By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 25-May 1 - PS5 Sales Top 8 Million

The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

I've noticed this for a few weeks now, but I want to point it out.  Switch is currently selling over double what it did during the same time in 2019.  And 2019 was actually considered a pretty good year for Switch.  They sold over 19m Switches in 2019.  If Nintendo could somehow keep up this crazy pace, then they will sell 38m Switches this year. 

Now, I doubt that will happen because 2019 was exceptionally strong in its second half compared to its first half.  On the other hand, Switch sold 28m last year and it's holiday lineup was extremely weak.  If 2021 gets new Switch hardware and a strong holiday lineup I can easily see it splitting the difference between 38m and 28m, say 33m.  Switch is likely to not just set the annual sales record this year but to go past it by several million.

That's assuming their second half of the year isn't weak again though. They'll need more than No More Heroes 3 and Diamond/Pearl to pass 30 million. And they probably will, but its a bit early to say, this time in 2020 we all assumed they had a strong hand for the holiday season.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kakadu18 said:

Would be awesome but chip-shortages could ruin it all.

I think the different models somewhat allow Nintendo to get around shortage issues.  For example, I believe the Switch Lite and regular Switch are made at different factories, and that meant that Nintendo could produce the Lite model even the base model was in short supply.  It isn't a perfect solution, but it means that some people just buy the Lite model instead.

I am assuming that the new Switch model will use different types of chips from the base and Lite models.  So if one type of chip is in short supply then they can make more of a different model.  It's not a perfect solution, but it is better than having all of the systems use the same type of chips.

There's still a finite number of factories and production capacity available to Nintendo to manufacture anything. I think stock limitations will continue for at least the rest of this year.

Eagle367 said:

PS5 is stock restrained and I hope XSeX and XSeS start selling more. They really do deserve better sales than this

Do they though? I mean what have they done to deserve great sales? In terms of new games and exclusives they have pretty much the worst, most boring and uninspiring launch windows of any major systems ever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 May 2021

Around the Network

UK is lucky, in France it's really hard to find one.

So it seems .

trunkswd said:

Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 17,126
  2. PlayStation 5 - 4,472
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 3,168
  4. PlayStation 4 - 911
  5. Xbox One - 475
  6. 3DS - 12

I never noticed Xbox was so competitive with Playstation here in my neck of the woods, unless this week is abnormal.

I mean, in my experience I knew just as many people with an original Xbox as a PS2, and about equal between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone as well, but anecdotal evidence doesn't really tell you much.