By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 9-15 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 5 Million

I wonder if the PS5 will ever reach a point we're its baseline is over 400k for an extended period, once supply issues are solved, its library has grown, maybe even after a price cut or revision.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I wonder if the PS5 will ever reach a point we're its baseline is over 400k for an extended period, once supply issues are solved, its library has grown, maybe even after a price cut or revision.

I doubt that will ever happen. I don't think it ever happened with the PS4 ether.

I believe any hardware hitting and maintaining a baseline of around 400k weekly has more to do with factors outside the demand for it. Key of which is its price. You just have to have a $199 price point if you want to be pushing those kinda numbers and preferably not at the tail end of your hardware lifespan. And then there is the components supply issue. Basically, for every similarly sized wafer, even on a 20nm (cheaper process), you can get 6 times the SoCs (118mm2 on a 20nm process) than you can get PS5 APUs (300mm2+ on a 7nm process). And Sony can't just take the entire fabs supply line for their PS5.

If we see a $199 PS5 sometime next year? then sure lol.

Switch in Japan alone, a single country, sells more than Xbox Series globally.

PS4 needs to sell another 3.11 million to outsell the Gameboy; I think it can make it, but it's by no means guaranteed.

curl-6 said:

PS4 needs to sell another 3.11 million to outsell the Gameboy; I think it can make it, but it's by no means guaranteed.

It should make it eventually, however at current rates I think Switch will pass it first, probably in Calendar Q3 of next year.
So PS4 will briefly drop down to 5th best selling hardware of all time before climbing back to 4th, maybe in Q4 next year.

HigHurtenflurst said:
curl-6 said:

It should make it eventually, however at current rates I think Switch will pass it first, probably in Calendar Q3 of next year.
So PS4 will briefly drop down to 5th best selling hardware of all time before climbing back to 4th, maybe in Q4 next year.

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say PS4 will overtake Gameboy, it's just going to take a while with it moving so slowly.

Around the Network

PS4 is 2.79M away from GB in shipments as of March 31st. It shipped 1M ending in March so we’ll see what this next quarter brings for a clearer picture. I will say that it has a very good chance at passing GB though. Being at the end of the life cycle it’s all about the shipments. If it does pass GB, that’s what the news from all the major sites will be. No one is going to care what vgchartz is "estimating" their sales to be at that time because in the end that will be adjusted just like they did with PS3 regardless. The record books only remember official numbers.

PS5 not doing that terribly in Japan.

Random_Matt said:

PS5 not doing that terribly in Japan.

Hardware, perhaps.

Software, i don't know.

In UK :

CloudxTifa said:

In UK :

It’s still doomed!