By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ray Tracing and Why You Love to See It!

Spindel said:

Could not care less about RT, just give me a game that is fun to play with good game play mechanics.

Both are not mutually exclusive.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Spindel said:

Could not care less about RT, just give me a game that is fun to play with good game play mechanics.

While RT could be used as an gameplay element just as physics can I see less of an use for it that couldn't be done with "cheating" meaning no need to have actual real time RT. 

From a game play perspective I see more to gain from real time CFD than real time RT to be honest. 

But I might just lack imagination. 

Peh said:
zippy said:

Industry buzzword to hype the new consoles.

Every word in this sentence is wrong except "to" and "the". 

He's not wrong.

It -is- an industry buzzword to hype new hardware (not just consoles).

Ray Tracing has been around for decades, Generation 6 consoles had games that used Ray Tracing.

It's not new. It's not novel.

Spindel said:
Hynad said:

While RT could be used as an gameplay element just as physics can I see less of an use for it that couldn't be done with "cheating" meaning no need to have actual real time RT. 

From a game play perspective I see more to gain from real time CFD than real time RT to be honest. 

At the moment developers are using " Dedicated Hardware" Ray Tracing to "Bolt on" effects to current games (I.E. Shadows and Reflections) rather than using it to hardware accelerate operations... Once developers start using it to hardware accelerate say... Global illumination for example we can then spend more shader processing to bolster visual fidelity elsewhere.

At the moment, the few games that tend to use Ray Tracing don't necessarily look significantly/generational better, but rather simply look different... Until you start nit-picking finer details like screen-space reflections and its inherent visual artifacts... But let's be honest, in a fast-paced first person shooter, you aren't going to notice the visual flaws in screen spaced reflections vs ray tracing if screen-spaced reflections are of acceptable quality.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Peh said:
zippy said:

Industry buzzword to hype the new consoles.

While RT is nice to have, there are many other techniques that can get pretty close results for half the sacrifice in performance. And remember that the most impressive scene we've seen so far in games (UE5 demo) was not using RT.

Pemalite said:
Peh said:

He's not wrong.

Ray Tracing has been around for decades, Generation 6 consoles had games that used Ray Tracing.

Since when did consoles rendered scenes with Raytracing in realtime?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

At the moment developers are using " Dedicated Hardware" Ray Tracing to "Bolt on" effects to current games (I.E. Shadows and Reflections) rather than using it to hardware accelerate operations... Once developers start using it to hardware accelerate say... Global illumination for example we can then spend more shader processing to bolster visual fidelity elsewhere.

At the moment, the few games that tend to use Ray Tracing don't necessarily look significantly/generational better, but rather simply look different... Until you start nit-picking finer details like screen-space reflections and its inherent visual artifacts... But let's be honest, in a fast-paced first person shooter, you aren't going to notice the visual flaws in screen spaced reflections vs ray tracing if screen-spaced reflections are of acceptable quality.

Returnal is used exactly in that manner, to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system  and is also used to take the 3D audio to the next level: audio environment queries are accelerated with hardware ray tracing support. 

And please, don’t be dishonest and disingenuous about how and when Ray-Tracing actually became something viable for real-time game visuals and sounds. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 21 May 2021

Pemalite said:
Peh said:

He's not wrong.

Spindel said:

Reminds me of Motorhead (an old arcade racer made by Digital Illusions about 20 years ago) that was so stunning with the reflections in the cars. 

Well it was all cheating since it was the same track specific dynamic texture just being repeated over and over again. But when you actually played that game (I loved it BTW) you really didn't noticed that detail you just noted that there where reflections and it looked cool. 

And that is my main problem when, in my opinion, to much resources are wasted on graphical "lul" in games, t h e y  d o  n o t  m a t t e r if the game is good and immersing because of gameplay. 

EDIT:// here is a video of Motorhead gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlXnI2R4gAE you might laugh but at the time of its release it was visually really stunning. 

Last edited by Spindel - on 21 May 2021

Double-post

Mobile editor acting up on me this morning. -__-

ironmanDX said:

RT has seen some solid implementations so far on console. Spiderman and WatchDogs come to mind.

I can't wait to see what future games have to offer and how it's used.

I'll be honest, one of the best implementations I've seen is actually Wolfenstein: Youngblood.  I mean, even the reflective bits on crates were fully ray-traced and I saw a distorted "me" in realtime.  I showed that in my actual review of that game, too.  That's one of the best examples of ray tracing, and that's why I used the weapon scope as an example because even the weapon scope is real time ray traced for things behind you, and I could literally SEE enemies behind me in the scope!  You should check it out!

shikamaru317 said:

I’m pretty impressed by many games that have used it so far. When done right it improves visuals quite a lot. I have also seen a few bad implementations though where the visual improvements were minor or sometimes even looked worse than screen space reflections in some scenes, making the big framerate hit from RT not worth it.

But RT goes far beyond just improving shadows, reflections, and lighting, there are other uses for RT that are far more innovative, including ray traced audio that realistically bounces off walls, ray traced enemy AI sight lines, and more. It’s definitely not just an industry buzzword like one user above stated, it is a major feature that will see wider and wider scale usage in the years and decades to come.

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

Returnal is used exactly in that manner, to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system  and is also used to take the 3D audio to the next level: audio environment queries are accelerated with hardware ray tracing support. 

And please, don’t be dishonest and disingenuous about how and when Ray-Tracing actually became something viable for real-time game visuals and sounds. 

I can't tell if y'all watched the vid and are just regurgitating the points for people in this thread who didn't, orrrrr if you just so happen to be saying things I said as well, hahaha!

zero129 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Agreed. Just like 60fps and 1080p. There's basically no difference unless you spend hours upon hours analysing every detail. I'd rather just play the games.

Thats sarcasm right?.

EDIT: Watched the video very good, keep up the good work mate.

I'm about 99% sure he's being sarcastic, lol... And thanks!  Hope you become a sub one day!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

The video does a good job explaining what ray tracing is. 

However, it is misleading to say that it is neither technology or marketing.  Sure, ray tracing is a physics concept, but you could also say that "3D" is just a math concept.  However, back in Gen 5 the vast majority of games used new technology to render 3D graphics.  When gamers were saying "3D", they weren't really talking about the math concept so much as the different graphics in the games.  Ray tracing is the same thing.  There is new technology that makes the graphics look different in the games using this physics concept.

Likewise, ray tracing is marketing, because that is the purpose of showing off graphics.  Gameplay is often hard to advertise.  Graphics are fairly easy to advertise.  Just show a screenshot or video and you can show off the graphics.  These big budget games put the largest chunk of their budget into graphics, because that is what markets the game.  Graphics = marketing.  That is why all of this talk about ray tracing is really marketing.