By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Original 16 mm Film From Wild Gunman Arcade Cabinet Has Been Recovered

ireadtabloids said:

Glad that people are getting stuff in order for the 50th anniversary celebrations in 2024.

It’s a shame they only have 2 of the 8 reels, but hopefully they are able to progress more quickly with preserving the rest.

I'm a bit confused ?. Is your mention of progressing more quickly with preserving the rest referring to parts of section D still unrestored, because if not like you said they only have those 2 section D reels and you can't preserve the rest if you don't have it, still hopefully this story gets some traction and we end up like has happened with some other restoration projects where the news of it being found and restored aids in finding the missing pieces. also maybe Nintendo has a full set, but even if they do another full set would be awesome and more archive copies would see them having a much brighter future .

Last edited by mjk45 - on 04 July 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Hopefully the other reels are found and preserved.

I’m uncomfortable with the Bayonetta name calling.
I know people that really value her as a character.

ireadtabloids said:

Hopefully the other reels are found and preserved.

I’m uncomfortable with the Bayonetta name calling.
I know people that really value her as a character.

Bayonetta is the brightest hope Nintendo has had in decades. I think he was exaggerating for the effect, proving that Nintendo knows exactly what people want; they’re just careful about it. 

CaptainExplosion said:
snyps said:

Bayonetta is the brightest hope Nintendo has had in decades. I think he was exaggerating for the effect, proving that Nintendo knows exactly what people want; they’re just careful about it. 

No, I just hate Bayonetta, but I like that the game pushes Nintendo's boundaries. I just wish they'd do so without enforcing harmful stereotypes about witches (cold-blooded and/or sluts who summon demons).

Yes I'm saying that as a fan of Banjo-Kazooie, but only because Gruntilda is a hilarious villain.

That’s a positive stereotype imo. Sluts who summon demons are great, whether they’re cold or warm hearted. . 

Bayonetta took a ton of heat 7 years ago from the political correctness mob. Judging from the posts on this thread, I am not sure that even Platinum could publish another one today in the west let-alone havie Nintendo create something like this. Honestly, if there is a Bayonetta 3 in the works, given the rapid deterioration of freedom of expression in the west, we may never see it. It's a shame, we gamers used to have the mindset that if you objected to a game or found it offensive, you just didn't play it, now we have to slander it and demand its existence be erased. Sure there used to be demands for censorship from conservative parents, but they weren't gamers. Today we are seeing demands for censorship from within the gaming community itself and that is an absolute poison pill for the future of gaming.

I suspect that classic treasures like Wild Gunman will never see the light of day in the form of any kind of release from Nintendo in 2021 for this same reason as well. In traditional western films men were strong, they protected women and visible minorities were not off the table for being the target of jokes and stereotypes. I suspect that these games would have at least some of those elements in it. Even a passing reference to something like that today would generate outrage and demands for censorship. Movies and entertainment back then didn't give a sh* about the SJW agenda and that does not fly today. Honestly, I am not even sure that an innocuous game like Duck Hunt would be considered acceptable today by western millennials. A game like Punchout would definitely not be allowed.

That is why I now collect and play retro games as my primary form of entertainment. I can enjoy entertainment from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's before the mob took control of expression. Also, you can't easily censor what I own physically. I can enjoy lost treasures like Mother 3 that would be repugnant and completely intolerable to western audiences today. Honestly, fellow members of my generation are becoming way too much like the Happy Happyists, in my view. Cult-like thinking is a slippery slope that only gets more and more extreme with time.

Around the Network
Conina said:

You have to use your hands to play the game?
That's like a baby''s toy!

CaptainExplosion said:
Conina said:

You have to use your hands to play the game?
That's like a baby''s toy!

Yes, the Kinect did SO WELL in 2015.

Back to the Future II reference:

CaptainExplosion said:
Mandalore76 said:

Back to the Future II reference:

I know that. Just saying that by 2015 we had the Kinect, which was hands free gaming, and it sucked, so those two kids talking to Marty look like even bigger idiots now.

One of them walked thousands of miles to throw a ring into a fire. When he arrived he wasn't able to do it.

Yeah... he had grown to a bigger idiot.

Kinda funny Nintendo was doing FMV games 20 years before things like Final Fantasy VII on Playstation.

Also kinda funny that Sega distributed Nintendo's arcade games (among other companies) in those early, early days, 20 years+ before the SNES and Genesis would butt heads. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 01 August 2021