By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has your life gotten better or worse since the Pandemic began?

Has your life improved since pandemic began?

My life has improved 13 24.07%

My life stayed about the same 24 44.44%

My life gotten worse 17 31.48%

Total:54

Pandemic coincided with my two last years in university. Studies became just some shitload and the transition to virtual lessons was awful.
Next thing is that i had to find an internship, and guess what, i'am still searching cauz no one is willing to hire in the previous months with that lockdown in France. Even part time jobs at stores and fast food restaurants are hard to get and didn't want me.
Hope things get better, but being jobless is something really depressing and difficult to live especially when being a foreign student.

Around the Network

Oh hoho, it's gotten better alright 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Most of my life has basically stalled, not really better or worse.

Unless it's work related, I don't like working at home, I don't see many people anymore, I'm unfit as I no longer walk to work everyday. I'd like to go back even if it was only me in and a few others in the office.

Hmm, pie.

Farsala said:

A mixed bag for me too.

Pro-

Focused on getting a new job, and got it.

Saved a ton of money not going out so much.

Haven't gotten sick since the start of the pandemic. Masks work!

Got paid during lockdown.

Cons-

Family got Coronavirus

Was obligated to move twice during the pandemic, so when I landed in my new cities with 0 friends, it stayed that way.

Can't go out for some social time.

Masks suck when it is 90F and 90% humidity.

Overall I gained a lot financially, but nothing socially. I would trade all my money for more social success. So in the end I have to think I am worse off since the pandemic began.

2 days ago, I made this post. And it has already improved substantially. Just have to keep it up.

Better and worse, I ended up voting for about the same.
My girlfriend dumped me months ago, but it didn't have to do with the pandemic at all. We started dating in 2019, and I would say the pandemic did hurt some things for us. But like I said, that wasn't the catalyst for the break-up.
I've had more time to play video games, which is nice.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Not much has changed. I lost my aunt and was denied going to her funeral due to the restrictions though, which was tough. But otherwise, things are mostly the same since I can't work from home and have to be physically present.

Ooh, I can go on and on with this one, but I'll try to keep it fairly brief. In summation, a mixed bag but generally negative..

On the plus side: I've been able to focus on my work more and not be distracted by social occasions and such. My student loan interest accruals were paused for over a year which has saved me probably in the range of 5-6 grand. I've had more time catching up on my backlog of games, TV shows, films. More quality time with the fam at home. Work remotely so I wasn't really affected on this front in terms of the work experience (though this last one is more neutral I s'pose).

Negative? Ohh, as I'm sure many have experienced to some degree, first there's the drastically increased isolation (and this is coming from an introvert generally speaking, but even I've gotten increasingly lonely and stir-crazy). Then there's just the general negative outlook on a societal/cultural level in various aspects which has been rather demoralizing (I'll just leave it at that).. I've read/heard about and witnessed some, shall we say, unappealing human behavior/attitudes that I very much disapprove of during this time. Again, leave it at that.

Seeing so many small businesses crumble, mental health of many deteriorate in the wake of this just sucks and irks me immensely, things like that.. I frankly despise masks, too.. Pay rates for the outlet I primarily write for decreased by a decent chunk for several months as advertisers had to spend more cautiously during this time. It's thankfully gone back to the usual rates though but it did take quite awhile. Increasingly sedentary lifestyle, more drinking, generally the conditions sort of invite a more unhealthy lifestyle - bringing the inevitable weight gain. Though I guess you can say I'm somewhat to blame for this one.

I do feel like I was already sort of teetering on the borderline of at least a mild depression before the pandemic but I felt like I was progressively, slowly but surely getting my life on track, pushing myself to be more social, being more productive, etc.. Improving my physical and mental well-being at least a bit. But this past 12-15 months has largely derailed that and pretty much sealed the deal in sinking me into a depression, and I'm finding it hard to pull myself out of it. It's not at a dire level or anything, but I do tend to feel like I'm in a lethargic, almost zombified state at times, and I feel like this past year contributed towards that quite a bit.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

A little bit worse, only about traveling back to France to see my family.
What scares me the most is that at 37 years old, I would have never imagined and predicted that more than 50% of the people could be so deeply and quickly brainwashed like that. The positive point is that it provided me rich clues for understanding how WWII was possible.

Amnesia said:

A little bit worse, only about traveling back to France to see my family.
What scares me the most is that at 37 years old, I would have never imagined and predicted that more than 50% of the people could be so deeply and quickly brainwashed like that. The positive point is that it provided me rich clues for understanding how WWII was possible.

Brainwashed by what exactly? 

Pretty good. Got a decent raise at work and a 5 year Union Contract with a 2.1% increase in pay YoY (inflation around 1.8 in our area). They raised heat pay to 1 extra USD vs .25 cents. I was laid off for all of 4 weeks thankfully (I make more at work than laid off). I bid on and got a Weekend shift job (still full time actually a little extra pay) and will have 4 days off a week vs meh days off. I'm looking to be debt-free for the most part by the end of 2022 (knock on wood last time I was here a young uninsured lady pulled out in front of me on a highway). Only bad thing is no hiking last summer because I live in trashinois