Iceland 0 0%

Malta 1 5.56%

Ukraine 2 11.11%

Bulgaria 0 0%

Lithuania 2 11.11%

San Marino 0 0%

Other 5 27.78%

Total:18

After being cancelled last year, the Eurovision Song Contest will return on Saturday 22 May 2021!

First semi-final was held yesterday (18/05/2021), second one is tomorrow (20/05/2021). The 10 best songs of each semi-final will then join the Netherlands and the 'big five' in the grand final saturday. Some of the favourites this year appear to be Italy, Malta, Ukraine, France, Switzerland and Iceland.

Playlist

Full recap

Semi-final 1 recap

Semi-final 2 recap

Who do you think will win this year? Which ones are your personal favourites?

Around the Network

Ukraine was.. something. I can see why Malta is one of the favorites, though it wasn’t really my genre. Would be funny if they won, and it takes the event to a tiny island state. From the previews of the big countries Germany seemed really, really stupid. But facepalms are part of the charm of Eurovision. Australia also wasn’t really my genre, but I think they were just a bit of a victim of not being able to physically be there. Glad Belgium went through, wasn’t really expected. I’m curious to see what the other countries will bring tonight!

Just watched the full recap video.... from that: Bulgaria, czech republic, estonia, ireland and spain, and the songs that I prefered the most.

Then I go look at the vote options the OP gave.... and notice like non of those are amoung them.

JRPGfan said:

Just watched the full recap video.... from that: Bulgaria, czech republic, estonia, ireland and spain, and the songs that I prefered the most.

Then I go look at the vote options the OP gave.... and notice like non of those are amoung them.

Bulgaria is in the poll, it will probably do well in the contest.

Ka-pi96 said:

Why isn't Australia's song in English? Usually I dislike those that do English songs rather than sticking to their native language, but... Australia speaks English, no?

I think Italy and Ukraine are the best.

Oh and Iceland should get an award for "creepiest video".

Australia's song is fully in English, that's just an Australian accent :)

Around the Network

Other: Norway. I like the song and it has that x factor that a song needs to be recognizable and radio ready for the European crowd.

I would love to see either France or Switzerland for the win, both deep and artistic songs

from the ones we've seen so far, Cyprus is the most impressive performance by far

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Ka-pi96 said:

Why isn't Australia's song in English? Usually I dislike those that do English songs rather than sticking to their native language, but... Australia speaks English, no?

In the past, this wasn't even allowed, you had to sing in the (or a, if there are more than one) native language of the country.

It got removed because as the Eurovision got expanded, English-speaking countries would have gotten a massive and unfair advantage - though up until the 80's, French and German-speaking countries got a big advantage due to this rule.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

In the past, this wasn't even allowed, you had to sing in the (or a, if there are more than one) native language of the country.

It got removed because as the Eurovision got expanded, English-speaking countries would have gotten a massive and unfair advantage - though up until the 80's, French and German-speaking countries got a big advantage due to this rule.

They changed it a few times actually. All languages were allowed in 1956-1965, 1973-1977 and 1999-now. Only in 1966-1972 and 1977-1998 there were restrictions.

But yeah, the numerous victories of Ireland is probably what made them change it back in 1999.

OTBWY said:

Other: Norway. I like the song and it has that x factor that a song needs to be recognizable and radio ready for the European crowd.

I fucking loved Norway's, I reckon he'll be top 7. Along with Ukraine, theirs had a lot of energy in it 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem