By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June NPD 2021 thread

Another killer month for Switch, Series X|S is doing great too, I guess they got those restocks after upgrading their Xcloud servers.

Somewhat predictable this NPD doesn't get nearly as many comments as the others when you look at the numbers...

Around the Network
Ryng said:

Leaks:

Hardware dollar sales increased 112% when compared to a year ago

I wonder what hardware dollar spending is actually at, considering scalping prices.

Series X doing very well

Nice to see Monster Hunter Rise in the top 10 YTD.
We already knew its doing great in Japan and globally but nice to see America getting in on the action as well.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Farsala said:
Ryng said:

thread update.

We know Switch is at least 400k because it had a double digit YOY increase over last year (365k)

Switch was 365k last year? You should update the old threads if we have confirmation.

Now i remember, the reason i didn't post it was because it was a "secrect leak", but then everyone knew about it so whatever.

I still can't reveal PS4/XBO numbers though sadly.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

To expand on what the XBS's performance means for the other systems, well, assuming $150M in revenue for it that would leave $251M for everything else. Assuming the PS4 & XBO are only 5% of the total revenue, that would leave $231M for the Switch and PS5. Assuming those systems had a SKU split 3:1 in favor of the hybrid and Blu-ray models, respectively, and the PS4 sold 250k, then the Switch would have sold around 410k. If the PS4 sold closer to 230k, the Switch may have sold closer to 440k. If the Switch sold about 500k, though, that would put the PS5 potentially under the 200k mark. Between the two of them, though, the PS5 & Switch sold somewhere between 650-700k, unless the SKU split was much closer than 3:1 in the cheaper models' favor. For example, if it was a 50/50 hybrid/Lite and digital/BD split, then if the PS5 sold 250k the Switch would have sold 474k. If the Switch sold only 425k, the PS5 would have sold 277k. Of course, if the PS4 & XBO had a larger combined revenue share, say, 10%, that would reduce the combined revenue share of the Switch & PS5. But in any case, the PS5 likely sold over 200k and the Switch over 400k. Hopefully we'll get better numbers at some point.

So, how do these numbers align with the VGChartz numbers?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

VGC has the XBS undertracked significantly, since the available info indicates that it sold close to if not over 300k. Also, their overall hardware total for June has to be less than the actual, because even if we assume 100% of sales of each current platform is from the more expensive SKU, there's still a major revenue shortfall, even after factoring in what they also have for the PS4 & XBO. Even if we adjust the XBS up to 300k, there's still a shortfall, so unless the XBS sold considerably more than 300k, then the Switch and/or PS5 are still undertracked by VGC as well, or the PS4 & XBO's combined sales are a lot more than 70k.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

VGC has the XBS undertracked significantly, since the available info indicates that it sold close to if not over 300k. Also, their overall hardware total for June has to be less than the actual, because even if we assume 100% of sales of each current platform is from the more expensive SKU, there's still a major revenue shortfall, even after factoring in what they also have for the PS4 & XBO. Even if we adjust the XBS up to 300k, there's still a shortfall, so unless the XBS sold considerably more than 300k, then the Switch and/or PS5 are still undertracked by VGC as well, or the PS4 & XBO's combined sales are a lot more than 70k.

I'm waiting until we get a better idea from the ResetEra prediction thread before adjusting our US figures, so I only have to adjust them once. Also I should point out VGC automatically put the last week of June for NPD figures into July. Not sure if you have taken that into account or not? 

As of right now here are our US figures for the 5 week period NPD has for June:

1. NS: 547K
  2. XS: 289K
  3. PS5: 272K
  4. PS4: 46K
  5. X1: 40K

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

I'm waiting until we get a better idea from the ResetEra prediction thread before adjusting our US figures, so I only have to adjust them once. Also I should point out VGC automatically put the last week of June for NPD figures into July. Not sure if you have taken that into account or not? 

Oh. So the monthly "Hardware by Date" graphs don't always strictly go by the same 4-4-5 calendar used by the NPD Group?

In that case, there might be some overtracking with the Switch and/or PS5, unless one or both systems broke heavily towards the cheaper of their respective SKUs.

*sigh* I miss when we got actual numbers instead of having to do this guessing game BS.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:
trunkswd said:

Oh. So the monthly "Hardware by Date" graphs don't always strictly go by the same 4-4-5 calendar used by the NPD Group?

In that case, there might be some overtracking with the Switch and/or PS5, unless one or both systems broke heavily towards the cheaper of their respective SKUs.

*sigh* I miss when we got actual numbers instead of having to do this guessing game BS.

I'd love for NPD to release actual numbers. Monthly graphs don't always line up with NPD. They are automatically set depending on when the final day of a week is. Though I did make sure for my monthly sales articles to include all 5 weeks. I just had to add that one extra weeks figures. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.