By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Original 16 mm Film From Wild Gunman Arcade Cabinet Has Been Recovered

Unsurprisingly made by Gunpei Yokoi. The man brought us so much. RIP.

That’s one expensive game. Thanks for the history lesson!

Around the Network

Old school gamers thought that the first 30 seconds of 1-2 Switch trailer was them showing a new Wild Gunman.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

You have to use your hands to play the game?
That's like a baby''s toy!

Glad that people are getting stuff in order for the 50th anniversary celebrations in 2024.

It’s a shame they only have 2 of the 8 reels, but hopefully they are able to progress more quickly with preserving the rest.

Last edited by ireadtabloids - on 03 July 2021

CaptainExplosion said:
snyps said:

Unsurprisingly made by Gunpei Yokoi. The man brought us so much. RIP.

That’s one expensive game. Thanks for the history lesson!

He gave us so much, and newer generations of players have yet to hear what a great man he was. :(

As much as I am amazed by the Miyamoto revolution at Nintendo; I believe the mature nature of Yokoi’s Nintendo are what made Nintendo #1 for two generations. 
What a coincidence that Nintendo lost its grip on the market once Yokoi was pushed out. Sadly, I don’t see Nintendo publishing a realistic shooter ever again.  

Around the Network

Man, that's good to hear. I'm always happy when something this obscure gets a new lease on life

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

CaptainExplosion said:
snyps said:

As much as I am amazed by the Miyamoto revolution at Nintendo; I believe the mature nature of Yokoi’s Nintendo are what made Nintendo #1 for two generations. 
What a coincidence that Nintendo lost its grip on the market once Yokoi was pushed out. Sadly, I don’t see Nintendo publishing a realistic shooter ever again.  

Well if they ever brought back Wild Gunman nobody's saying it has to be a realistic shooter like the original. It'd more likely be in an aesthetic similar to the NES version because that version is better remembered.

That would be amazing. I don’t think Nintendo (1st party) will ever produce anything involving bullets. Best we’ll get is squirt guns.. but that’d still be a cool western game if done right. I miss the Yokoi era!!

A re-re-release of the Mad Dog McCree games for Switch would be nice:

Last edited by Conina - on 04 July 2021

CaptainExplosion said:
snyps said:

That would be amazing. I don’t think Nintendo (1st party) will ever produce anything involving bullets. Best we’ll get is squirt guns.. but that’d still be a cool western game if done right. I miss the Yokoi era!!

You forgot that they published Slutonetta 2. Plenty of bullets there. They also let Joker into Smash, complete with an uncensored side arm. Also, have you forgotten who one of Mario's most notorious enemies is?

Besides, they can always make a creative workaround, like make it a sci-fi Western game to justify more cartoonish guns.

Platinum isn’t a 1st party studio. Lol Bullet Bill!!

CaptainExplosion said:
snyps said:

Platinum isn’t a 1st party studio. Lol Bullet Bill!!

But Nintendo still published Slutonetta 2, and Slutonetta herself is in Smash (unfortunately).

That’s what’s weird about the whole situation. After Yokoi got pushed out, Nintendo doubled down on the family friendly image. Even Yokoi’s Metroid would no longer be produced in a Japanese 1st party studio. Published, yes.