maybe more luck next friday. :(

Around the Network
Steam Deck: Q1 Shipping Details
"Hi!

Happy launch day! We’ve seen some questions about what it means to be in the Q1 reservation group, and when these folks will receive their emails. Here’s how it breaks down.
  • All people who are in the Q1 reservation window on the Steam Deck store page will receive an order email by the end of March. (Q1 is Quarter 1, or January through March).
  • The first batch of emails has already gone out this morning.
  • The next batch of emails will go out on Monday, March 7th. (It turns out the logistics work out better if we don’t try to ship over a weekend.)
  • We’ll continue sending emails to Q1 reservers in the order their reservations were made on a weekly basis through the end of March (March 14th, 21st, 28th)
  • In April, we’ll start going through the Q2 queue in a similar fashion.

We’re working through our production schedules, and will have news soon for folks in the After-Q2 bucket."

God damn it Valve. I have to wait two weeks before I can get a chance of even paying for it? I was on the December list you hoes!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Steam Deck review from Eurogamer
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2022-steam-deck-review-a-handheld-pc-capable-of-console-quality-gaming

The good

Imagine PlayStation 4-level performance at Nintendo Switch mobile resolution or better and you have some idea of what Valve's Steam Deck can actually deliver in terms of raw performance. With minimal tweaking, you're playing Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War at native resolution at 30fps and to put it frankly, that's quite a marvel to behold.

Forza Horizon 5 seemed to have issues in pre-release coverage (and during the review period too, to be honest) but since the last major SteamOS upgrade, I'm running it at a flat high preset with 4x MSAA at 30fps - it's like a mini-Xbox One rendition of the game, only with improved quality settings over the One S version. Doom Eternal? Whack up everything to ultra settings, engage dynamic resolution scaling to counter frame drops on big explosions and glory kills and you're locked to 60 frames per second from start to finish - incredible. There are limitations to be aware of and specific weaknesses to look out for, especially when CPU and GPU compete for system resources, but the fact is that this Steam Machine offers eye-opening levels of performance for any portable device, let alone a handheld.

Performance is the surprise package with Steam Deck because based on my tests, it effortlessly bests AMD's prior Vega-based graphics - even with titles that do not run on native Linux. To emphasise the class-leading performance of the RDNA 2 GPU core in the Van Gogh processor, I benched games including Control, Death Stranding and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Steam Deck and an Asus Zephyrus G14 laptop, featuring a Ryzen 9 4900HS processor with Vega 8 graphics and a 35W TDP.

The not so good

The audio-video experience offered by the handheld is both good and bad. Concerns were raised about the quality of the screen when the first hardware reviews emerged a couple of weeks back and the display does feel compromised. Colour reproduction, black levels and brightness are all average and the omission of variable refresh rate (VRR) is a missed opportunity for a system where so many games unlocked sit between 45-60fps. Sit Steam Deck side-by-side with Switch OLED and it's a night and day difference in favour of the Nintendo machine and I think I even prefer the original Switch LCD display. Acoustics are a mixed bag: on the one hand, the speakers themselves are extremely impressive and it's rare that you can actually compliment a mobile system on its bass levels - this is great! However, fan noise is undoubtedly intrusive. It's not that the Steam Deck is loud as such, it's more that the high pitch of the fan under load is problematic.

Ultimately, achieving decent battery life comes down to the user tuning the game if necessary and using the in-game settings and system-level tools to get the battery life to where you want it. It's all about the maths: the maximum I've seen the Deck draw from the battery is in the region of 27W (15W for the processor, the balance on screen, storage, memory, WiFi etc) and the Deck has a 40wHr battery. 40 divided by 27 is 1.48, meaning that if you run demanding games flat-out, you'll get an hour-and-a-half of battery life. However, reduce settings, lower resolution and crucially use the 30fps frame-rate cap and the load on the battery reduces, improving system stamina. Valve does give you a useful performance metrics overlay which does all of the maths for you. So, we're looking at 1.5 hours or so running God of War on PS4 quality settings with an unlocked frame-rate, which rises to two hours if you cap to 30fps. On the flip side, I could run Cuphead at 60fps for well over six hours.

The inconvenient truth

There is one final warning though. Steam Deck looks like a console, but it's not a console. It's still very much a PC. Right now at least, there's not much in the way of hand-holding with the Deck and getting stuff to run well is usually down to the user to sort out. Balancing settings, figuring out battery life on any given game - it's all on you. Coming to the Deck after say, using a Switch, you realise how much developers and platform holders look after you in getting the most out of a resource-constrained piece of hardware.

Steam Deck gives you freedom, but it may take you some time to figure out what you're doing, and on a game by game basis no less. And yes, don't expect every game to work. I mentioned earlier that many titles don't work yet and you can face a situation where a game that used to work receives an update that takes the game out of commission on Steam Deck - Cyberpunk 2077 used to run, but the latest 1.5 update changes that, crashing on boot.

If the work-in-progress nature of compatibility and the constraints on battery life don't put you off, the notion that this isn't a console and that traditional PC settings tweakery remains a constant might make the difference. Perhaps the biggest takeaway from the Steam Deck experience is that you gain a greater appreciation for how developers and publishers do so much of the hard work for you - a situation that may improve as more games receive Deck-specific profiles.

Very cool piece of hardware, but not yet for the average gamer. An yes it's big

But they also say it's more comfortable to hold in your hands than the Switch.

So if you buy the 512GB version of the Steam Deck, you get 68,294 points on Steam.

A lot of games tested on Steam Deck: https://www.youtube.com/c/Pc-gamingIt/videos

Conina said:

A lot of games tested on Steam Deck: https://www.youtube.com/c/Pc-gamingIt/videos

Super cool montage. Bummer that people are still not able to receive their machines.