By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
Conina said:

If you are into that, you should watch the video of the PC-handheld expert The Phawx:

If an older/indie game runs fast enough with 5 - 9 Watts TDP, the RDNA2 efficiency is waaay better than the other PC handhelds (GPD Win3 + Aya Neo Next)

Cheers, Conina, I'll give him a watch. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I've seen Linus' video. Looking good so far.

This should be interesting:

"Valve releases Steam Deck CAD files allowing anyone to 3D-print custom shells"

https://www.engadget.com/valve-steam-deck-cad-files-release-175935793.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKnB3cqKso7MkcTpcO4lnMTYRgjpUUdelcGcwQQUSKCP0tUUV8bCmmzjEqaZr6InMCnhbuuhUQI29Lw8GCBlpyrd5YhsP3FBXXC7BrIKNTt3yzmareF-v_tz53JnH5UiYgiuIX9ArwKDS5ZLNT9znkUw_dPrkhYjGrDedgzEfbTP

farlaff said:

https://www.engadget.com/valve-steam-deck-cad-files-release-175935793.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKnB3cqKso7MkcTpcO4lnMTYRgjpUUdelcGcwQQUSKCP0tUUV8bCmmzjEqaZr6InMCnhbuuhUQI29Lw8GCBlpyrd5YhsP3FBXXC7BrIKNTt3yzmareF-v_tz53JnH5UiYgiuIX9ArwKDS5ZLNT9znkUw_dPrkhYjGrDedgzEfbTP

I like how last year we had Sony taking shots at the custom faceplate situation, and then there's Valve just flat out letting you 3D print a shell of their system for you to test out the feel/handling of. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

LTT teardown of the Steam Deck -

Looks quite easy to get into and whats good is that only one size screwdriver required.

Another thing is that the emi shield (foil) that from the stock SSD looks to be reusable. Should you want to replace or upgrade the M.2 Drive with another. Unfortunately the battery isn't so easy to replace (or possible) as it is glued in with a delicate ribbon cable around wrapped around it.

Last edited by hinch - on 14 February 2022

Around the Network
Chazore said:
farlaff said:

I like how last year we had Sony taking shots at the custom faceplate situation, and then there's Valve just flat out letting you 3D print a shell of their system for you to test out the feel/handling of. 

Yeah, I hear you. These "imperial-like" postures should really disappear and give space for open license technologies and experiences.

hinch said:

LTT teardown of the Steam Deck -

Looks quite easy to get into and whats good is that only one size screwdriver required.

Another thing is that the emi shield (foil) that from the stock SSD looks to be reusable. Should you want to replace or upgrade the M.2 Drive with another. Unfortunately the battery isn't so easy to replace (or possible) as it is glued in with a delicate ribbon cable around wrapped around it.

I'm curious about this. Gonna see it as soon as work is done. 

With the number of 'Verified' games for the Steam Deck rapidly rising, I'm really hoping my entire library will be verified by the time I get mine! Current expected availability still shows after Q2 for me, so hopefully the number of Verified games will be at least a thousand by then.

gtotheunit91 said:

With the number of 'Verified' games for the Steam Deck rapidly rising, I'm really hoping my entire library will be verified by the time I get mine! Current expected availability still shows after Q2 for me, so hopefully the number of Verified games will be at least a thousand by then.

By the time I get one (likely another year from now), I'd roughly expect at least 45-55% of my library to be somewhat verified. I'm mostly going to use the device for indies anyway, so I'm not expecting big things from the AAA verified parts. 

There are some crazy stuff on the interwebs and then there are some really nifty stuff. Here's a guy on Reddit who's prepped their games for the SD -

I mean it doesn't look very practical though seeing as they have to mess around with tiny micro-SD's to play games xD Looks cool though.

Gives me an idea to reuse some of my old cards.