By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ray Tracing and Why You Love to See It!

This thread reminds me of why I don't come here often anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Why on earth are two people taking issue with Raytracing definitions and what existed years before current RT tech?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

NobleTeam360 said:

The only three games that I've played that have ray-tracing are Minecraft, Control, and Cyberpunk and in each case it made the game look significantly better. So I'm in the "I hope more developers adopt it in future games" camp.

It'll eventually just become core graphics engine design as hardware power will be able to handle the calculations easily.  Since it is currently the most accurate and closest representation of how it works in real life, it's not going anywhere.

freebs2 said:

I can see Ray Tracing global illumination becoming a standard in like 10 years. It would make sense since:
- It produces substantially better results than current techniques.
- From my limited understanding on the matter it would save significant game production time.
Those two reasons alone are sufficient to justify widespread adoption. Atm though the performance penalty is still too high. It will take time.

It is true, and I even said "but just barely" in the video.  But even so, NVIDIA is pumping out graphics cards that can handle it at 60fps, so I think we're not climbing uphill with realtime ray tracing anymore, as the penalty can be nearly negated based on what kind of game and how it's used.  Example: Spider-Man Miles Morales is absolutely and perfectly playable at 30fps in which the ray tracing adds quite a layer of additional polish to the game's visuals. And that's on a last-gen built engine, so if Spider-Man 2 comes out built for the PS5 and has a 30fps option for ray tracing, I might just pick that over 60fps!

vivster said:

This thread reminds me of why I don't come here often anymore.

This isn't so bad... It's when people make it personal and start attacking one another or calling names that even on my own channel I start issuing warnings and blocks.  As long as it's civil discourse, even if there is no end result, people disagreeing and arguing is often a learning experience.  It's when people start calling each other names and begin making personal attacks that it disintegrates any real intellectual conversation into petty bickering.  But I'm not a mod here, so this thinking only applies to my own channel where I do my best to keep everyone civil lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
freebs2 said:

I can see Ray Tracing global illumination becoming a standard in like 10 years. It would make sense since:
- It produces substantially better results than current techniques.
- From my limited understanding on the matter it would save significant game production time.
Those two reasons alone are sufficient to justify widespread adoption. Atm though the performance penalty is still too high. It will take time.

It is true, and I even said "but just barely" in the video.  But even so, NVIDIA is pumping out graphics cards that can handle it at 60fps, so I think we're not climbing uphill with realtime ray tracing anymore, as the penalty can be nearly negated based on what kind of game and how it's used.  Example: Spider-Man Miles Morales is absolutely and perfectly playable at 30fps in which the ray tracing adds quite a layer of additional polish to the game's visuals. And that's on a last-gen built engine, so if Spider-Man 2 comes out built for the PS5 and has a 30fps option for ray tracing, I might just pick that over 60fps!

I'm not talking about the implementation of real time ray tracing in games, but more specifically the use of ray tracing for global illumination. For that matter next-gen consoles (PS5/XBSX) don't have the proper capabilities yet. I can see some games implementing it optionally on PC for RTX cards (or for  next-gen AMD cards) - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is the first proper example for this matter - but as long as baseline platforms are not up to the task it won't become a standard.

freebs2 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I'm not talking about the implementation of real time ray tracing in games, but more specifically the use of ray tracing for global illumination. For that matter next-gen consoles (PS5/XBSX) don't have the proper capabilities yet. I can see some games implementing it optionally on PC for RTX cards (or for  next-gen AMD cards) - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is the first proper example for this matter - but as long as baseline platforms are not up to the task it won't become a standard.

You might not have known this, but both Returnal and REVillage use ray tracing in their lighting engines, and inherently both use global illumination.  Returnal uses it more for assisting global illumination calculations in a constantly reconfiguring/reorienting environment (where pre-baked lighting would be too hard to pull off) while REVillage uses it more directly to apply and bounce light to a broader number of nearby surfaces which is why with ray tracing on, many "dark" areas are brighter if there's lighting nearby.

Remember, ray tracing isn't new, it's just being done in real time, now.  A lot of the things people think are not possible have been possible for decades, it's just a matter of how to do it in real time without completely tanking the game's performance.  But either way, both Returnal and REVillage stand as examples of what you're asking for as opposed to the more "common" eye candy of using ray tracing to properly create accurate reflections.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Yes mate. I would rather play Breath of the wild on a 720p handheld screen than The order 1886 in 4K with Ray tracing, ?