By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

BraLoD said:

If only they would drop the regular model to $200 instead...

This is the 3DS XL situation, a New 3DS like model is still to come, I fear it might cost a PS5 tho, lol.

Switch is already the cheapest current-gen system, with by far the best library of games. No idea why it needs to be cheaper still, but this is obviously just relative to you and your subjective needs/wants.

Subjectively speaking for myself, someone could just hand me a PS5 right now, and I'd still be 50/50 on whether I'd want to clear the one spot on my media shelf it could actually fit comfortably, or if I'd just flog it off to a family member that would get more from it.

If only Sony could release a PS5 model that's more practical...

Around the Network

The sheer amount of salt I've read online already (got up half an hour ago) from people who let themselves get hyped up by rumors and clickbait youtubers is sadly hilarious.

I for one am kinda glad this doesn't seem to be a substantial jump in power; as a base Switch owner I don't want games to be poorly optimized on my system or Pro exclusive, and I think people really need to finally accept for their own good that Nintendo isn't about playing the graphics arms race.

I actually kinda think they might have wanted a switch pro out, but the state of the current chip production line is uh...
just bad.
Very bad to produce mass amounts of a DLSS capable console for 400$.

The meltdowns and entitlement I've seen on the Internet over this are so funny to see, you'd think they're 10 years old

Anyway, the best thing to do is to take "insider" info with a grain of salt, even if the person has a good track record, they could still get dated information (plans can change) or could end up mixing up info about different things (or eveything is just BS).

I’m speechless, in the worst way possible.

Around the Network

Not really something that I need since I play mostly docked anyways, although the dock having a wired lan port is a good plus. You can buy the new docks separately, so I might end up doing that.

Torpoleon said:

Not really something that I need since I play mostly docked anyways, although the dock having a wired lan port is a good plus. You can buy the new docks separately, so I might end up doing that.

You can always buy a USB 3.0 to Lan adapter and add that to your Switch dock for Ethernet :P

People all over the internet are acting as if Nintendo promised them a 4K Switch with PS5 graphics and then delivered this instead.

Nintendo never promised a revision at all; the rumour-mongers did that. It's not Nintendo's fault a bunch of clowns desperate for Youtube clicks told sensationalist tall tales about a big graphics upgrade.

Just because Playstation and Xbox normalized mid-gen refreshes with a considerable leap in power, doesn't mean Nintendo is obligated to follow suit; if the past 16 years should have taught us something it's that Nintendo marches to their own beat.

If this isn't for you, fair enough, it's not for me either. But holy guacamole, some of the takes I've read online this morning are among the worst I've read in a long, long time.

It looks like a nice incremental upgrade. This would also be a great time for Nintendo to announce 64GB Switch game carts that people have been getting talked about for years now.

Good reason to buy for people who don't own the Switch already but incredibly disappointing for current Switch owners that want more out of their games. The performance of some games, even Nintendo ones, are suboptimal. I was really hoping their next installment in the Switch family would address this issue of hardware limitations as it's only going to be exacerbated, especially with third parties, as time goes on. Also 64gb of internal storage for a gaming system in 2021 is frankly unacceptable.

That being said I don't think this is the last hardware revision or Switch model we're going to get. I believe this is the Switch ver of 3ds xl (and will eventually replace the original Switch) when the Switch ver of New 3ds is on the way. It's just taking longer than expected but I think there will be a hardware upgrade at the tail end of the Switch lifecycle maybe early 2023?