Colombia 0 $0.00 0%

Ecuador 0 $0.00 0%

Paraguay 0 $0.00 0%

Peru 0 $0.00 0%

Uruguay 0 $0.00 0%

Venezuela 0 $0.00 0%

Totals: 8 $2,917.44  
Game closed: 06/13/2021

Welp, Messi will sleep happily tonight. At least Mr. Shithead won't get to use the trophy for political ends.

Around the Network

Messi didn't score the winning goal. What can be said of Messi's contribution in the game against Brazil?

I'm quite happy with the result :)

KLAMarine said:

Messi didn't score the winning goal. What can be said of Messi's contribution in the game against Brazil?

I don't know why winning this tournament changes anything about him as a player. He's one of the most influential footballers of all time, those who wouldn't acknowledge him unless he won something with Argentina made no sense.

LurkerJ said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't know why winning this tournament changes anything about him as a player. He's one of the most influential footballers of all time, those who wouldn't acknowledge him unless he won something with Argentina made no sense.

Exactly. It's not his fault that most of his team members were little more than average.

Nobody is blaming Ibra for not winning anything with Sweden (or Bale with Wales, or Salah with Egypt etc.).

Football isn't a game where it's enough to have the best player in the world in your team to win a trophy. The others need to be at least good as well.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

Neymar was understandably pretty torn up about it. In the 2014 WC which was also held in Brazl he got injured really badly and could no longer play the rest of the tournament.

He only missed the 7-1 defeat if I recall correctly, which would have happened had he been on the pitch anyway. More importantly, he was injured for the entirety of 2019's Copa América, meaning he still doesn't have a winners medal with Brazil.

Barozi said:

Exactly. It's not his fault that most of his team members were little more than average.

Nobody is blaming Ibra for not winning anything with Sweden (or Bale with Wales, or Salah with Egypt etc.).

Football isn't a game where it's enough to have the best player in the world in your team to win a trophy. The others need to be at least good as well.

Well, nobody would blame Ibra, or Bale, or Salah, because no one has ever expected those nations to perform anyway. Argentina has a lot of history in football and that creates a lot of expectations, especially when a player like Messi's involved. But they also had a fantastic team, at least on paper. The country had a fine generation of footballers coming through at a similar time, with the likes of Di Maria, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi, Pastore - all still playing alongside other established players like Mascherano, Tévez, Zabaleta, Diego Milito and so on. It was at least reasonable to expect that this Argentina team would've done better, and it was especially pathetic how they lost two back to back Copa América finals against Chile.

Yeah, some of these players never quite reached the levels we expect of them, and truth be told, on an international level they all flopped except for Di Maria and Messi. Just saying this wasn't a case of Messi playing in an otherwise useless team, or at least it shouldn't have been.

Comparatively, Argentina's team nowadays looks on paper much worse. But as you see, football isn't played on paper.

Egypt is the record champion of the African Cup of Nations. The last time they won it was in 2010. Salah had his national team debut in 2011.

Since then Egypt competed in 5 African Cup tournaments and couldn't win it once. They failed to qualify the first three times, were the runner-up in 2017 and only made it to the round of 16 in 2019.

Yet that doesn't make Salah a meh-ish player. (especially considering he scored 45 goals in 70 appearances for Egypt).

All I'm saying is that maybe Argentina as a team just wasn't good enough to win something until now despite having some good players. But there's no reason to blame it on a single player everytime and not question the team as a whole.

I mean even back in 2014 when Argentina made it to the final of the World Cup, they only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Messi scored 4 of those goals. It's clear that the team would've performed far worse without him despite all these other players you've named.

LurkerJ said:
KLAMarine said:

Its more about his relationship with Argentinian fans. It changes nothing for him or for the opinion of the world on him, but it matter for the opinion of argentinians and it's press about him. 

I am happy that my Jinx on the Brazilian team it is still working. I said Brazil will never win anything with Neymar in the team. It's working so far.

EnricoPallazzo said:

I am happy that my Jinx on the Brazilian team it is still working. I said Brazil will never win anything with Neymar in the team. It's working so far.

It will probably work for at least a bit longer.

I pretty much doubt Brazil is going to win 2022 World Cup. I mean, not if Neymar is the best player we have.

IMO, this was on paper a worse team than the 2014-15-16 finals(bar the midfield), and was the first time they faced a clearly superior team (I'd say that Germany was kinda a bit better player by player and Argentina was a bit better than Chile player by player)

So great feat by Argentina, Brazil hadn't lost in south america since 2015. I'm happy for Messi