By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games With Best Pacing?

Which games do you think have the best pacing?

For me to name a few:

Resident Evil 4 - This is the king when it comes to pacing in games and the reason why it's my favorite of all time. Never a dull moment and the game switches between battle, puzzle and bosses with great finesse. Environment and enemy changes are done to great effect as well.

Uncharted 2 - Besides the stealth levels in the beginning, I feel like the rest of the game is nearly a perfect ride with barely any moment overstaying its welcome.

Super Mario Odyssey - Not having to restart a level from the beginning after getting a moon really keeps the flow going.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Ikaruga

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think the third act of RE4 left a bit to be desired, at least in terms of the setting. First and second acts were great, though. Definitely agree with Uncharted 2. I would add TLOU1 alongside it.

You already named my top pick, RE4. It does such a masterful job of ratcheting up the tension, easing off to give you a breather, then jacking up the pressure again in a rhythm perfectly calibrated to be intense but never tiresome.

Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein The New Order, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, and the original Dead Space are also brilliantly paced.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 May 2021

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger for sure. Most traditional Zelda games have good pacing too, but if I had to pick one I would say A Link to the Past. As for a more modern title...Jedi Fallen Order was pretty on point I felt.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

The Last Story. It's a great more modern JRPG without the bloat. It's pretty short. Not as short as SNES era RPGs which were usually 10-15 hours at most. While I love JRPGs most are badly paced as they are bloated. Xenoblade is a rare exception to me. Well Xenoblade 1. Xenoblade 2. I like X a lot but it has some issues. A recent offender to pacing is Persona 5. Great game but dear god does it drag itself with the Memento stuff.

Stylish action games do this well with the likes of Bayonetta & DMC. Zone of the Enders 2 is very well-paced. The more recent MK story modes are well done. Yakuza 0 and Judgment are masters of this. Nier and Nier Automata.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Metal Gear Solid
Gears of War 1
Twilight Princess
Chrono Trigger

When I read this title the Final Fantasy games immediately came to mind, especially FF1-10 era, i.e. when Sakaguchi was working on them.

Doom 2016 and Eternal. Just balls to the wall insane action from start to finish.

Retro vote, Metal Gear Solid.