By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 25-May 1 - PS5 Sales Top 8 Million

Torpoleon said:

@curl-6 To be fair, Snap's release only accounts for 2 days of sales, Maybe next week will still be just as high to compensate. Although I do agree that they are definitely still having stock issues, as well as Sony & MS.

Since Japan sales for the following week dropped from 165k to just 70k I don't see global sales being close to 500k again.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Switch sales are just insane.
Also we got sale positions in the UK for April https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-13-nintendo-switch-comes-out-top-in-april-as-ps5-stock-slows-uk-monthly-charts
Switch > XBS > PS4 > PS5

What happened to PS5 stock in the UK for it to go under the PS4?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
jason1637 said:

Switch sales are just insane.
Also we got sale positions in the UK for April https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-13-nintendo-switch-comes-out-top-in-april-as-ps5-stock-slows-uk-monthly-charts
Switch > XBS > PS4 > PS5

What happened to PS5 stock in the UK for it to go under the PS4?

They pushed out a lot of stock (100k+) in March for their Q1. 

Nothing can stop NS.
Supplies can stop PS5 OTOH.
How about MS consoles? MS itself stops them all.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Switch is rolling along to a magnificent year and it's awesome to see. PS5 is stock restrained and I hope XSeX and XSeS start selling more. They really do deserve better sales than this

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Nintendo confirmed in their Q&A that Q1 2021 (Jan-Mar, FQ4) sales for NSW was their all-time best figure.

Link to Nintendo Q&A  < Just received official translation today.  1st response contains the confirmation.

--

As for production, we achieved steady hardware production through the end of last calendar year, and as a result, in the previous fiscal year we set a record for our highest fourth-quarter sales volume.

--

VGCharts Top Hardware 17 Weeks

NSW with a strong week (bit weaker than I expected, figured Snap would bump NA/Eur to get up to ~550K), losing little ground against a stronger 2020 week last year.  Will cross 8M in Week 18 and be the fastest to ever do so.  10M around the corner.

Lead over NSW 2020 now down to 527K, but it only has to tank two more weeks, as in week 20 NSW 2020 finally levels off due to stock depletion.

mk7sx said:

Nintendo confirmed in their Q&A that Q1 2021 (Jan-Mar, FQ4) sales for NSW was their all-time best figure.

Link to Nintendo Q&A  < Just received official translation today.  1st response contains the confirmation.

--

As for production, we achieved steady hardware production through the end of last calendar year, and as a result, in the previous fiscal year we set a record for our highest fourth-quarter sales volume.

--

VGCharts Top Hardware 17 Weeks

NSW with a strong week (bit weaker than I expected, figured Snap would bump NA/Eur to get up to ~550K), losing little ground against a stronger 2020 week last year.  Will cross 8M in Week 18 and be the fastest to ever do so.  10M around the corner.

Lead over NSW 2020 now down to 527K, but it only has to tank two more weeks, as in week 20 NSW 2020 finally levels off due to stock depletion.

I didn't think last year we'd be comparing Switch to one of DS peak years. Likewise I didn't think this year we'd be comparing 21 Switch to 20 Switch.

trunkswd said:

I've noticed this for a few weeks now, but I want to point it out.  Switch is currently selling over double what it did during the same time in 2019.  And 2019 was actually considered a pretty good year for Switch.  They sold over 19m Switches in 2019.  If Nintendo could somehow keep up this crazy pace, then they will sell 38m Switches this year. 

Now, I doubt that will happen because 2019 was exceptionally strong in its second half compared to its first half.  On the other hand, Switch sold 28m last year and it's holiday lineup was extremely weak.  If 2021 gets new Switch hardware and a strong holiday lineup I can easily see it splitting the difference between 38m and 28m, say 33m.  Switch is likely to not just set the annual sales record this year but to go past it by several million.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

I've noticed this for a few weeks now, but I want to point it out.  Switch is currently selling over double what it did during the same time in 2019.  And 2019 was actually considered a pretty good year for Switch.  They sold over 19m Switches in 2019.  If Nintendo could somehow keep up this crazy pace, then they will sell 38m Switches this year. 

Now, I doubt that will happen because 2019 was exceptionally strong in its second half compared to its first half.  On the other hand, Switch sold 28m last year and it's holiday lineup was extremely weak.  If 2021 gets new Switch hardware and a strong holiday lineup I can easily see it splitting the difference between 38m and 28m, say 33m.  Switch is likely to not just set the annual sales record this year but to go past it by several million.

Would be awesome but chip-shortages could ruin it all.

Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Would be awesome but chip-shortages could ruin it all.

I think the different models somewhat allow Nintendo to get around shortage issues.  For example, I believe the Switch Lite and regular Switch are made at different factories, and that meant that Nintendo could produce the Lite model even the base model was in short supply.  It isn't a perfect solution, but it means that some people just buy the Lite model instead.

I am assuming that the new Switch model will use different types of chips from the base and Lite models.  So if one type of chip is in short supply then they can make more of a different model.  It's not a perfect solution, but it is better than having all of the systems use the same type of chips.