By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

Metallox said:
Shiken said:

Remember the Steambox and how they were going to kill the weaker consoles that were already on the market?

/thread

You better be careful with this comment in 2023 when the thing has sold more than 100 million units. 

Forget the Switch, this thing is aiming to stomp all three current consoles on the market combined 2 years in a row at that rate.  No point in being careful with this much DOOM on display.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Remember the Steambox and how they were going to kill the weaker consoles that were already on the market?

/thread

This isn't aimed at killing consoles. Its for people who are into PC and portable gaming. And for people who have extensive Steam libraries or want an emulation beast that can do everything and can take on the go.

This is a mini PC that can act like a console but is open to as much customisation that PC are capable of with none of the restrictions. There are literally 10's of thousands of games playable on this day one (not including emulated games/cloud - thats a pandora's box right there) and is even capable of playing 'next gen' games. For just $50 more than a OLED Switch lol

I don't know if it's going to sell well or flop or end up somewhere in-between. But I will say this: the Steam store is a hell of a leverage point. How many companies have had that sort of library on day one? It's crazy.

zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

Wow, that's one cool piece of tech. I want to get one just to have version 1 lol.

But I don't really play on handhelds and it's rather awkward to use on TV I imagine.

Pretty easy judging by the videos you can use pretty much any USB dock you might already have or they will be releasing an official one and it will work with any Controllers, keyboards etc that already does on PC. So pretty much when docked it works just like a full fledged PC if you want it to.

Sure, but you'll be running a system targeted at 800p on a 4K screen. For the premium version a small form PC makes more sense. I'll stick to my (stationary) gaming laptop. It never leaves its spot, I just use it to save on space and no 'competition' for use of the tv. Heat is a problem with these though, a cool running gaming laptop is hard to find.

Currently my laptop CPU is 81c, gpu 84c, running FS2020, that's with boost disabled, cpu limited to 2.2 ghz (40% CPU 99% GPU) I'm kinda anxious about the optimizations on the 27th. Might get too hot when it starts to use the rest of my CPU! I wonder how this handheld will handle demanding games.

Anyway it looks very cool, jut the idea of having FS2020 on a handheld!

Switch is less than half the weight and depth which is important for portability.

Battery 2-8hrs means 2 hrs for intense gaming.

Power of ARM will keep X86 handhelds down.

Around the Network

It's cool and will carve out a niche but I don't see it being super successful.

Stranger things have happened.

Is there more info on the cpu/gpu clock range? Those are some big jumps. Is it by any chance a dock mode and handheld mode? If so we can expect x1 level of performance in handheld and ps4 on docked? That battery life explains some but Still needs more info.

Any ways I see this appealing only to people who already have gaming pc's and have a library. RDNA2 IGPU's are supposed to be coming next year as well as LPDDR5. So this level of performance and probably more will be available in ultra light laptops. and ultra lights already start with 6 cores from AMD.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Simplified table since most cells are identical

Edit: merging cells doesn't work so the specs for the lower models are identical in the empty cells besides them

Low end model Mid tier model High end model
Price $399 $529 $649
CPU Zen 2 (4 core, 8 thread, 2.4-3.5 GHz, up to 448 GFlops)
GPU RDNA 2 (8 core, 1-1.6 Hz, up to 1.6 TFlops)
RAM  16 GB LPDDR5 (5500 MT/s)
Storage (all models feature SD card slot for more storage) 64 GB eMMC (slowest, PCIe Gen 2 x1) 256 GB NVMe SSD (faster, PCIe gen 3 x4) 512 GB NVMe SSD (fastest, PCIe Gen 3 x4)
Screen 7 inch 1280 x 800 LCD, 400 nits, 60 hz
Battery  40 watt (2-8 hour battery life)
Connectivity  Wi-fi (802.1 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 5.0 (no 5G)
Audio Stereo, 3.5m jack, dual array microphone, multi-channel audio over USB C
Size
298mm x 117mm x 49mm
Weight
Approx. 669 grams
Last edited by numberwang - on 15 July 2021

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Now that I think about it, this is the first handheld that I am aware of that should be more powerful than a base ps4. Now obviously the ps4 is old but hopefully, this means that the Switch 2 will also be more powerful than a base ps4 as that will be releasing even later.

Yeah, the Switch 2 should have something like 2.4 tflop Ampere when docked and 1.2 tflop in handheld mode when it releases in 2023-2024 I would imagine, which would be a good bit above PS4 even in handheld mode. I just hope they do a better job on storage than Valve did here, the base model's storage is quite disappointing, and the expandable storage via the SD card slot seems to be limited to UHS-I, which is nowhere near fast enough to be able to run 9th gen games off of the SD card, you will only be able to use the SD to store games and shuffle them back and forth between the SD card and the internal storage. Nintendo needs an SSD in every Switch 2, and they need to support at least UHS-III SD cards on Switch 2 imo, SD Express on PCIe x1 if they can swing it, so that you can run games directly off the SD card with no need to shuffle games back and forth between SD and the internal storage. 

The switch 2 will need to be closer to PS4 Pro in handheld mode for people to consider it a worthy generational upgrade. The Switch success has paved a way for Nintendo to have hardware longer on the market and hopefully close the gap just a tad with their next gen offering. The WiiU disaster meant the Switch probably come out before they wanted it to and what they hoped it would be in terms of power.

Not really seeing a big market for this. It's big for a handheld, getting into game gear territory, and the battery life is low for AAA games, even considering portable chargers being available. Memory is also an issue here since games won't be targeted towards its specs as with the Switch. Hades on Steam reccomends 15 GB of Free Space. 5.8 GB on Switch. Doom Eternal is 37GB for single player, compared to 18.8GB on Switch. So, I guess you'll have to be buy a nice size SD card if games run off them.

As a physical console, it's not up to snuff with PS5 or XBox One. We'll see how well it runs games down the line. They may opt to treat this more like a PC and have constant small upgrades, but that would take away one of the key advantages of a console, the simplicity of knowing every game will run on it.

To me, it feels like the market for this is more along the lines of a tablet than a Switch. It's PC, so you can run mostly whatever you want with it. So, it will be great for all your apps and such. It's a bit bigger and clumsier than a tablet, but if you want a tablet that can play games well, that's a reasonable trade off.

The thing with this is that I don't see anything that it does better than any other product. If you happen to need the unique set of capabilities it offers in equal measures than great. But I don't think that's a large market.